Another PCV Question - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck
  • 1 Post By 22GT

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Another PCV Question

I'm installing an Edelbrock top end kit on our 1968 289 Convertible. The manifold is Edlebrock's 289 Performer manifold. With this setup and Scott Drakes 4 barrel spacer with PCV port, the stock hood still closes with the original air cleaner in place - but just barely.
I'd like to use the PCV port on the back of that carb spacer, but I'm not sure if that spacer will pick up sufficient vacuum from that manifold. Has anyone used this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:15 PM

Does your Edelbrock "top end" kit include an Edelbrock carb? If not, what carb are you running? The SD spacer should work fine if you require one and you won't have to worry about the Performer manifold providing sufficient vacuum.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 12:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Don't really follow you... the amount of manifold vacuum isn't going to be dependent on the intake manifold but, rather, the camshaft profile, cylinder volume and compression ratio. The ideal point for obtaining high vacuum for the PCV is right below the throttle plates so the spacer should be just about ideal.
rhutt likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: The Drake PCV spacer and the Edelbrock 289 Performer manifold are not compatible. I bet some folks on here could say why, but I can only guess the dual plane manifold doesn't work the way the factory manifold does. This drove me crazy for about a week. I actually pulled the timing chain cover back off of the engine to check the cam timing - since I had just installed a new cam. It was fine. I could not get the engine to run other than to crank it over with about 1/2 throttle. Then it would eventually fire, rev up very quickly and die as soon as I let off the gas. It acted like it had a huge vacuum leak. I swapped the Drake spacer for a 3/8" thick fiber spacer and it solved the problem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:34 PM

I was surprised to hear your issue with the two components. It sparked my curiosity so I went to Summit Racing's website and searched the spacer. The image below is what I found and is consistent with what I understood. As long as you had good gaskets on both sides of the spacer, I don't know where it could have been faulty. Is this the same part number as the spacer you purchased? Is the bottom of the casting open?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg summit1.jpg (287.6 KB, 7 views)

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

Last edited by rhutt; 09-14-2019 at 06:46 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

I was surprised too, it sure wasn't the first thing I tried to get it running right. Here are a few pics of the spacers and gaskets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190916_143446.jpg (219.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190916_143500.jpg (168.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20190916_143557.jpg (183.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20190916_143641.jpg (177.4 KB, 5 views)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:53 PM

The big open hole in the top of the Edelbrock 289 Performer manifold is not compatible with the open-bottom stock 4V spacer. You'll have to use the integral PCV port on the carburetor.

Hemikiller likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:50 PM

Is the part in the second picture a thin rigid spacer? It doesn't look like a gasket. I superimposed the bottom of your SD spacer (pic #1) onto it (pic #2) and it appears to seal. If it is in fact rigid, wouldn't it require a regular carb base gasket on either side? It also appears from the patterns left in the components, that you were running it between the spacer and the carb. Is it possible to install it between the manifold and the spacer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacer2.jpg (468.0 KB, 4 views)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

22GT - thanks for the confirmation. I knew I wasn't crazy - ok, I was pretty sure.

Rhut - the 3/8 spacer is a soft spacer - no gaskets required - so I ran it by itself. I just ran the Drake PCV spacer with just the 2 gaskets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page