Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 26Likes

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:14 PM

I didnt know such a thing was available but should have seen it coming.
To me the only reason now to use the earlier version is to try and hide that its EFI, better is better right? I would assume the intake part is pretty much tuned to flow well for each application.
From the video I'd think the only thing I would like better is to have dual O2 sensors just to be more obsessive with it

Verbose Vocabularian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
According to Edlebrockís website the Pro Flo is 7.75Ē total.
I was looking at the 550 max HP system. ( 35940 manifold height: 6.35". Throttle body height: 2.25").

The 450 HP system is indeed 7.75" and will just squeak by with standard motor mounts and a HiPo air cleaner. (35930 manifold height: 5.5". Throttle body height: 2.25")

Looks like a good winter project!
Quicksilver66 likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:38 AM

I'd definitely do the Edlebrock. I'd have to agree the TBI is antiquated, It's a old format. When was the last time you saw a production car with TBI? How many other aftermarket companies offer a port injection system?
Fishfreq and Quicksilver66 like this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 AM

I too agree if I were shopping EFI right now id go with the edelbrock for the money, not only is it sequential port injection with the manifold included but it also comes with the distributor and built in timing control.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
I am still going to wait it out. My Quickfuel 780 equipped 427 Windsor delivers well. Short of convenience (cold start that takes a minute or so now...) I have read nothing of gains over a properly dyno tuned carburetor. We shall see. Certainly the wait has brought technology with lower cost.
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback
And probably another $300-400 for a fuel pump and accessories .

68 302-4V w/1.84",1.54" ported , Comp XE268H , 2200 rpm Hughes converter, 3.25 9" w/10x2.5" shoes , MSD box/distrib , RPM intake , 670 Holley , cross flow aluminum radiator , Granada discs......

Michael S.

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
I didnt know such a thing was available but should have seen it coming.
To me the only reason now to use the earlier version is to try and hide that its EFI, better is better right? I would assume the intake part is pretty much tuned to flow well for each application.
From the video I'd think the only thing I would like better is to have dual O2 sensors just to be more obsessive with it
That was a concern of mine. I want my car to appear stockish but have modern amenities. After seeing the pro flo on a few engines the rails don't stick out much and to the average person they wont notice them.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Good morning everyone-

I am planning to add EFI to my car over the winter and am wondering if anyone has experience with the Pro Flo 4....https://www.edelbrock.com/meet-pro-flo-4
I have an iPhone, so it won't work on my car.
Fishfreq and mikeyhunts like this.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustmatt View Post

Me either!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
It was mentioned in an earlier post, the additional expenses to support the Pro Flo install. Therefore, in an attempt to get the "on the street" cost, will not the following be needed?
Just guessing, these additional parts can easily add $300-500, to do it correctly.

BTW, feel free to add.....

1. Cost of the unit, itself
2. High pressure fuel pump?
3. Plumbing costs assoc. with the HP pump install
4. Return fuel line and cost
5. 02 Sensor bung welded in the header (if not yet installed)

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustmatt View Post
Big bright android phones are available cheap used everywhere, so you can just buy one, ask your friends if they've got an old one laying around, or buy a larger android tablet. I'd rather have a dedicated device for my EFI so my phone could do phone things.

I'd strongly recommend Samsung Galaxy android devices. A big Galaxy note would be a good choice, and bolt up a phone cradle holder to a flex stalk and make it easy to see or get creative...?
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Supporting Member

For an extra 100$it comes with a tablet....

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
It was mentioned in an earlier post, the additional expenses to support the Pro Flo install. Therefore, in an attempt to get the "on the street" cost, will not the following be needed?
Just guessing, these additional parts can easily add $300-500, to do it correctly.

BTW, feel free to add.....

1. Cost of the unit, itself
2. High pressure fuel pump?
3. Plumbing costs assoc. with the HP pump install
4. Return fuel line and cost
5. 02 Sensor bung welded in the header (if not yet installed)
I think you’ve pretty much summed it up. But to be fair, you would have to purchase these items for the Holley too. Edelbrock also has a fuel sump that can be installed near the engine which eliminates the fuel return. But the instructions do indicate the need for a vent line to run to the gas tank, so I’m not sure what the real value is.

Also, remember that the Pro-Flo comes with a distributor, which the Holley does not.

The one drawback that sort of matters to me, but not so much is that with the Edelbrock, the fuel pump is external. I would prefer to have the pump in the tank for noise and heat reasons. You can add a relay and then use an internal pump, but that seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Holley has a very slick pump assembly that is a direct replacement for our cars, which includes a return fitting. I’ve been wondering if it could be used with the Edelbrock system. I’ve been meaning to call Edelbrock but just haven’t had the time.
kenash likes this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart

Last edited by Quicksilver66; 09-11-2019 at 08:22 PM.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:02 AM

Fuel injection doesn't often add more peak power than a carb, but it can often deliver better average power and almost always better economy. As for throttle body injection vs. port injection? Port injection *usually* wins. You don't have to worry about fuel falling out of suspension, only airflow - and that makes it easier to get the gasoline and air where it's supposed to go. The long runners on a port injection setup can do a really good job with low end torque too.

Sometimes, though, throttle body injection can outperform, on the right intake setup. Reducing intake temps because of vaporization can produce a denser charge on some engines. Additionally, from a pure cosmetic point of view, hiding everything under the air cleaner and making an engine look stock can be fun too. Or running a 'ram air' setup that looks factory? Shaker hood scoop, etc? Hard to do with throttle body setups.

A really good carburetor like the 4100 or Summit M-series can often be *almost* as good as fuel injection, and still deliver top end that's equal to or even better than the very best EFI. You'll still never win when it comes to mileage though, because a carb just can't turn off the fuel when you're on decel and coast. Best you can hope for is 1-2 mpg difference.
Redneckgearhead likes this.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Quote:
....The one drawback that sort of matters to me, but not so much is that with the Edelbrock, the fuel pump is external. I would prefer to have the pump in the tank for noise and heat reasons. You can add a relay and then use an internal pump, but that seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Holley has a very slick pump assembly that is a direct replacement for our cars, which includes a return fitting. Iíve been wondering if it could be used with the Edelbrock system. Iíve been meaning to call Edelbrock but just havenít had the time.
Good point. I'd want the e-pump in the tank for sure. It's clearly superior. Are you talking about the slick Holley in-tank pump with that Hydra-mat pickup screen that does away with the need for slosh baffling in the stock tank? I need something like that but now for a carb now(doing away with the mechanical fuel pump in the timing cover due to packaging problems) and for possible efi in the future. Prob will require a totally different pump because of the pressure differences right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page