Rust after Sandblasting - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By NEFaurora
  • 2 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Rust after Sandblasting

I had my car blasted on Saturday and looks good but I put in garage and covered up and was planning on hitting with epoxy in a couple weeks after I hit it with a sander knock off the rough spots and clean the metal. I looked at today and started seeing what looks like rust coming back (darks spots) in some of the pits in the floor and other areas where heavily pitted (no holes). Bummer

Just a little bummed to see rust in pits coming back so fast. Just curious if other have experience with epoxy and if it will seals pits forms rusting anymore? Or if will need to reblast the spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM

depending on the enviroment its in, bare metal will start rusting immediately...it can be back within an hour....its very important that after stripping the paint that it be stored in a dry enviroment(use a dehumidifier in any garage...my garage gets VERY humid sometimes). But to answer your question...strip those areas again the day of the planned priming. Also...oddly enough I have noticed that bare spots I have been working with will rust MUCH slower if I make sure to put a car cover over the car as soon as I finish working(whether the car is inside or outside at the time)...not sure why that would be...but I dont argue with my eyes
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"and was planning on hitting with epoxy in a couple weeks"

Mistake#1.

When you have bare metal, You have literally a "A few hours" to prime it before rust and oxidation start to do their work...

Mistake#2.

Noone today should have their Body Panels "Sand Blasted" Using actual "Sand" actually creates "pits" in the metal on its own. The only media that should be used to strip a body panel(s) today is Plastic Media or at worst Walnut Shells. That's all.

So endeth the lesson.

There is absolutely "No Surprise" as to why what happened with your car. What you did provided that EXACT Expected results.

)

Tony K.
Fitch likes this.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; Yesterday at 09:38 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

High humidity like here in Louisiana and itíll flash over almost immediately.

Ospho, or another PA product, followed by Master Series will take care of it.

Ex-wife,....."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thatís a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 07:19 AM

Sand blasting creates heat that distorts metal. Chances are you now have warped body panels.

By not getting a protective coat on it immediately, you have created a hornets nest of additional work for yourself.

Study up on relative humidity and dew point. If you are involved in painting, it is must know knowledge.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 07:27 AM

Another possibility, you didn't actually get all the rust removed from the pits. I've noticed many times, the part looks nice and clean, but there will often be rust left in the bottom of the pits that is very hard to see. You have to "dwell" over these spots with the blaster to get them fully clean to the bottom.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I'll swear by it (again). Picklex20. I've had treated bare metal go through the change of seasons from Fall to Winter to Spring with temps going above/below freezing and resulting condensation/humidity with nary a spec of flash rust. I always have a gallon stashed in my cabinet... don't care if it's lawn furniture, black iron gas line, etc., it gets Picklexed.
Huntingky and hsvtoolfool like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I'll swear by it (again). Picklex20. I've had treated bare metal go through the change of seasons from Fall to Winter to Spring with temps going above/below freezing and resulting condensation/humidity with nary a spec of flash rust. I always have a gallon stashed in my cabinet... don't care if it's lawn furniture, black iron gas line, etc., it gets Picklexed.
I will STRONGLY second the suggestion of Picklex20. Like Woodchuck described, due to my varying schedule and life in general, I sometimes only had a few hours here and there to work on mine and seasons changed while working on one section (in Kentucky, that can be morning to night!) and I kept the metal treated.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 09:16 AM

Garage
I used SEM RustMort to kill any rust left in the surface rust pits on the body panels of my '71. 16 years later - no issues.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smm-69501/overview/

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 11:10 PM

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page