NOOB 66 restomod gauges question - Vintage Mustang Forums
 32Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

NOOB 66 restomod gauges question

Hello all..

My hardtop is a restomod, and has the simple muscle car vibe which I love. I have a big SunPro tach on the column with a 3 gauge pod under the heater controls with oil/temp/AFR in it. It has a new speedo but the rest of the gauges in the dash are original... fairly dim, dingy and the oil and temp aren't hooked up. I like the pods, tho I need to move them a few inches so they aren't behind the steering wheel, but hate having dead gauges in the dash.. not sure what I should do..

I could:

Update the gauges in the dash to newer and remove the pod, however my oil gauge will be behind my tach..

Replace the 4 factory gauges with new, but leave the two dead.. or is it possible to have both the factory and sunpro's hooked up?

Do nothing with the factory gauges and that would really keep the old school shade tree mod feel...lol

Not really interested in the 6 gauge package, and Speedo/tach combo looks busy and hard to read at speed..(I'm old)...LOL!

What do most do here to keep tabs on whats going on under the hood? Pics are always welcome!

Thanks, Forrest

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Where's your dash pad?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Where's your dash pad?
LOL! I forgot most have the pad, however it was left off in tribute to the original 65 Shelby GT 350 R with came with out it. I personally love the clean look of the bare dash, tho I know its not for everyone.

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Garage
Maybe find an original style rally pack to put your gauges on the column and still be able to see the dash?

You could probably find an AFR gauge that would fit in place of that clock and then with the original dash gauges working you should have everything.

If you like the under dash gauges you should be able to run those and the ones in the cluster at the same time. They just need separate wiring and sending units. You'll just need to find a spot for extra oil pressure and temperature sensors.

There are extensions that let you put two oil senders in the same hole on the block, so that'd be easy for the oil gauges. Then you'll just need to find an extra port into the water passages for a second temperature sending unit. That's all gonna depend on your engine and intake or they do make thermostat housings with a port in them that you could use too.

So is that a Falcon dash or did you just take the eyebrow supports off and smooth it out? Looks nice whatever it is.
myfirstcar66 and FTWingRiders like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 PM

I would get the stock gauges working and then add a Rally-Pac for the tach. Unless you’re planning to race and then the larger tach is preferable. I just don’t like the look of the giant tach on the column, but that’s my personal preference. You could also get a Shelby style gauge pod that goes on the dash.

Let’s see some more pictures of your car.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...-1966/p/RP5-V/
myfirstcar66 and FTWingRiders like this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9” rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 AM

Garage
I like the 5 gauge and Rally Pac set-up, could hook up your stock gauges or add whatever you like in their place, and you COULD add a Shelby Gauge pod...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180607_220458954.jpg (308.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1965-GT350-Tribute-11.jpg (93.7 KB, 8 views)
FTWingRiders likes this.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:46 AM

Here's an empty rally pac that I've thought about using.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...RoC0IMQAvD_BwE
Huntingky and FTWingRiders like this.

It just needs some TLC.....Tremendous Loads of Cash
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Grab one of these aftermarket gauge supports and replace your factory gauges with a full complement of gauges to match your existing ones. You could then add the Rally Pac with a tach and AFR gauge.

Huntingky, 2nd 66, BlakeTX and 1 others like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Option #2, which I think would be rather cool... would be to make your own instrument cluster bezel to hold 5 or 6 2-1/2" gauges and place the speedo and tach in a Rally Pac...
Huskinhano and Huntingky like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 AM

Lots of good options discussed here. To the original poster I like the looks of your interior and the no dash pad although I wouldn't want to bounce my head off it.
Huntingky and FTWingRiders like this.

It sucks to get old but at least the expectations are lower. 65 mustang coupe, 306, 10.4 compression, 180cc homeported Chinese heads, funnel web, t5z, 4.56 gears in a 9 inch locker
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Maybe find an original style rally pack to put your gauges on the column and still be able to see the dash?

You could probably find an AFR gauge that would fit in place of that clock and then with the original dash gauges working you should have everything.

If you like the under dash gauges you should be able to run those and the ones in the cluster at the same time. They just need separate wiring and sending units. You'll just need to find a spot for extra oil pressure and temperature sensors.

There are extensions that let you put two oil senders in the same hole on the block, so that'd be easy for the oil gauges. Then you'll just need to find an extra port into the water passages for a second temperature sending unit. That's all gonna depend on your engine and intake or they do make thermostat housings with a port in them that you could use too.

So is that a Falcon dash or did you just take the eyebrow supports off and smooth it out? Looks nice whatever it is.
I hadn't thought of the rally pack.. hmm

Thanks for confirming I could use both sets of gauges, I just hate seeing those two factory ones just sitting there dead..

Its the mustang dash, just smoothed out and painted to match the exterior. This is how I bought the car, the PO did all the hard work, LOL, but once I saw it I liked the dash pad deleted.

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
I would get the stock gauges working and then add a Rally-Pac for the tach. Unless you’re planning to race and then the larger tach is preferable. I just don’t like the look of the giant tach on the column, but that’s my personal preference. You could also get a Shelby style gauge pod that goes on the dash.

Let’s see some more pictures of your car.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...-1966/p/RP5-V/
Thanks for the suggestion! I do like the old school feel of the large tach, tho it does block the factory gauges.

I was lucky to find the the '66 99% done by a 30 year body man for himself who unfortunately needed to sell. Seriously a nut and bolt restomod with everything new. I've done a few minor things, and plan a few more as I can, but it pretty much exactly how I would have built it.

Its a '92 306 roller, .30 over 302, balanced, GT40p all built.

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
I like the 5 gauge and Rally Pac set-up, could hook up your stock gauges or add whatever you like in their place, and you COULD add a Shelby Gauge pod...
Thanks for the pics.. and the Shelby pod is pretty cool. Just something about the 5 gauge in the 66 I like..
myfirstcar66 likes this.

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Option #2, which I think would be rather cool... would be to make your own instrument cluster bezel to hold 5 or 6 2-1/2" gauges and place the speedo and tach in a Rally Pac...
Thats actually a cool idea.. I always like something a little different... Definitely something to think about!!

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbastard View Post
Lots of good options discussed here. To the original poster I like the looks of your interior and the no dash pad although I wouldn't want to bounce my head off it.
Definitely some great ideas to think about.. I've waited 40 years to finally get my early mustang, and am having a blast with it.

HAHA!! No, I wouldn't either!
Quicksilver66 likes this.

Forrest

wicked 66 hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page