Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 25Likes

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Supporting Member

An in tank pump can be used with the pro flo 4 so long as it provides the correct psi. I'm am going to run the aeromotive stealth tank with the built in efi pump.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 06:37 PM

Just found out today at the smoky mountian rod run from cfm motorsports that edelbrock currently has a promotion. If you buy the the pro flo 4 before Oct31 they will give you the fuel sump for free. A $400 high pressure fuel source for free does it for me and I'll have my pro flo ordered before the end of the month.

"If we knew what we were doing it wouldn't be called research would it?" Albert Einstein
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbrand View Post
Fuel injection doesn't often add more peak power than a carb, but it can often deliver better average power and almost always better economy. As for throttle body injection vs. port injection? Port injection *usually* wins. You don't have to worry about fuel falling out of suspension, only airflow - and that makes it easier to get the gasoline and air where it's supposed to go. The long runners on a port injection setup can do a really good job with low end torque too.

Sometimes, though, throttle body injection can outperform, on the right intake setup. Reducing intake temps because of vaporization can produce a denser charge on some engines. Additionally, from a pure cosmetic point of view, hiding everything under the air cleaner and making an engine look stock can be fun too. Or running a 'ram air' setup that looks factory? Shaker hood scoop, etc? Hard to do with throttle body setups.

A really good carburetor like the 4100 or Summit M-series can often be *almost* as good as fuel injection, and still deliver top end that's equal to or even better than the very best EFI. You'll still never win when it comes to mileage though, because a carb just can't turn off the fuel when you're on decel and coast. Best you can hope for is 1-2 mpg difference.
My Edelbrock carb runs pretty well, I donít have too many complaints. Sometimes it will randomly drop idle for a bit, but it usually corrects in a few minutes. Iím really just looking for increased reliability, idle adjustment when the a/c is on and to not have to tune the carb. Many on here are carb whispering tuning wizards, sadly Iím not one of them. Since the car is modded, I figure I might as well go for the new flashy tech. If I get a little better drivability and HP, well that will be a welcome bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
Good point. I'd want the e-pump in the tank for sure. It's clearly superior. Are you talking about the slick Holley in-tank pump with that Hydra-mat pickup screen that does away with the need for slosh baffling in the stock tank? I need something like that but now for a carb now(doing away with the mechanical fuel pump in the timing cover due to packaging problems) and for possible efi in the future. Prob will require a totally different pump because of the pressure differences right?
Thatís the one. Very cool unit. The Holley and Edelbrock systems both require 58 psi, so from that perspective the pump should work. Edelbrock shuts off the negative lead to the pump, where as most other manufacturers shut off the positive lead. This is where the relay will come in, but I canít see why they wouldnít work together.
Fishfreq likes this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
Just found out today at the smoky mountian rod run from cfm motorsports that edelbrock currently has a promotion. If you buy the the pro flo 4 before Oct31 they will give you the fuel sump for free. A $400 high pressure fuel source for free does it for me and I'll have my pro flo ordered before the end of the month.
Thatís awesome! I canít wait to hear how you like it. I donít get the sump though. It says you donít need to run a return fuel line, but it does say youíll need to run a vent line back to the tank. I guess a vent line is easier, but still if Iím running a line I might as well just do the return line and not have to find a spot in the engine bay for the sump. Do I have this correct?

Iím pretty much sold on it, Iím just waiting for the end of the driving season. Unless thereís a compelling reason to buy sooner.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
Thatís awesome! I canít wait to hear how you like it. I donít get the sump though. It says you donít need to run a return fuel line, but it does say youíll need to run a vent line back to the tank. I guess a vent line is easier, but still if Iím running a line I might as well just do the return line and not have to find a spot in the engine bay for the sump. Do I have this correct?

Iím pretty much sold on it, Iím just waiting for the end of the driving season. Unless thereís a compelling reason to buy sooner.
Wait until the down season. Then jump on it. At the moment, I'm putting my winter down time together....
Quicksilver66 likes this.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
I talked to Edelbrock tech support this afternoon and the guy recommended that I not use the sump. He said if it gets hot where you live and you sit in traffic the fuel can heat up. He suggested running the return line so the car always has fresh, cool gas. I think this is the way Iím going. The only question I have to decide is whether to run an external fuel pump or go with an internal along with a relay.
Fishfreq likes this.

