Mustang Cobra 429 drivetrain - Vintage Mustang Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
JOB

Mustang Cobra 429 drivetrain

I found an add for an engine, trans and rear end that was claimed to be a Mustang Cobra 429 motor and the whole drive train out of a car that was totalled. They didn't know what year or any other specifics about the original car. I pulled up some information about trying to identify the motor, trans and rear when I go look at it, but my question to the group is what is the range of price that would be possible here.

I'm just trying to figure out if I even want to make the drive over to look at this since the person involved hasn't got a reasonable clue what this came out of, so is clearly not their car originally. They said they bought it 6 + years ago to build a hot rod, but never did.

Thanks for any input you have.
Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
JOB

They did say it is an automatic trans and posi rear but that's about all I've gotten out of them yet.
Jack
coupster likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 PM

The '71 Mustang was available with a 429CJ.
Grabber70Mach likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:29 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
There was also a '70-71 TORINO Cobra with the 429CJ.
Grabber70Mach likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
As well as the Mercury Cyclone Spoiler. A friend of mine has one of those cars with the factory 429 CJ and a 4-speed. Yeah, it's quite badass!

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
JOB

Yes, but what would be a range of the value for any of those drivetrains without the car in the current market. That's what I need to know. I'll try to determine what the vehicle was based upon some information I have looked up regarding casting numbers and other info. on the motor and other pieces, but I still don't have any clue as to what those go for in todays market. I realize there are a lot of factors that go into the value that no one can know so I'm asking for a range. If they're asking $3000 or $5000 and the value range is $500 to $2000 then I have to drive a hard bargain or drive home, but if the value range is $2000 to $10000 and they are asking $3000, then I've got a good chance of not getting hurt (unless of course I get into the motor and it's been broken). They claim it turns easily with a breaker bar on the front harmonic balancer nut. But I realize that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good motor.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 AM

Look for some part numbers on the block, heads, intake, etc. and see if that helps. Ford used a simple number/letter code. The letter gives the decade, and number is the year. For example, if it starts with something like C9 that'd be '69; D= 70s, E= 80s, etc. It's not always 100% right, because some part castings got used for multiple years without revision, so you might see something like a carb spacer with a C-something number on a 1970 motor. (not saying that's a real thing, just as an example.)

At the very least, you can narrow it down. If it's mostly "D1" parts all over the motor, then you can bet it's a '71 SCJ. Once you figure out when it was made, then you can start to evaluate the condition of it, and figure out what it might be worth. If they're cracked, busted, frozen and rusted, then the answer is "not much". If they're in great condition, and the engine runs flawlessly, well, you could get a lot more. The really 'high dollar' guys want provenance and paperwork to go with their nice shiny smooth-running motor.

For people wanting to restomod, the C6 is tough, but it steals a lot of power. No one will likely want to pay much more than $100 for a used C6 out of a mystery car. They are too common and not very loved. The engine itself could be anywhere from $100 (junked paperweight) to $3000 I suppose. If it had a lot more documentation and had just been flawlessly rebuilt, or had some history, maybe more.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Grimbrand; 09-04-2019 at 12:39 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:52 AM

Did they post a price in the ad? You need to know that, too, before going to look at it. You don't want to show up with $500 or $1000 and find out the guy wants $10K for it.
1971 was the only year for a 429CJ in a Mustang. The block might have a "D1" casting number, but most everything else will have "D0" casting numbers. These engines were first used in 1970 Torinos and pretty much all the same parts were used in the 1971 Torinos, Montegos, Mustangs, Cougars and Police cruisers.
As to value, this is my opinion based on what I've seen (assuming all is complete, correct and unmolested).
Engine (complete): $5000.
Trans (complete): $1000-1500.
Rearend (Nodular case, 31 spline axles and traction lok) $1000-1500.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Are you building a concourse restoration? Or do you just want a big block for a hot rod or cheap drag racer? When somebody on Craigslist touts a 429 as a 197x " Super Cobra Jet" or "ThunderJet" or whatever and asks $5K, well maybe that's a good price if your have a Mach 1, Torino, or Cyclone you need to restore. Since I don't own any of those cars, I'd personally never pay more than about $500 to $1K for any 385-family motor. The 429/460 385-family blocks are basically truck motors and Ford made a bajillion of them. Look for local 1970s and 1980s Lincoln Continentals, Thunderbirds, and F-250/350s. These vehicles can often be bought for next to nothing. So the bottom market price for this engine is pretty low.

As an side, the John Kasse Boss 429 aluminum heads for these 385-family blocks are the coolest thing ever.
Israel, Huntingky and Grimbrand like this.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Though I know OF them, I know little about SCJ 429's. They are not engines I deal with. If it were me, I'd do some serious studying on casting and part numbers before went to look at it. I'd be sorely ticked if I paid CobraJet money for a plain 429 that came out of grandma's station wagon or grandpa's old truck that someone stuck a "Cobra" air cleaner on.
Huntingky and Grimbrand like this.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:58 PM

I'm not that familiar with the CJ and SCJ variants. Both the 428 (FE series) and 429 (385 series) were available in both versions. What is the difference between a CJ and a SCJ? You should familiarize yourself with them so you don't buy a pig with lipstick on it.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOB View Post
Yes, but what would be a range of the value for any of those drivetrains without the car in the current market. That's what I need to know. I'll try to determine what the vehicle was based upon some information I have looked up regarding casting numbers and other info. on the motor and other pieces, but I still don't have any clue as to what those go for in todays market. I realize there are a lot of factors that go into the value that no one can know so I'm asking for a range. If they're asking $3000 or $5000 and the value range is $500 to $2000 then I have to drive a hard bargain or drive home, but if the value range is $2000 to $10000 and they are asking $3000, then I've got a good chance of not getting hurt (unless of course I get into the motor and it's been broken). They claim it turns easily with a breaker bar on the front harmonic balancer nut. But I realize that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good motor.
Prices are all over that range. A complete numbers matching running engine could be $2k~$4k or more. A correct trans could be the same price, since they are unique. I could see $1K+ on a proper drum to drum rear axle. If you're looking for a flip then you better know your shiznit. Here's some links to help with casting numbers and dates etc. Lots of people get starts in their eyes when they see "Cobra", so do your research and buy wisely.

Ford casting ID numbers and part identification info for Mustang Shelby parts

71 429 CJ Mustang and Cougar Megasite

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Funny you should mention this, last night at the weekly local car show a guy had a 70. 1 of 27 on the Marti Report. Absolutely mint, was real nice to see.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:22 PM

The 429 was standard for all of the Thunderbirds in that era too, so it's not hard to find one.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Outside of bragging rights, a basic truck 460 would be my choice.
Huntingky and Grimbrand like this.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in