Bizarre oil change coincidence. - Vintage Mustang Forums
 14Likes
  • 11 Post By JRFox
  • 2 Post By CJM68GT390
  • 1 Post By dobrostang

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Bizarre oil change coincidence.

So I perform an oil and filter change on my 302 and everything is going fine.

When it is all done and I am happy I start the engine. I immediately notice the oil pressure gauge is showing no oil pressure and I shut off the engine.

I check everything over and it all checks out. I even unscrew the oil filter and double-check it is all ok. Everything looks fine.

It turns out the oil pressure sender decided to stop working at the same time as my oil change. I just happened to have a spare one and I fitted it and the gauge now works as expected.

I like to know why things stop working, so I used a cutting disc to cut the sender can open. It was corroded up inside really badly. So it was going bad for quite some time.

So not the end of the world, but a bit scary when immediately after an oil change, the gauge is showing no oil pressure.

And I am not happy about the sender failing as it only lasted 50 years. I am going to write a letter to Ford about this. Are things not made to last anymore?

Jeremy.

Last edited by JRFox; 09-10-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Good catch.
Could be worse, the engine could have seized up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:03 PM

Sometimes a bit of crud works its way into the sending unit orifice. Thats all it takes for a zero reading.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:05 PM

1. That's the kind of bizarre coincidence that ages you prematurely.
2. No, they don't make them like that anymore.
Boss5Oh and myfirstcar66 like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Just an FYI, Unless you are going at 5,000-6,000 RPMs at the time, As long as the engine physically has oil in it...and it loses oil pressure. Absolutely nothing will happen. The engine is more than designed to take Oil Pressure loss at normal RPMs... just the same as if you lost your oil pump or if you broke your oil pump rod to the distributor.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 09-10-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFox View Post

And I am not happy about the sender failing as it only lasted 50 years. I am going to write a letter to Ford about this. Are things not made to last anymore?

Jeremy.
Hey, I recently replaced my 50 year old starter relay just because. It was starting to look old though!

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:37 PM

Same sort of thing will corrode a fuel tank. Moisture accumulates on the insides of things... that's just nature. It'll stick to the inside walls of whatever container it's in. It's heavier than anything in the petroleum family so, once it runs down the walls, it settles on the bottom of whatever it's in... fuel tank, oil pan, oil sender, gas filter... and if it's metal, it'll corrode it.
Change your oil every spring after winter storage, and fuel stabilizer is a good thing.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladezo View Post
Hey, I recently replaced my 50 year old starter relay just because. It was starting to look old though!
I had the same problem, the old relay worked fine, looked bad. I masked it off, gently glass-beaded the bracket, then painted the steel to look like cad plating. It's still on the car, years later.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFox View Post
I like to know why things stop working, so I used a cutting disc to cut the sender can open. It was corroded up inside really badly. So it was going bad for quite some time.

Jeremy.

I would demand a refund of the full price of the car when new, including options! Have your Lawyer draw up a letter on his letterhead, don't let the "MAN" get away with it
2nd 66 likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Supporting Member

Jeremy,

On the bright side, it happened in your garage while you had a spare on the shelf.
Having it give you a false zero psi reading on the road could really ruin a weekend.
You sit on the side or the road waiting for a tow home or to the shop, wondering what the internals look like, fearing the worst.
Then stew a few days til you have the time to get to diagnose the issue.
Yah, be bit of a coincidence, but a gift horse from my vantage point.
Tell Henry hello and thank him as well
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Since using the car with the new oil pressure sender, I am noticing that I am getting a higher oil pressure reading on the gauge than before. Only slightly more, but enough to notice.

They are similar to a fuel level sender with a variable resistor made from windings of resistance wire with a wiper going across it. And aftermarket fuel level senders can be a bit hit or miss with how good they are. The replacement sender I had is aftermarket so I think I will buy a genuine Ford one.

Last edited by JRFox; 09-12-2019 at 05:06 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Garage
i bet theres nothing wrong with the sender

soak in in kerosene or acetone over night shake it around and blow out the hole and soak it again

mines been going 50 yrs. Did this about 5 times since it was new, we are the original owners of the engine

also did it for countless friends all have the sender still working

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Are you saying you didn't have oil pressure immediately like within 30 seconds or less you turned off the engine?

Verbose Vocabularian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page