When did used speed parts get so expensive? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 18Likes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

When did used speed parts get so expensive?

Every time I find someone to buy some used parts from, they're asking 75% or more of what it would cost me to just buy it from Summit. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate, but if I can get a new cam for 245 with a warranty then why would I pay 180 for a used one. I found the perfect set of wheels and the guy wanted $1050 for what I could buy new for $1200. I've always tried to offer 50% of what new cost is and a little more for high demand/low wear n tear items. Guys are nearly offended at my offers.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Am I just so old that I think batteries should cost $40 new and cams are $100?

1966 Mustang 302ci 4r70w, csrp front discs, 8.8 rear, EPAS, Fitech for fuel

Last edited by copracr; 08-29-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:08 PM

Garage
I wish parts were low cost, but I don't see it happening unless there is a significant recession. People just like these car too much and so drive all related prices through the roof.

5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), Dual Ex, T-10, FITech FI, Crane XR-i Ignition, Front Discs, Heim Jointed Struts, Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 3/4" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, and GW Subframes.
Victory Red, Hood Scoop, Eagle 192 Wheels, Power Antenna, Factory Style Luggage Rack, Glass Rear Window, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Turn Indicators, Rally Pac Style Voltmeter & Tachometer, Cruise Control.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:02 PM

I see it more and more with all kinds of stuff myself.
If you bought the wrong thing or just didn't use it you can either eat it, sit on it or sell it cheap to move it on. If you used it and didn't like it you should feel lucky to get 1/2 what you paid for your mistake!

Verbose Vocabularian

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM

When you buy used parts it's a gamble I've found it's almost always better to buy new .just do some research for the parts that your looking to make sure it's what you want for the application and performance intended for so you don't waste your money and time.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Welcome to the internet! Before the "window to the world" was around price comparison was difficult. Now you pop up your smart phone and in seconds have a plethora of prices including used parts that sold. Now a seller wants to get more for his than the last similar one that sold so the prices are constantly rising! There are absolutely STUPID prices out there like $24 for an original air cleaner wing nut or $1499 for a set of 16 USED header bolts! All thanks to the internet.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:37 PM

Everything has gone up. Have you priced a new car lately ? I hear what you are saying. You just have to shop around to get a decent deal. Junk yards are still the cheapest option if you are willing to do some work .
Israel likes this.

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:01 PM

It depends more on the parts these days. I remember when speed parts hovered in the 50% range (that was still a good deal) but like said above I think the quality of some parts and the ability to sell to the world through the internet has changed things dramatically. Specialized speed parts can still occasionally be found for 50% on the dollar but nearly new used parts that can be used on a wide variety of cars or builds? You are paying 75%+

And honestly why shouldn't someone selling a quality nearly new used part get 75% of their money back?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:05 PM

Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it does not to buy used. I cannot imagine buying a used cam, even in the world of roller cams.

I screwed up a few years ago and bought the wrong Canton oil pickup. Given the time that passed before I tried to install it, I could not return it. The package was opened, but it never saw oil. Why should that be half the price of one without the broken plastic shrink wrap. If I were looking for one I would gladly save $10 on an "open box" part from a guy vs going to Summit. It is on ebay and some will buy it. For my mistake I will be out $10-15 + cost of shipping + ebay and paypal fees...hey perhaps I will recover half. BTW if anyone needs a 15-661 pickup for a 351w, I know a guy...

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM

50% of new cost? So you basically offered $600 for a $1200 set of wheels that are "perfect" by your own description? I think that makes you the ******* here. Sorry.

Nobody is buying new parts for the warranty (if you're smart you won't anyway). You think I'm factoring the warranty into my intake manifold and camshaft purchase? The warranty means little to the new buyer so I don't think it should be factored into the used price depending on the part. Plus, depending on where you buy, there IS a little bit of a warranty situation. Ebay favors buyers and most forums will shame a seller into making things right if a part is obviously defective.

That said, people who make bad purchases and try to recoup are sometimes delusional. I saw a fresh rebuilt 0.060 over 289 with iron heads on Facebook Marketplace for $42xx. He had receipts from his rip-off machine shop. You can get a 347 stroker with aluminum heads that will make 400+ horsepower for that. You know what my solution was? Not to buy it. I don't think anyone else will either.

Which brings me to my final point. Things are worth what people will pay. When I price used items I am not thinking about doing a favor for some cheapskate who only wants to pay 50% of new. I'm trying to get the maximum I can get and I'll start high and work my way down- ads are editable on pretty much every platform. If I hit that 50% of new equilibrium, so be it. But I'm not starting there.

