Vehicle History sites? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Vehicle History sites?

I currently own a 1969 351 Mustang Fastback. Not a Mach 1. My question for everyone is...does anyone know of a safe/accurate vehicle history web site I can use to find out the history of ownership of my 69 Mustang? I've told told by the seller that they bought the car from the original owner, and the car seems fairly original, but I would like to be sure of the details given to me. Anyone have any luck with a web site that gives this kind of information...that isnt too costly? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:40 AM

Garage
Some states keep motor vehicle registration records for a while, some longer than others, and you can start with the VIN number or prior license plate numbers at state or local registration offices. Sometimes there is a small fee for the search. There are some Mustsng registry sites but the reporting to those is very limited, especially for the non-Shelby etc cars. I am currently working on one through Florida.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Sorry, You can't find a "chain of ownership". U.S. States DMV Records to the general public only go back 10 years...so basically any info you requested thru California DMV would be from 2009 to Present.

The only thing that you can do is run a Marti Report on your car, but it will cost you and it's not Free. It will tell you everything that you ever wanted to know about your 1969 Mustang including the original Selling Dealer...and it's worth every penny. ....But it won't tell you who the Owners of the car were... Sorry.

See here:

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

There is no such website that you are looking for so don't even waste your time looking.... You'd have better luck finding BIGFOOT....or the LOCHNESS MONSTER.....

Hope this helps you some..

)

Tony K.
66KevinC-code likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok, sounds good. Thank you very much for your input.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Sorry, You can't find a "chain of ownership". U.S. States DMV Records to the general public only go back 10 years...so basically any info you requested thru California DMV would be from 2009 to Present.

The only thing that you can do is run a Marti Report on your car, but it will cost you and it's not Free. It will tell you everything that you ever wanted to know about your 1969 Mustang including the original Selling Dealer...and it's worth every penny. ....But it won't tell you who the Owners of the car were... Sorry.

See here:

https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm

There is no such website that you are looking for so don't even waste your time looking.... You'd have better luck finding BIGFOOT....or the LOCHNESS MONSTER.....

Hope this helps you some..

)

Tony K.

So you're saying there's a chance?

1966 Coupe "The Blue Falcon"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:38 AM

I wrote the state asking for prior owner info and after about a week they sent me a large envelope full of previous owner documents. However, everything personal was black lined out and what I paid/waited for was useless. Privacy laws and such they would not share any info with me. Would have been nice to know that before I jumped through all the hoops.

Luckily, I found a keychain for a local business under the seat when I took the car apart. I posted a pic of it to a Facebook group for that city and ended up finding the aunt of the original owner. Working on getting pics but original owner lives in another state now and doesn't see them much.

Watch the progress on my 66 coupe here,
http://photobucket.com/projecttetanus
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

That was going to be my next question...if the Marti report covered the vehicle history. Which report version covers that part? There are 3 selections of the Marti report that I can order. Please tell me it isnt the $220 one!? I was planning on ordering the $46 report anyway as that's a doable price, and I was going to order the "window sticker" portion separately ($55). Im not prepared to "pony up" the $220 at this time. Do you happen to know which report covers the vehicle history? Thanks again for your reply.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Wow. crazy. At least I know that it is possible...within a certain degree to get what Im looking for. Other than trying to get the information from each owner, about the previous owner they purchased the car from and so on. Thanks again!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

At some point during the Clinton administration, accessibility to DMV information became an "opt-in" deal rather than an "opt-out". Meaning that individuals actually had to begin checking a box during their registration process that said "yes, I AGREE that my information can be shared, sold, pimped, etc.."..

Well, of course, hardly anyone began checking that box, so the access to the information and ability to legacy a car's ownership slipped away.

Back in the late-80's and early-90's, a strong contributor to NPD's growth was the ability to "direct-mail" our catalogs to registered owners of 65-73 Mustangs. It was wildly effective. But after the Clinton administration's tweaks to the Privacy Act, the accuracy of the lists available began to degrade as each year passed (and cars changed hands and such), to the point we had to abandon that strategy.

