Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 28Likes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Edelbrock Pro Flo 4

Good morning everyone-

I am planning to add EFI to my car over the winter and am wondering if anyone has experience with the Pro Flo 4. The Holley Sniper is a popular option and I’ve been thinking a lot about it, but can’t help but wonder if it’s somewhat antiquated at this point. Edelbrock stopped making their TBI system to focus on the Pro Flo. It’s likely only a matter of time before Holley does the same. If going EFI it makes sense to me to go multi-port to get the most out of the technology. I know Edelbrock is more expensive, but I’m of the buy once, cry once mindset. I appreciate your thoughts. Have a great Monday!

https://www.edelbrock.com/meet-pro-flo-4
Fishfreq likes this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart

Last edited by Quicksilver66; 09-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM

I'm considering going EFI myself. Have no knowledge of the new Edelbrock system, but never heard anything but good things about the antiquated Holley Sniper, lol. Subscribed to this thread for other opinions.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

--------

1965 Fastback owned since 1986 - original 289 block & heads - bored .030 over - ported & polished heads - triple angle valve job - performer RPM intake and cam - 10:1 compression - forged pistons - 600cfm holley 4150 - ford full length headers - 4 speed toploader - original 8 inch rear with 3.73 LSD - wilwood front disc brake conversion - upgraded suspension lowered 1 inch - welded sub-frame connectors - 3 row radiator - monte carlo bar - export brace - complete MSD ignition
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:59 AM

I likewise would not call the Holley Sniper "antiquated," although I do like Edelbrock products. But no way I'm paying $600 more just to get theirs.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Supporting Member

I'm planning on running the pro Flo 4 on my 393 build. After doing some research and watching a few YT shows about it, I believe it's worth the cost difference.
Quicksilver66 likes this.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Very happy with my "antiquated" Sniper system. Having run Edelbrock and Holley 670 SA carbs on the same motor, I can say that the car has never run better and/or stronger.
Fishfreq likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 AM

That Pro Flo system does look cool.
It does have some cool options like the Bluetooth tablet compatibility. I wish the Sniper had that vs corded.

Since Iím running a cleveland, itís not an option for me...

Iíve already purchased the Super Sniper and I do like hearing all the wonderful reviews.
It would appear that from a shear simplicity and complexity, the Sniper wins hands down.
It would appear the Pro Flow has significantly more parts and requires an intake change etc.
The bolt on and go is sure nice.

Just my $.02 Worth which wonít get you a piece of bubble gum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
Looks like a decent setup for a good price. Not much more than the cost of the Sniper plus an intake.

I wouldn't call the TBI systems "antiquated", more like an option for those that don't want to replace their current intake. Hopefully they will eventually cover the full spectrum of Ford engines.

Never understood why they named their EFI systems after an air filter that everyone has a horror story about....

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)

Last edited by Hemikiller; 09-09-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:42 PM

Garage
Looks like a nice complete system. I've always thought direct port injection is a better system. The $1600-1800 range is a decent cost for the package. !'d go this route if, I was looking.......

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:22 PM

I looked into this a while ago. I talked to a few other guys on forums who are into EFI systems way more than I will ever be. there are some good features with this like sequential firing vs batch firing. Down side is, its pretty vauge on how much HP it can handle. one guy tore it apart and said that the injectors were pretty small and cheap, making higher HP motors probably unable to use this. With that said, none of them had any experience with upgrades on them and probably for most of us who arnt running our cars like wild apes, it'll work fine. One thing that is good about the Fitech is that Bosch injectors fit and the system can handle quite a jump in injector size. I would like to give it a try, but my fitech seems to be working just fine.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Ha! Perhaps antiquated was too strong of a word, but certainly I think multi-port injection is more advanced technology. Itís much closer to what modern vehicles are running today. I just donít want to buy another Betamax. For you young folks, google that. All kidding aside, if I am going through the hassle of upgrading and running additional fuel lines etc, it makes sense to me to get the most advanced system I can. Changing the manifold is no big deal. From what I have read so far, the Pro Flo seems to get good reviews. Thanks for everyoneís thoughts.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
Ha! Perhaps antiquated was too strong of a word, but certainly I think multi-port injection is more advanced technology. It’s much closer to what modern vehicles are running today. I just don’t want to buy another Betamax. For you young folks, google that. All kidding aside, if I am going through the hassle of upgrading and running additional fuel lines etc, it makes sense to me to get the most advanced system I can. Changing the manifold is no big deal. From what I have read so far, the Pro Flo seems to get good reviews. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts.
Not to mention the pro Flo is designed to run as a system. There's no dispute on what intake to run etc...
1ofAMillion+ likes this.

Scott

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 PM

I like the look of the system. One thing I learned from getting one of the first FiTech systems is don't be an early buyer, let the other guys work out the bugs and buy a year or 2 later when the bugs are worked out and the competition comes out with a similar system driving prices down.
c6fastback and 19Fastback65 like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 PM

I think the hight of the manifold and throttle body could be an issue at least on 65-66 cars. The EFI system adds up to about 8 9/16". My Performer 289 manifold, FiTech TBI, and one inch spacer add up to 7 9/16" and with a repo HiPo air cleaner on top I've got less than a 1/2" clearance from the top of the air cleaner to the hood. Not that I should be considering such upgrades anyway!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I think the hight of the manifold and throttle body could be an issue at least on 65-66 cars. The EFI system adds up to about 8 9/16". My Performer 289 manifold, FiTech TBI, and one inch spacer add up to 7 9/16" and with a repo HiPo air cleaner on top I've got less than a 1/2" clearance from the top of the air cleaner to the hood. Not that I should be considering such upgrades anyway!
According to Edlebrockís website the Pro Flo is 7.75Ē total.

Follow me on Instacart
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Supporting Member

I would think it should be shorter as the only thing on top of the intake is the throttle blades.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page