Vinyl Top question - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Vinyl Top question

I think my vinyl roof might be original and is in great shape. Unfortunately, there are a few bumps under the vinyl about 2" back from the windshield trim.

I'm probably dreaming but is it possible to partially peel a vinyl top, do a bit of rust repair and reattached it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Bumps = RUST

That's why people hate vinyl tops....not because they look bad...because they don't. It's just that a Vinyl Top is a breeding factory for Moisture and RUST.

It's also the reason that if a car with a vinyl top is restored.....Usually the Vinyl top is not put back on the car.

Unfortunately, On your car, The only thing to do is to completely remove the vinyl top, Repair the rust (cut it out)....and move on with life.....oh yeah, and not put the vinyl top back if you don't want the rust to return.

)

Tony K.
Israel and cmefly like this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:25 PM

The eventual fate of ALL vinyl tops:

Huntingky likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
I think my vinyl roof might be original and is in great shape. Unfortunately, there are a few bumps under the vinyl about 2" back from the windshield trim.

I'm probably dreaming but is it possible to partially peel a vinyl top, do a bit of rust repair and reattached it?
If the top is original, it will probably rip when you go to pull it back. New vinyl tops are not expensive to have installed. I would remove the old top myself, sand the rusted areas the best I could and then paint the top with POR using a roller or foam brush. 2 coats should do it. Have a new top put on and you are good to go. You can certainly try to pull back the original top. What have you got to loose? The rust has to be stopped. Use a heat gun to soften the material and glue underneath or set it outside in the sun for an hour.

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Itís much worse than a few bumps,......

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:49 PM

Garage
Naww, can't pull it back and replace it. There should be adhesive between the vinyl and the roof from my experience. If it is older, it is probably brittle to boot. I can't see it, but if it really was original, it would be earth-shattering and you owe it to mankind to let us in on the secret! What protectant? I need to get me some of that! Some non-original tops have a batting-like material underneath, further complicating a hoped-for pull-back.

I have little bumps and splits in mine. I know I have rust percolating. I also know that I can buy a new roof for a few hundred bucks. I like my top, it is how the car came originally and makes it period-correct. Good luck with yours, whatever way you go.

Bill

6F07C
Color: Y
Trim: 22
Axle: 6
Trans: 6
Build Date: July 18, 1966

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Bumps = RUST

That's why people hate vinyl tops....not because they look bad...because they don't. It's just that a Vinyl Top is a breeding factory for Moisture and RUST.

It's also the reason that if a car with a vinyl top is restored.....Usually the Vinyl top is not put back on the car.

Unfortunately, On your car, The only thing to do is to completely remove the vinyl top, Repair the rust (cut it out)....and move on with life.....oh yeah, and not put the vinyl top back if you don't want the rust to return.

)

Tony K.
It makes absolutely no sense NOT to replace an original vinyl top once the rust is repaired, for a couple reasons:

1. In order to leave the top off, you really need to fill the trim holes and blend the paint work unless you're repainting the entire car.

2. Ford didn't take any rust preventative action under the vinyl tops. Properly repaired and epoxy primed, you're not going to get rust under a replacement vinyl top in your lifetime, unless you flip the car over and plant the roof in your garden.
cavboy78, tmadden and 66#3 like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Well, Opinions may vary.... but it really all depends on what is done with the car. If the car is left outside or driven constantly in rain.... You bet that rust will come back.....Prepped roof or not...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
MCA#70001

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 PM

There are 65-66 Mustangs that people can actually drive in the rain ??
Woodchuck likes this.

Cliff
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:45 PM

Reasons ...Why not to own a Vinyl Top... A real beauty... A shame, It was a fully optioned car too. I almost bought it as a "Parts Car". This is what happens when you let a car with a Vinyl Top sit outside..

Case in point...

Enough said...

Next...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010053.jpg (491.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1010045.jpg (431.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1010085.jpg (457.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1010109.jpg (434.5 KB, 10 views)

Tony Kovar

MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; 09-04-2019 at 07:48 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Supporting Member

On my VT car every bump was a hole.... It's getting a new roof skin.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:32 PM

meh...vinyl tops look fantastic....I would be surprised if an epoxy primed and polyurethane clear coated paint would fail the way the factory ones did...I would risk it.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 PM

You can hide lots of sins with a vinyl top. I had one put on my first 66 restoration because it had such severe hail damage. As much as i tried, I never could get the top completely smooth and ripple-free for paint. I had a hell of a time finding the original stainless trim for it. This was before the internet. Finally got lucky in a junkyard in Arkansas.

Cliff
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
2. Ford didn't take any rust preventative action under the vinyl tops. Properly repaired and epoxy primed, you're not going to get rust under a replacement vinyl top in your lifetime, unless you flip the car over and plant the roof in your garden.

Having gone through this, I completely agree with Bart. There was basically nothing protecting the metal under the vinyl top once I removed it. My top was also original (removed in the mid 90s) and there was a ton of work to do. I cut pieces that needed to be cut out, welded in some spare metal from a Caddy that I cut up in a junkyard, and got everything flat again. I thought that I was going to paint the top instead of putting another vinyl top on. But then starting thinking: this is the only car I'll ever own with a vinyl top, likely. So instead I sealed it as best I could with some epoxy primer, and put another top on.

Fast forward 20 years while I left my car outside (due to being in my 20s and having other things on my mind) and I needed another vinyl top. Ripped that one off, and was very pleased to see the metal was the same condition I left it in. So I put another vinyl top on it. Thankfully I have a house and a garage now so I hopefully won't have to rip this one off.

I say rip the entire top off and fix the metal problems now. If you want to put another top back on it, make sure you treat the metal extremely well, and it should last.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Love my vinyl top, but this car hasnt seen rain since 1983.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1446.jpg (343.5 KB, 6 views)
Fastang68 and Fitch like this.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page