Rick
NPD
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Garage
i tried that in 1987 when i thought my car was old

i wrote Sacramento DMV many times. not even a reply.

then i wrote every known car club in CA,

there was no public internet back then, this took a lot of leg work and hours of research.

i got the same results.

i long since gave up on it.

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.

Last edited by Blues Power; 09-05-2019 at 12:40 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I guess I didn't realize the magnitude of this issue. Here I thought I could just get a simple...you are the 3rd owner type thing. Oh well. Thanks for the insight.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
As indicated in prior posts, a complete history website for cars in general does not exist to my knowledge. Things like the Shelby Registry and the Boss 302 Registry have been around for some time and may have some information on those cars. Registries for other makes and models seem to be hit or miss with many "Registry" efforts fading away over time. Keeping in mind that 50 years have lapsed since these cars were built, time is generally not on your side. That being the case, here are several suggestions that might provide you with a tidbit of information that could open the door to the car's history.

For a run of the mill production car, your best bet is a methodical approach that includes an archaeological search. Starting with the Marti report (which provides production information from data purchased from Ford many years ago) that includes the original selling dealership. If they are still in business, I would start there to see if the original owner was a regular service customer. Another angle is to contact the DMV where the car is currently registered and tell them you are doing historical research on your vintage car (include a copy of your title as proof) and ask if they have any records connected to that VIN. At the very least request copies of registration and title documents in their files connected to that VIN. One could expect that the prior title surrendered when your title was issued should provide some useful information. Some states have request forms in which you demonstrate your legitimate reason for seeking the information before information will be provided. In some states, privacy laws prevent them from releasing personal data without consent of the person whose information is being sought. Offering consent for DMV to give your name and contact information to the prior owner(s) with a request to contact you, the current owner, might help legitimize your request. Note that in the past, if you knew someone in law enforcement, a friendly request might get you information. More recently, a number of jurisdictions have closed that loop citing privacy regulations.

Examine your car carefully.
Are there dealer licence frames?
Are there oil change stickers in the door jamb indicating where the car was serviced at one time?
Any inspection stickers or parking permits that connect the car to a particular place or time?
Any insurance stickers (AAA, State Farm, etc)?
Pull up the seat cushions to see if there is a random receipt, business card, or other item with a name/address on it. (I once found an old Driver's License under the seat of a car presumably belonging to a prior owner or at least a passenger!)
Check into the trunk drop offs to see if a prior owner left something down there with a name or address.
Check in the defroster vents as all sorts of things fall into the vent ducting.
Look behind the glove box for anything that might have spilled out (parking ticket/traffic ticket/receipt/envelope, etc)
Shine a bright light into the doors with the glass rolled down and look for anything that might be sitting at the bottom of the door (business card, credit card, etc)

Next, contact local Mustang clubs and attend local Mustang shows to see if anyone recognizes the car. A prior owner of the Mach 1 in my sig pic saw it at a local car show and exclaimed "That's my car" having recognized the license plate number. Long shot yes, but his recollection filled in some gaps in the known history (early 1970's) . A subsequent discovery of old DMV papers on the car confirmed his recollection.

Lastly, if you are committed to discovering your car's history, consider hiring a private investigator to dig around as they may have access to information that is generally not available to the general public.
JSHarvey likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so unless we have receipts showing history of the car, buy the car from the original owner, or have other documentation about the history of the car, we dont know how many people have owned the car? Bummer. Going to try the Marti report. Thanks everyone.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Great ideas Jeff. I have gone through the car, but not to that extent, looking for clues when I bought it. I love finding historical artifacts about the cars past anyway. I will definitely take a closer look. Thanks for all the ideas, I truly appreciate your wisdom.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:40 PM

I don’t know where Tony gets this 10 year CA record thing. When I transferred the title to my name NV was able to check data all the way back to the original sale in 67. It was a two owner CA car. When I ran a Carfax on the Miata (90) and Ranger (96) they had data all the way back to the original sale. The data included owner changes and registration events but no names. I didn’t Carfax the Mustang because we knew the original owner and I’m relatively certain I can trust the guy I got it from.

Marti uses the original Ford order/assembly data. You won’t find vehicle owner history there. Try the Carfax that may be able to at least get you part of the way there.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page