Hood nut broke - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Hood nut broke

While putting my hood back on my 65 mustang one of the nuts broke loose now the bolt is half way in. I'm not sure what to do. The car is done as in painted.

What are my options? Thanks for any advice.

Dean

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 05:47 PM

Garage
Send a pic. "one of the nuts broke loose "? You are, talking about hood hinges, correct? Shouldn't they be bolts? Did the threads strip?

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by kenash; 09-07-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

It's the captive nut inside the hood broke loose as the nut was being tightened. There are 2 bolts/nuts on each side of the hood. Now the back of the hood doesn't close completely. Nothing has been stripped per se.

Got my hands on the wheel, foot to the pedal, gonna drive this car till the tires turn to metal - gonna sleep when I'm dead and laugh at the devil..

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:36 PM

If there is enough thread too put vice grips on.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreez View Post
If there is enough thread too put vice grips on.

Not sure what you mean. It spins in the hole. There is no way I can turn the bolt. the nut left is "mooring" if you know what I mean. The only way the bolt is coming off is if I cut it off and then the nut would drop somewhere in the bottom of the hood.

Dean

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 PM

I think your only hope is to pull down hard enough on the bolt that it unscrews from the nut then 2 people holding the hood and titling back and forth to work the nut out of one of the holes in the brace. Remember the old wooden toys that had a BB to get through a maze.
They make captive nuts that go on from the outside but I cant picture what you actually need.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:19 PM

That will probably require some surgery unfortunately.

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
I think your only hope is to pull down hard enough on the bolt that it unscrews from the nut then 2 people holding the hood and titling back and forth to work the nut out of one of the holes in the brace. Remember the old wooden toys that had a BB to get through a maze.
They make captive nuts that go on from the outside but I cant picture what you actually need.

Now were getting closer..can you tell me how the bolts are held into place for the hood? I assumed there was a nut behind the hood or - is it just drilled into a thick piece of steel like seat bolt anchors? If this was the case why would the bolt spin?,

Thanks - Dean

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RR View Post
It's the captive nut inside the hood broke loose as the nut was being tightened. There are 2 bolts/nuts on each side of the hood. Now the back of the hood doesn't close completely. Nothing has been stripped per se.
Ugh? That's Biatch?

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Which one is it? Front or rear? Either one, you might be able to get away with drilling an extra hole, about 1" diameter and see if you can somehow fish a nut with a star washer in there to catch the bolt. This method might compromise the structure though.
Otherwise you'll have to cut the old one out and weld a new one in.
Either way, it's going to require some surgery.

… Still trying to think of a way to get a clip-nut in there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HoodHinge.jpg (46.3 KB, 6 views)

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.

Last edited by FrankieThe69Kid; 09-07-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
Ugh? That's Biatch?

Yeh tell me about this car is nothing but a headache. Its been one thing after another - But I may have an idea that might not cost me a thousand bucks in cutting/welding and a respray. If I have enough threads showing is to cut off the head of the bolt and slip a washer and nut on the end of it. I just need to have enough thread to do it.

Any other suggestions?

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Whack the head off the bolt, pull the rest of the bolts, flip the hood upside down on something nice and soft and "surgically" remove the nut. I can't remember if it's a captive nut, a J-nut or affixed to a plate inside the hood frame but patience will get it fixed.
wills70 likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieThe69Kid View Post
Which one is it? Front or rear? Either one, you might be able to get away with drilling an extra hole, about 1" diameter and see if you can somehow fish a nut with a star washer in there to catch the bolt. This method might compromise the structure though.
Otherwise you'll have to cut the old one out and weld a new one in.
Either way, it's going to require some surgery.

Still trying to think of a way to get a clip-nut in there...

Thanks for the suggestion - its the rear one. I'm at a loss. I don't have a welder and not the car is concours or anything but its nice and do want

keep it from looking too half assed ,

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:14 PM

you could try grinding the head of the bolt off and thread a nut on the threads left and gently tighten the nut while someone holds the hood against the hinge. Wes
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 PM

Your idea sounds like it could work. If it doesn't, and you're confident you've got the hinge in the right spot you could tack weld the hinge to the hood.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page