NOOB 66 restomod gauges question - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 31Likes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 PM

I personally can't stand huge aftermarket tachs...they look terrible and always have. If you want a gauge solution in a restomod 66, the cleanest way is to buy a 6 GAUGE cluster like this:

Along with MODERN gauges...Sunpro is pretty terrible these days...there are much better choices..plenty that look old school while retaining the more modern full sweep, LED, stepper motor technology, such as Autometer's CS series...most of Speedhut's offerings, or less well known gauges like Marshall...even some Ebay specials work fine and look good.
Huntingky, 2nd 66, image98 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
I went Dakota Digital and am more than pleased.

FTWingRiders likes this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Checking out the Dakota Digital site I see they have the new RTX which looks OEM, but with a hidden LED bar tach around the speedometer... hmmm.. I like the factory look of the gauges..

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1209.htm

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Garage
I went with the 6 gauge cluster. I used speedhut gauges but kept them plain to better match the previous gauges. I had a terrible time with speedometer gears so I also have their GPS speedo...it's pretty nice so far.

Here's a pic of the layout. Gauges are: fuel, oil pressure, speed, tach, water, volts. The dash pod has AF (i really dont like the speedhut AF gauge...the needle is annoying and it's not very reliable. I intend to swap this with an AEM wideband), fuel pressure (i have EFI), oil temp (for now)

image98 and FTWingRiders like this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser012001 View Post
I went with the 6 gauge cluster. I used speedhut gauges but kept them plain to better match the previous gauges. I had a terrible time with speedometer gears so I also have their GPS speedo...it's pretty nice so far.

Here's a pic of the layout. Gauges are: fuel, oil pressure, speed, tach, water, volts. The dash pod has AF (i really dont like the speedhut AF gauge...the needle is annoying and it's not very reliable. I intend to swap this with an AEM wideband), fuel pressure (i have EFI), oil temp (for now)

I suggest dumping the AFR gauge myself...AEM in particular is a distracting lightshow(ask me how I know). If you do feel the need to have AFR display constantly on your dash, I suggest using an Innovate LC1 controller and one of their analog gauges...far less distracting(AFR jumps around all over the place during normal driving, even if its just from 13.7-14.7, that last digit is always changing). AFR is great, but on my cars, I just use a controller that is NOT also a gauge and just plug it into the laptop while tuning or for diagnostic to display...its like a clock...not something I would put in a gauge.

Those speedhut gauges looks good...question though...is there really a read ring around them, or is that a reflection of the red needle on the chrome bezel?
rdu_pony likes this.

Last edited by wicked93gs; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Garage
I had toyed with removing the AFR gauge as well since I have EFI. I would want one on the convertible which is still carbureted until i get it ironed out. That would leave me some room for nitrous pressure or boost when the supercharger is added to the hard top (this car) in a few years.

No red ring. That's the reflection from the tail lights.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:

I really like those dashpod gauges, that's a really clean look!!
chaser012001 likes this.

1966 Mustang 2-Door Coupe
Engine: 1980 302 bored 0.060, so 311 ci. 351 heads, Holley 670 cfm 4 barrel, Eldebrock Torker II 289 intake, Competition Cam 276 duration 490 lift.
Trans: 1966 C4, recently rebuilt
Rear End: 8.8" rear end, 3.73 ratio w/ tractionlok, sourced from 91-94 explorer
Brakes: disc in front, drum in rear. Manual all around, single reservoir
Non-numbers matching

My plan is just to build a decently powerful muscle car that looks good but is a driver not a show car.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Well damn... doesnít that look good. I couldnít find a lot a pics of the 6 gauge actually installed that I liked, but yours look great. It would hold all but the AF gauge, but I have some time before I need to figure it all out. Thanks for posting!!

Hmm.. this isnít going to be easy..lol
chaser012001 likes this.

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by image98 View Post
Eddie motorsports billet aluminum dash bezel with AutoMeter ES gauges.

Very nice! Such a clean look... just something about billet aluminum..

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Today, 09:25 AM

Another option is a six gauge instrument panel. Here's my '66.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1005.jpeg (357.8 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page