Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Edelbrock Pro Flo 4

87K views 386 replies 61 participants last post by  disquek 
#1 · (Edited)
Good morning everyone-

I am planning to add EFI to my car over the winter and am wondering if anyone has experience with the Pro Flo 4. The Holley Sniper is a popular option and I’ve been thinking a lot about it, but can’t help but wonder if it’s somewhat antiquated at this point. Edelbrock stopped making their TBI system to focus on the Pro Flo. It’s likely only a matter of time before Holley does the same. If going EFI it makes sense to me to go multi-port to get the most out of the technology. I know Edelbrock is more expensive, but I’m of the buy once, cry once mindset. I appreciate your thoughts. Have a great Monday!

https://www.edelbrock.com/meet-pro-flo-4

Reactions: Fishfreq
#2 ·
I'm considering going EFI myself. Have no knowledge of the new Edelbrock system, but never heard anything but good things about the antiquated Holley Sniper, lol. Subscribed to this thread for other opinions.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Very happy with my "antiquated" Sniper system. Having run Edelbrock and Holley 670 SA carbs on the same motor, I can say that the car has never run better and/or stronger.

#6 ·
That Pro Flo system does look cool.
It does have some cool options like the Bluetooth tablet compatibility. I wish the Sniper had that vs corded.

Since I’m running a cleveland, it’s not an option for me...

I’ve already purchased the Super Sniper and I do like hearing all the wonderful reviews.
It would appear that from a shear simplicity and complexity, the Sniper wins hands down.
It would appear the Pro Flow has significantly more parts and requires an intake change etc.
The bolt on and go is sure nice.

Just my $.02 Worth which won’t get you a piece of bubble gum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
Looks like a decent setup for a good price. Not much more than the cost of the Sniper plus an intake.

I wouldn't call the TBI systems "antiquated", more like an option for those that don't want to replace their current intake. Hopefully they will eventually cover the full spectrum of Ford engines.

Never understood why they named their EFI systems after an air filter that everyone has a horror story about....

#8 ·
Looks like a nice complete system. I've always thought direct port injection is a better system. The $1600-1800 range is a decent cost for the package. !'d go this route if, I was looking.......

#9 ·
I looked into this a while ago. I talked to a few other guys on forums who are into EFI systems way more than I will ever be. there are some good features with this like sequential firing vs batch firing. Down side is, its pretty vauge on how much HP it can handle. one guy tore it apart and said that the injectors were pretty small and cheap, making higher HP motors probably unable to use this. With that said, none of them had any experience with upgrades on them and probably for most of us who arnt running our cars like wild apes, it'll work fine. One thing that is good about the Fitech is that Bosch injectors fit and the system can handle quite a jump in injector size. I would like to give it a try, but my fitech seems to be working just fine.

#10 ·
Ha! Perhaps antiquated was too strong of a word, but certainly I think multi-port injection is more advanced technology. It’s much closer to what modern vehicles are running today. I just don’t want to buy another Betamax. For you young folks, google that. All kidding aside, if I am going through the hassle of upgrading and running additional fuel lines etc, it makes sense to me to get the most advanced system I can. Changing the manifold is no big deal. From what I have read so far, the Pro Flo seems to get good reviews. Thanks for everyone’s thoughts.

#12 ·
I like the look of the system. One thing I learned from getting one of the first FiTech systems is don't be an early buyer, let the other guys work out the bugs and buy a year or 2 later when the bugs are worked out and the competition comes out with a similar system driving prices down.

#13 ·
I think the hight of the manifold and throttle body could be an issue at least on 65-66 cars. The EFI system adds up to about 8 9/16". My Performer 289 manifold, FiTech TBI, and one inch spacer add up to 7 9/16" and with a repo HiPo air cleaner on top I've got less than a 1/2" clearance from the top of the air cleaner to the hood. Not that I should be considering such upgrades anyway!

#16 ·
I didnt know such a thing was available but should have seen it coming.
To me the only reason now to use the earlier version is to try and hide that its EFI, better is better right? I would assume the intake part is pretty much tuned to flow well for each application.
From the video I'd think the only thing I would like better is to have dual O2 sensors just to be more obsessive with it:)

#22 ·
That was a concern of mine. I want my car to appear stockish but have modern amenities. After seeing the pro flo on a few engines the rails don't stick out much and to the average person they wont notice them.

#20 ·
I am still going to wait it out. My Quickfuel 780 equipped 427 Windsor delivers well. Short of convenience (cold start that takes a minute or so now...) I have read nothing of gains over a properly dyno tuned carburetor. We shall see. Certainly the wait has brought technology with lower cost.

#21 ·
And probably another $300-400 for a fuel pump and accessories .

#23 ·
#25 ·
It was mentioned in an earlier post, the additional expenses to support the Pro Flo install. Therefore, in an attempt to get the "on the street" cost, will not the following be needed?
Just guessing, these additional parts can easily add $300-500, to do it correctly.

BTW, feel free to add.....

