aligning trunk lid - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Thankfully, they have finally figured out how to make new seals that are softer.
I would think that you could fabricate a fixture out of wood to where the trunk lid was clamped down upside down. Applying gentle and slow pressure with the clamps to flatter out the curve. I matched the curve on my front fenders to my hood by using a 2x4 and gently bending the hood but, I was adding more bow which is much easier that trying to remove it.

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
ONLY use the USA Made Daniel Carpenter brand. They fit and work excellent. I used one last year on my '65. The Scott Drake ones suck... The material is not right. Way too hard.

)

Tony K.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
Even Ford had issues like this, so don't feel too bad. Here is a TSB from early '67 where dealers had trouble installing back window mouldings (factory ones lol) that still wouldn't fit right.

TSB #58 - January 27, 1967
(All Car Lines)

If difficulty is experienced during back window moulding installation, the mouldings should be installed using the following procedure.
1. Place 200 pounds of shot on the window glass.
2. Fabricate a tamper from two pounds of body sealer and wrap the sealer with body tape or a shop towel.
3. Place the mouldings in position and tap into place with the fabricated tamper.
4. After the mouldings are installed with the moulding lip engaged under the retainer, remove the 200 pounds of shot from the glass.

[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), original 289 A code engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in May of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 speed back in the mid '80's, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Koni's, Opentracker UCA, LCA, roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
ONLY use the USA Made Daniel Carpenter brand. They fit and work excellent. I used one last year on my '65. The Scott Drake ones suck... The material is not right. Way too hard.

)

Tony K.
I stand corrected. You are right Tony. The one I used was a Carpenter, not Drake. Very nice seals!

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I think mine were Scott Drake though I got them through a local supplier. Pretty stiff and didn't compress too well. I'll try the Carpenter brand next time.

Thanks.

Glenn
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
@DrHawkeye it sounds like your issue may be the old "I need Bedding and Glazing compound with a new rear window gasket" routine.

Rear Window is fine. I don't think that's ever been removed. Had leaks at the windshield for a bit before I parked it in '03. Windshield companies could never solve it. I think the windshield was removed when the interior and headliner were done a few years ago, cuz I was surprised there was no leaking. Until last week. But at least I have an idea who to take it to.
As for the trunk leaking, I know those seals were replaced when the car was painted, so I'll probably replace them with better ones and hope that addresses the problem.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfstang View Post
Even Ford had issues like this, so don't feel too bad. Here is a TSB from early '67 where dealers had trouble installing back window mouldings (factory ones lol) that still wouldn't fit right.

TSB #58 - January 27, 1967
(All Car Lines)

If difficulty is experienced during back window moulding installation, the mouldings should be installed using the following procedure.
1. Place 200 pounds of shot on the window glass.
2. Fabricate a tamper from two pounds of body sealer and wrap the sealer with body tape or a shop towel.
3. Place the mouldings in position and tap into place with the fabricated tamper.
4. After the mouldings are installed with the moulding lip engaged under the retainer, remove the 200 pounds of shot from the glass.
Slight side note here: what is '200 pounds of shot'? I have never heard of this term, or maybe it was little bit before me....

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion (appeared in Mustang Monthly Feb 2017)
'90 LX 5.0L
Www.ccrestorations.com
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:32 AM

Garage
Shot means the lead pellets used in shotgun shells.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

after thinking about it further, I have a feeling we did change my trunk lid 20 years ago when the fenders were replaced. Back in about '76 I had interrupted someone stealing my wire wheel covers and they took off but cam back and paid me back by wrenching on my bike rack, twisting my bumper and deforming the back edge of the trunk lid. I think the guy doing my bodywork suggested putting a new one on rather than fixing the bent one and I think I agreed (more regrets). If true, then the replacement lid may be the problem rather than the replacement fenders. Is there a way to tell if the trunk lid is a repo vs the original? If it is repo, then I want to check the curvature on a new repo and see if it is a better alignment and if it is, maybe II'll just go for a new one. I'm looking for an original one locally but haven't found one yet. If I go repo, is Dynacorn my best bet or should I be looking at another manufacturer?

Glenn
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:22 PM

Garage
Notice this on almost every 65-66 I see. Mine too! It's probably one of those factory "tolerance" or lack of we hear about. I noticed on mine the flat rear face of the lid doesn't line up with the quarter extensions either (like it's pushed in). This tells me the decklid is bowed and @Woodchuck is right here.

It's just a little rust...

1966 secretary special originally 6cyl 3 spd coupe.(Goes to work twice a week)
5.0 SEFI complete from 1988 Mustang GT, world class T-5, 9 inch with 3.50 Trac Lok and Shelby style traction bars. Old Air A/C system.
Build thread:https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...5-0-resto.html

1969 Mach 1: 1000 miles (almost) to get it....in progress(slow)
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...long-term.html
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

good to know. I guess i have to avoid comparing mine to the high quality rebuilds with their really close gaps that i see at mustang shows and remember that mine isn't that. Still, I want to improve it as much as I can so all of your comments and tips are greatly appreciated, If I figure out whether its the panels or the lid, I'll let you know.

Glenn
myfirstcar66 likes this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 AM

Garage
@64.5gcl you have me wanting to mess with mine again now. Thanks ! !

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, my bad. My problem is there are other things I need to be doing to the car and so fixating on this doesn't make a lot of sense but it is the one I see every time I walk up to the car so I guess it gets my attention the most.

Good luck on yours.
myfirstcar66 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page