Sorry but need help - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Grimbrand
  • 1 Post By wicked93gs

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Sorry but need help

I'm sorry if I keep asking for a lot, but I'm still needing help. Once again I bought a beautiful 68 fastback gt small block car ...All drivetrain is missing though ...The Mercury Monterey I asked about fell through so I have located a 66 Fairlane GT 390 4 speed she is running and driving but the body is shot. I figured it would be easier for me to buy a running driving car and get all my parts instead of buying piece by piece. My fastback is an original Automatic car. So my question is what parts will interchange...I'm wanting to pull the motor, disc brakes, 4 speed, shifter, and pedal assembly and z bar setup..what will work..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

And driveshaft
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:55 PM

Garage
IIRC the exhaust manifolds on a '66 Fairlane may not fit a '68 Mustang due to configuration. Plus the bolt pattern for the exhaust manifolds is different so either drill out the Fairlane heads to accept Mustang manifolds or get Mustang heads already drilled for Mustang manifolds.
Disc brakes should be 4 piston kelsey hayes for both cars. Check with Chockostang to confirm compatability.
The "Z" bar set up for the Fairlane is different than the Mustang so compatibility may be an issue. Trans, shifter, and pedal assembly are likely different but may be adaptable. Check with Modern Driveline to confirm
Driveshaft is likely different as the Fairlane platform is longer than Mustang platform.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:04 PM

I don't think the motor mounts, pedals or Z-bar from a midsize (or full-size) Ford will fit a Mustang, without a lot of inventiveness. Additionally, getting the big-block in there will require special manifolds or headers. It's a tight squeeze for the old FE's. You will definitely want to upgrade to the bigger radiator and fan setup as well.

IMHO, unless you are dead-set on going with a big-block, you could get as much oomph out of a 5.0 HO or 351, and enjoy the benefits of a roller cam and better weight distribution. Heck, you could even change your spark plugs in less than a day! =) They are readily available from many trucks and cars at salvage yards, and thanks to their EFI, the cylinder bores often show little to no wear even at 150k miles. for a 5.0, look to '97-01 Explorers/Mountaineers for the GT40P heads.

Don't forget to work on your brakes, and deal with chassis/suspension stuff. If you don't, big power will find the weakest part and break it for you so that you can see what needed to be upgraded or fixed!
2nd 66 and [email protected] like this.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:01 PM

Garage
It costs more, but go big block. You wont look back and miss that small block. I promise. I converted my 70 302, 2bbl, C4 to 390/C6. I love it. Just finished a short drive home from work and its all about smiles per mile. I had a machine shop drill heads for the 428 exhaust bolt pattern, and I am running the much larger 428 exhaust manifolds. I had the manifolds, but no headers. So Iím running what I got. Factory H pipe. Summit 750 carb and comp cam and springs. Runs great, starts right up, no overheat in South Texas 105*+. You need 24 inch radiator, 7 blade fan and HD clutch.

65 FB 289/3sp Rangoon Red/Red interior
68 Coupe 200/6 T-5 Diamond Blue/Blue interior
68 Coupe 302/C4 Black interior
69 Coupe 250/6 C4, Blue/Black interior
70 Coupe 390/C6 Auto Gold Metallic/Ginger interior
2010 Gold V6/Auto Sunset Gold/Black interior
65 Falcon Vintage Burgundy/Palomino interior
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:49 PM

I have a 67 vert is a factory 390 4 spd car. W/o a doubt a blast to drive because FE engines known for there torque. Plus unique exhaust sound.

So basics:
If you buy this Fairlane GT, has engine ever been rebuilt? If body shot, I'd assume no.
So with rebuilding the 390, most folks replace heads with aluminum ones, I did years ago. Exhaust hole pattern I believe now done for diff exhaust manifolds or headers. Something you'd need to get anyway.

FE engine mounts for stang, You get new anyway, I believe Mansfield Mustang has them as ALL they sell is FE parts.
Radiator, you don't have one so you'd be buying one anyway... The stock 7 blade clutch are available.
My 390 with aluminum hds, no problem changing plugs once ever 10 yrs using a 3/8" drive swivel and extension.
Mansfield may help you with cooling and some drive line stuff.

ALSO you DON"T list your location, but major swap meets will also be of help.
Welcome to Mansfield Restoration Parts

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 PM

I understand going small block, and like the others, I see many benefits of installing 351Wís to 5.0. However, of the several mustangs that I have owned, both old and new, the thrill of a big block never gets old. With the FEís unique sound and torque range, after all the work is said and done, I donít think anyone is ever disappointed. Long live the FE!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 PM

Let's not forget: if you're going SB to BB you'll have to upgrade the suspension. Heck, my car came with a 302. When I swapped to a 351W the front end dropped.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Anyone got a 68 390 they want to sale
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Since originality isnt a problem for you...and you just want a big block...why not a 460? They will be a lot easier to find than a 390 or 428.
Grimbrand likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:42 PM

There is one in the 69-70 for sale section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgroce1985 View Post
Anyone got a 68 390 they want to sale
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Most of the parts used for that conversion are specific to Mustang. Motor mounts, clutch linkage, shifter mount, the trans crossmember is unique, exhaust, etc. (if the Fairlane was a 67 the exhaust manifolds would have worked). If you want to use manifolds you will need to get a 390 that came from a unit body car, as in Mustang, Cougar, Comet, Fairlane. And you want the 67 or later manifolds. Good news is all the stuff can be found, some not real easy but itís all out there. Unfortunately some of it (or most of it) wonít be cheap. Out of curiosity, what are they asking for the Fairlane and how well does it run? If you got it relatively cheap, youíre probably still looking at another 2k (minimum) for the rest of the stuff to get it in your Mustang.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Not is correct.
For my factory 67 390, as said I went with Edlebrock Aluminum Performer heads. The manifolds I use were SCJ exhaust manifolds which bolted right up, bought if Ebay - $600.

Those do have nice large ports.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtysevenGTconv View Post
Not is correct.
For my factory 67 390, as said I went with Edlebrock Aluminum Performer heads. The manifolds I use were SCJ exhaust manifolds which bolted right up, bought if Ebay - $600.

Those do have nice large ports.
I didnít want to complicate the issue more by mentioning CJ stuff, which will require CJ or Edelbrock heads......the wonders of the FE...

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page