How much markup is too much? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 37Likes

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Did the cost of the cam include lifters that the shop installed?

64 1/2 coupe 260 automatic
Mfg date 8 days after the Mustang debut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:44 PM

Brick and mortar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 7.35.00 PM.jpg (218.0 KB, 26 views)

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:45 PM

Online. Add $10 for shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 7.38.48 PM.jpg (75.0 KB, 23 views)

Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:51 PM

https://www.amazon.com/MOOG-Chassis-.../dp/B000C560O8 $53.68 all for the same part. I was going to order from Rockauto but it's cheaper from Amazon with free shipping! Sweet!

It's a tough gig for brick and mortar these days!

Last edited by Nailbender; 09-07-2019 at 08:54 PM.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Actually, the markup on the cam is 55% and the intake is a little shy of 52%. STILL a tad excessive over the "norm" which would be 40-50% of wholesale cost, not what the public can buy it for.

On the other side of the coin, had you purchased and supplied the parts they may have declined to DO the work or charged a premium labor rate.

Now, some folks who have never owned or run a business that deals with sales of both products and services may not understand markups, margins, overhead and other such terms but let me just say this.... if you can't make about the same dollar amount in GROSS profit from parts AND labor then you need to re-think doing the job. When you have to pay salaries, benefits, workers comp, unemployment insurance, 7.65% of the employees social security contribution, property and casualty insurance, garagekeepers liability insurance, utilities, capital improvements, repairs, subscription services, tool costs, refuse, recycling, environmental, government fees, permits and licenses, it's not like you can charge fifty bucks an hour and call it "good".
c6fastback, DonP, 2nd 66 and 3 others like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:16 PM

Garage
So,, Say for example fast food. Pick most any item from the menu. Cheaper to make your self.Right your paying for the convenience
Nailbender likes this.

Brad
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhunts View Post
That’s anal rape.... just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With no lube.......
There was lube... at $200/oz.
Jedi likes this.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Brick and mortar
Advance isn't a good example of brick and mortar, that's them ripping off the unfortunates after they drove all the other parts stores out of business by selling at cost, then tripling their prices. Now you have Advance, Orelly and Autozone, all selling for at least double what the parts should cost.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Actually, the markup on the cam is 55% and the intake is a little shy of 52%. STILL a tad excessive over the "norm" which would be 40-50% of wholesale cost, not what the public can buy it for.
Many of the custom or restoration shops are charging 20-50% over what they buy it for regardless of if they get dealer pricing or not. That could get spendy for parts they dont have wholesale deals with.

Just to pile on to the employee costs when I was running companies wed figure at 1/3 to half as much as the hourly rate for all we had to pay and markup. It can be a shock when the employee sees you bill $50/hr for what they get paid $30/hr with benefits. If they employees balked I tell them to add up all those other costs, tools, benefits, self employment tax, liability and workers comp and get a real business going then see how much of that $50 is left.
c6fastback likes this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:37 AM

Most "real" businesses would buy the parts at wholesale from their distributor and mark them up to the suggested retail. I have a friend who owns an automotive machine shop and from what Ive seen, most of us would be shocked at how cheap engine components can be purchased from a wholesale distributor when compared to suggested retail.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Many businesses particularly narrow markets like restoration dont make the minimum orders for mass produced parts at wholesale. Raw engine components are pretty easy but mass market performance parts not so much. Tires and wheels are another. Even then Jegs and Summit will have them beat in quantity with many times the retail not being too much more than wholesale for the small shops.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:04 PM

I do electrical work on the side. The price I charge is what the customer would pay at Lowes, or sometimes cheaper if I got a real good deal. I knew a popular glass shop that told me they charge exactly twice what the glass cost them, in case they broke the first one getting it in.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
My usual response to people who complain about The prices for parts that are charged by repair shops
is to buy the part yourself , diagnosis , and install it yourself . The average person doesn't realize what
scan tool updates or new tools cost .
2nd 66 likes this.

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post

On the other side of the coin, had you purchased and supplied the parts they may have declined to DO the work or charged a premium labor rate.

Now, some folks who have never owned or run a business that deals with sales of both products and services may not understand markups, margins, overhead and other such terms but let me just say this.... if you can't make about the same dollar amount in GROSS profit from parts AND labor then you need to re-think doing the job. When you have to pay salaries, benefits, workers comp, unemployment insurance, 7.65% of the employees social security contribution, property and casualty insurance, garagekeepers liability insurance, utilities, capital improvements, repairs, subscription services, tool costs, refuse, recycling, environmental, government fees, permits and licenses, it's not like you can charge fifty bucks an hour and call it "good".
I've run my own business, worked for a really big corporation and worked for government. Unless you've run your own business you have no idea what it costs to actually keep the doors open. @Woodchuck 's list is only the beginning. Don't forget the cost of supplies (pens, pencils, paper, etc.), bank fees, phone, etc can be overwhelming.
But I also agree, the OP should have had an understanding/agreement/contract with the shop regarding their mark-up. I also agree that usually the customer pays the same price it would have cost him at the mechanic's supplier and the mechanic pays a lower "wholesale" cost for the part.
Woodchuck likes this.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:03 PM

Garage
A good example of why to get a quote before authorizing any work.
dobrostang likes this.

5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), Dual Ex, T-10, FITech FI, Crane XR-i Ignition, Front Discs, Heim Jointed Struts, Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 3/4" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, and GW Subframes.
Victory Red, Hood Scoop, Eagle 192 Wheels, Power Antenna, Factory Style Luggage Rack, Glass Rear Window, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Turn Indicators, Rally Pac Style Voltmeter & Tachometer, Cruise Control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page