Need to fill a hole before reinstalling Rear Window - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By macstang
  • 1 Post By macstang

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Need to fill a hole before reinstalling Rear Window

Finally got around to removing the rear window from the 69 coupe pictured below. Its leaked for decades but the car has been stored inside and rarely gets wet. Cleaning it up I uncovered the hole (picture attached). Correct thing to do would be weld it up however, my skills are horrible. I don't want to peal back the 50 year old headliner, don't want to set it on fire and don't want to turn a small hole into a blown out mess screwing with the welder. The hole is no larger than a dime in length.

I figure this will be underneath the bedding compound. Maybe good enough is good enough.

I'm considering cleaning up the lose scale. I'll address the trunk side as well. Filling it with one of the two part epoxy putty products. Feather it out to be about a quarter size patch. Top coat it with Rustoleum or the like.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

There are bunch of those 2 part epoxy putty products. Has anyone used them and have a recommendation/caution regarding any of them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearWindowHole220c.jpg (223.4 KB, 12 views)

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:12 PM

Garage
Ok, I get your drift! Whatever you choose, remove all of the rust off both sides, A Dremel Tool would most likely be perfect due to its diminutive sized tools. But, be prepared, as you clean and remove rust you may be opening up a larger area too. For the rest of the channel, you might consider a rust converter product.
Two products come to mind JB Weld an POR Patch. I've used both in similar situations and can be machined, that is, ground smooth. You will likely have to use some type of temporary backer. I have used expired credit cards at time for this type repair.
I agree, there is way too much involved to go after it with a MIG or even lead.
Good Luck.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by kenash; 09-02-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
I'd say POR putty or maybe AllMetal. I'm considering a similar situation .

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 06:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Yeah, I would wire wheel the heck out of the area and fill it with "ALL METAL" filler...you can buy from TP Tools online or other vendors. Sand smooth, prime, paint, then skim coat it with some black sealer.. then install the rear windshield.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 PM

Garage
I agree too, "All Metal" is another good product for that area.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:17 PM

I had a hole similar to that when I removed the rear window on my '65. This was before I discovered this forum and all the other options. I used JB Weld and would put a bit on there, let it dry, put a bit more on there, let it dry, etc. Once I got it all sealed, smoothed it down as best as I could and then primed, painted, etc. Reinstalled the window and it hasn't been a problem since.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:23 PM

Garage
Well this is probably not the answer you are looking for but;

If you just plug that it will continue to rust around the plug and eventually the plug will probably start to leak if not just fall out completely. Most of the epoxy type fillers like metal to metal or short stranded fiberglass want clean, bare, cross hatch sanded metal.

If you keep working that hole until you get back to solid metal it is probably going to be bigger than a dime size is my guess.

I would cut out a patch and tack it in with many small tacks and slowly to keep the heat down and prevent it from warping. Once it is completely tacked and the welds ground smooth then you can go over it with a thin coat of short strand or metal to metal to protect it. To keep spatter off your vinyl areas you can tape down cardboard to cover those. Spatter tends to roll off cardboard without catching it on fire(usually).

This, in fact, is what I am having to do on my car in places. For that rear glass channel where I had an issue, I ordered a new filler panel which I believe is only available for the fastback. I don't know if you can find that piece separately or not. I used it as a partial filler and back glass corner patch to fix some issues with that area.
vegasloki likes this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:15 AM

Garage
Wire wheel all the rust away...I have used something called Quik Steel that is a 2 part putty, pinch some off, roll it together and shape it to anything you want, it goes through a heat cycle and [email protected] it is HARD. It can be welded, sanded, ground, painted, whatever just like real metal. Works well in places like that. I used some to save an oil pan. I plan to use some to put in a small hole in a corner that was punched or drilled through a floor pan that is otherwise solid. Absolutely worth it.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
Wire wheel all the rust away...I have used something called Quik Steel that is a 2 part putty, pinch some off, roll it together and shape it to anything you want, it goes through a heat cycle and [email protected] it is HARD. It can be welded, sanded, ground, painted, whatever just like real metal. Works well in places like that. I used some to save an oil pan. I plan to use some to put in a small hole in a corner that was punched or drilled through a floor pan that is otherwise solid. Absolutely worth it.

I use quiksteel. I think you could actually make bullets out of that stuff.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 AM

It’s a lot more rusted than what you see. The damage could easily be 2-3x what you see now.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 AM

I'd be inclined to fashion a plate that could be JB Welded in place from under neath. Then fill with JB so when the metal expands and contracts its well bonded together. Remember it has to take expansion/contraction from 130+ degrees to -15 or less, I would have at least an inch of overlap with good clean and roughed up metal on either side. That means getting under neath and cleaning very well. Clamp in place. In any case, use toxic waste to kill all rust. Epoxy prime...

Trying to blob fill feels wrong and is going to look very bad from the bottom and a next buyer could be very disappointed when its discovered. A plate done right could be disappeared...

Good luck

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the input. The hole was about the size of the head of a pin before a started poking at it. I'll take the dremel to it and see where it ends up. Hopefully not much bigger. I think it may just get plugged with the putty for now. The quality $350 paint job from '87 is beginning to show it's age. Next time it's painted, I'll make it right.

'68 Chevy plastic car
'69 Mustang ( The coupes are the fastest!)
'28 Roadster in boxes.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 PM

as for putty. look for something green short strand fiberglass(ask your paint shop). it will say water proof. steel is always better. get a cheap flux core wire welder run it on min 1 and run it for a 3 count if that burns through run a 2 or 1 count. It takes paitence but steel will look better and hold up long term. cut patches dont hang grapes.

Last edited by mike657894; 09-04-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page