Follow me on Instacart
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
I talked to Edelbrock tech support this afternoon and the guy recommended that I not use the sump. He said if it gets hot where you live and you sit in traffic the fuel can heat up. He suggested running the return line so the car always has fresh, cool gas. I think this is the way Iím going. The only question I have to decide is whether to run an external fuel pump or go with an internal along with a relay.
OK, my spin on this.......
In my "down" season, I'm seriously seeking to swap out my FuelSafe Fuel Cell for a 22 gay OEM tank. My fuel cell is at it's end-of-life as it pertains to both the bladder and the foam (anti-slosh). To replace both is approx. $800-$900. Therefore, I'm looking at the "Tanks Inc" website and their products, The return line system is the way to go as it insures you always have a "cool" supply, not to mention it reduces the work efforts on the part of the pump.
The relay is a given, and, I feel, adding an inertia switch is a given too.
Fishfreq and Grimbrand like this.

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 06:39 PM

Another option is the holley returnless pump...I think it's part number 12-305. It's self regulated to 58 psi, goes in the stock location in the tank, comes with a hydramat, and three different float arms for the 16, 20, and 22 gallon tanks. I'm using one and other than the fuel gauge being a bit wonky, it's worked very well.

Early 65
1998 5.0, fitech efi, holley in tank returnless pump
4R70W transmission with USShift quick 2 controller
3.00:1 8" open rear end
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
OK, my spin on this.......

In my "down" season, I'm seriously seeking to swap out my FuelSafe Fuel Cell for a 22 gay OEM tank. My fuel cell is at it's end-of-life as it pertains to both the bladder and the foam (anti-slosh). To replace both is approx. $800-$900. Therefore, I'm looking at the "Tanks Inc" website and their products, The return line system is the way to go as it insures you always have a "cool" supply, not to mention it reduces the work efforts on the part of the pump.

The relay is a given, and, I feel, adding an inertia switch is a given too.
I'd encourage you to look at the Aeromotive Stealth II tank.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Dez

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2me View Post
Another option is the holley returnless pump...I think it's part number 12-305. It's self regulated to 58 psi, goes in the stock location in the tank, comes with a hydramat, and three different float arms for the 16, 20, and 22 gallon tanks. I'm using one and other than the fuel gauge being a bit wonky, it's worked very well.
I'm running the same pump and so far have had no problems whatsoever. Unless I tell them otherwise, nobody can tell I'm running the Fitech system. That being said I went with Fitech because I got an extremely good deal on it otherwise I would've seriously considered the Edlebrock system. The word "stock" has not been used to describe my car for a lot longer than I've owned it.

1967 Coupe, 289, AOD with Hurst V-Matic II shifter, Vintage Venom front disc brakes, Unisteer power rack and pinion, Full AAW wiring harness, Fitech fuel injection with in tank Holley returnless fuel pump, 1" lowering springs front and rear, Northern aluminum 24" radiator with clutch fan, Mid-80's Mustang SVO seats with Mach 1 style TMI covers.
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:08 PM

I don't get the not running a return style fuel system and a in tank fuel pump? Buy a 3/8" pre-bent hard line from NPD as the supply and use the original 5/16" as the return. Modify the tank and firewall ends as necessary to work with the new stuff and use as little "soft line" as possible.

Really liking the price point of this Edelbrock system but I am more concerned about going around the corners at this point. If my FiTech system even hiccups though, I'm all over it!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber70Mach View Post
Thanks for your advice, will look.

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Location: Granite Bay, California, 5 minutes from Folsom Lake
Garage
Foam vs Hydramat

Quote:
The Aeromotive tank uses foam in a chamber to provide fuel in hard cornering, and foam has a limited life submerged in fuel. I'm wondering if that Holley Hydramat is as magic as their marketing makes it out to be? Would be easier to replace too, than foam, I think? Anyone vouch for Hydramat being able to provide enough cfm for EFI like Pro Flo?
post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
Quote:
The Aeromotive tank uses foam in a chamber to provide fuel in hard cornering, and foam has a limited life submerged in fuel. I'm wondering if that Holley Hydramat is as magic as their marketing makes it out to be? Would be easier to replace too, than foam, I think? Anyone vouch for Hydramat being able to provide enough cfm for EFI like Pro Flo?
That's why I love these forums.... Never knew this product existed.....

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Garage
I watch the vid and it's an impressive product. Not sure of the cost but, it has a limited lifetime similar to the bladder and foam in fuel cells.

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page