1965 Mustang

Last edited by jdub; 08-29-2019 at 02:16 PM.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
"cost of shipping + ebay and paypal fees"

This drives the price up as well. The internet cuts both ways, the seller gets a much wider market, but has to pay quite a bit for that access.

At the end of the day if you want a part you are likely going to have to the going rate (as much as that hurts sometimes) - occasionally you might get a great deal, but don't count on getting those kind of deals all the time.
TheRktmn likes this.

5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), Dual Ex, T-10, FITech FI, Crane XR-i Ignition, Front Discs, Heim Jointed Struts, Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 3/4" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, and GW Subframes.
Victory Red, Hood Scoop, Eagle 192 Wheels, Power Antenna, Factory Style Luggage Rack, Glass Rear Window, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Turn Indicators, Rally Pac Style Voltmeter & Tachometer, Cruise Control.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
50% of new cost? So you basically offered $600 for a $1200 set of wheels that are "perfect" by your own description? I think that makes you the ******* here. Sorry.
I figured it was me. I offered $750 but it was not accepted. I'll probably spend the extra $200 and know that if they're wobbly I can get them swapped out. Same goes for the cam, if the journals are off then at least I know I can get it swapped out for a good one. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for them "sweet" deals, lol.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 04:46 PM

"New" for me." I have bought enough of those great priced "Good as new" parts in the past. Even new is shaky these days.
Be glad there are replacement parts for just about anything on a Mustang.

My '48 Chevy sedan delivery, well, any '48 Chevy car has nothing available. Thus used is all there is, and it is usually junk since it is so old. Second part to that is no available parts means insurance is at least three times higher than car with replacement parts. I can't even get a replacement door handle. Plenty for trucks, none for cars.

Why am I here? Looking to replace my "unreplaceable" ride. And getting a feel of what ya'll are going through.

Another consideration is government regulations. You mentioned batteries, I don't know how many regulations have been put on batteries the last 10 years, but that has certainly driven the price up. Yeah, I too wondered what the ______ last time I bought a battery. Now I just bend over.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 PM

Saving $10-20 (or even 10-20%) buying a used part isn't worth it. There's too much risk as a buyer because you have no recourse if the part is not what it was purported to be, or if there is any damage or defects.

When I've sold used parts, pricing is a balance of the above, as well as how badly I want the space in the garage back.

Following is a short list of things I've sold over the past year that have been great deals for the buyers because I wanted the stuff gone...
  • Brand New Hedman Headers (#88300) for 65-66 Mustangs, New in the box (only opened to take pictures) - $100 (less than 1/2 the price of Summit Racing)
  • Craftsman 33 gal. Air Compressor, 6 hp. Horizontal Tank - $150 - Over 10 years old, but like new and about 1/3 of cost when new.
  • Variable Speed Free Standing Floor Drill Press - $60 - Probably 30 years old, but worked great.
In all cases, the buyer was happy and I was happy!

Anyway, I'm with copracr. Unless it's a smoking deal, it's a complete waste of time to even look.

One last thought... It doesn't hurt to make a lowball offer. I've asked sellers if their priority is getting their price or getting rid of the item, and just told them "if you want it gone today, I'll give you X for it." Some have politely said "No thanks!" and others have said "Ok." One said, "Ok, but it's gotta be gone by 6:00pm tonight." If you don't ask, you don't get!
DonP likes this.

69 Cutlass Convertible

Last edited by Garth66; 08-29-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Garage
I've gotten and given some great deals on new parts, used parts, NOS parts, and even whole cars. I've also ignored the həLL out of some ridiculously priced stuff and obvious scams. I have had tremendous success with eBay, Craigslist and some swap meets. I don't really fool with Facebook Marketplace or LetGo because I get enough of all the stolen stuff and drama when I'm at work. I even have to stay out of certain Wal-Mart stores to avoid a lot of people I've locked up...
I love a good deal as much as the next guy and I like to know the other guy feels like he's getting a good deal, too.
Garth66 and j persons like this.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dual Exhaust •Power Steering
•Dealer A/C •Console

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 PM

I will very rarely buy used, unless its an oem part that's just plain better used than a reproduction/replacement.

A few years back I did have a 331 stroker that my machine shop messed up the balance on... badly. I sold it to a guy in texas for more money than I had into it and I wasn't even trying to sell the darn thing. I was just selling the heads and the guy asked what else I had and made an offer I couldn't refuse.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page