1. Cost of the unit, itself
2. High pressure fuel pump?
3. Plumbing costs assoc. with the HP pump install
4. Return fuel line and cost
5. 02 Sensor bung welded in the header (if not yet installed)

#28 · (Edited)
I think you’ve pretty much summed it up. But to be fair, you would have to purchase these items for the Holley too. Edelbrock also has a fuel sump that can be installed near the engine which eliminates the fuel return. But the instructions do indicate the need for a vent line to run to the gas tank, so I’m not sure what the real value is.

Also, remember that the Pro-Flo comes with a distributor, which the Holley does not.

The one drawback that sort of matters to me, but not so much is that with the Edelbrock, the fuel pump is external. I would prefer to have the pump in the tank for noise and heat reasons. You can add a relay and then use an internal pump, but that seems unnecessarily complicated to me. Holley has a very slick pump assembly that is a direct replacement for our cars, which includes a return fitting. I’ve been wondering if it could be used with the Edelbrock system. I’ve been meaning to call Edelbrock but just haven’t had the time.

Reactions: kenash
#29 ·
Fuel injection doesn't often add more peak power than a carb, but it can often deliver better average power and almost always better economy. As for throttle body injection vs. port injection? Port injection *usually* wins. You don't have to worry about fuel falling out of suspension, only airflow - and that makes it easier to get the gasoline and air where it's supposed to go. The long runners on a port injection setup can do a really good job with low end torque too.

Sometimes, though, throttle body injection can outperform, on the right intake setup. Reducing intake temps because of vaporization can produce a denser charge on some engines. Additionally, from a pure cosmetic point of view, hiding everything under the air cleaner and making an engine look stock can be fun too. Or running a 'ram air' setup that looks factory? Shaker hood scoop, etc? Hard to do with throttle body setups.

A really good carburetor like the 4100 or Summit M-series can often be *almost* as good as fuel injection, and still deliver top end that's equal to or even better than the very best EFI. You'll still never win when it comes to mileage though, because a carb just can't turn off the fuel when you're on decel and coast. Best you can hope for is 1-2 mpg difference.

#33 ·
My Edelbrock carb runs pretty well, I don’t have too many complaints. Sometimes it will randomly drop idle for a bit, but it usually corrects in a few minutes. I’m really just looking for increased reliability, idle adjustment when the a/c is on and to not have to tune the carb. Many on here are carb whispering tuning wizards, sadly I’m not one of them. Since the car is modded, I figure I might as well go for the new flashy tech. If I get a little better drivability and HP, well that will be a welcome bonus.

Good point. I'd want the e-pump in the tank for sure. It's clearly superior. Are you talking about the slick Holley in-tank pump with that Hydra-mat pickup screen that does away with the need for slosh baffling in the stock tank? I need something like that but now for a carb now(doing away with the mechanical fuel pump in the timing cover due to packaging problems) and for possible efi in the future. Prob will require a totally different pump because of the pressure differences right?
That’s the one. Very cool unit. The Holley and Edelbrock systems both require 58 psi, so from that perspective the pump should work. Edelbrock shuts off the negative lead to the pump, where as most other manufacturers shut off the positive lead. This is where the relay will come in, but I can’t see why they wouldn’t work together.

#31 ·
An in tank pump can be used with the pro flo 4 so long as it provides the correct psi. I'm am going to run the aeromotive stealth tank with the built in efi pump.

#32 ·
Just found out today at the smoky mountian rod run from cfm motorsports that edelbrock currently has a promotion. If you buy the the pro flo 4 before Oct31 they will give you the fuel sump for free. A $400 high pressure fuel source for free does it for me and I'll have my pro flo ordered before the end of the month.

#34 ·
That’s awesome! I can’t wait to hear how you like it. I don’t get the sump though. It says you don’t need to run a return fuel line, but it does say you’ll need to run a vent line back to the tank. I guess a vent line is easier, but still if I’m running a line I might as well just do the return line and not have to find a spot in the engine bay for the sump. Do I have this correct?

I’m pretty much sold on it, I’m just waiting for the end of the driving season. Unless there’s a compelling reason to buy sooner.

#38 ·
Another option is the holley returnless pump...I think it's part number 12-305. It's self regulated to 58 psi, goes in the stock location in the tank, comes with a hydramat, and three different float arms for the 16, 20, and 22 gallon tanks. I'm using one and other than the fuel gauge being a bit wonky, it's worked very well.

#40 ·
I'm running the same pump and so far have had no problems whatsoever. Unless I tell them otherwise, nobody can tell I'm running the Fitech system. That being said I went with Fitech because I got an extremely good deal on it otherwise I would've seriously considered the Edlebrock system. The word "stock" has not been used to describe my car for a lot longer than I've owned it.

#41 ·
I don't get the not running a return style fuel system and a in tank fuel pump? Buy a 3/8" pre-bent hard line from NPD as the supply and use the original 5/16" as the return. Modify the tank and firewall ends as necessary to work with the new stuff and use as little "soft line" as possible.

Really liking the price point of this Edelbrock system but I am more concerned about going around the corners at this point. If my FiTech system even hiccups though, I'm all over it!

Reactions: Redneckgearhead
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.