Global West Coil Spring Spacer Install - 1965 with GT springs - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Question Global West Coil Spring Spacer Install - 1965 with GT springs

Has anyone installed Global West #2011 , 1/2" Coil Spring Spacers (65-73 Mustang) on a 1965 Mustang?

All things equal, I removed my insulators and added the Coil Spring spacers per Global West tech support. During install the bottom of my Eaton GT coil springs were aligned correctly on the spring perch tabs. Before uncompressing the springs I made sure the spacers were centered below the shock towers. After uncompressing springs everything looked good to go (lower and upper), and also spacers looked centered.

A day later after sitting in the garage it now looks like the coil springs have moved slightly towards the outside of the '65 Mustang and looking up from the bottom of the vehicle it appears there are large gaps between the coil springs and spacers towards inside of vehicle. Also I have an unusual fold on the insulator on the passenger side looking under the shock tower (picture attached showing it with shock tower removed). The coil springs are about 1/8" or less from the edge of the bottom of the coil spring covers.

Are these spacers installed correctly or something very wrong like it appears to me?

floovb, floovb, vwomp, vwomp (sound of a bad tire driving)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 AM

I don't think I would worry too much. The spacer is not fixed in place so it's going to move around. Right now the suspension is fully extented. Once on the ground with weight on it, it's going to be different
kenash likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:26 AM

IMO, your springs look unusually compressed... Are you certain that your car is stock? Wondering if a previous owner may have done the arning drop where the springs would have to have been shorter.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
I don't think I would worry too much. The spacer is not fixed in place so it's going to move around. Right now the suspension is fully extented. Once on the ground with weight on it, it's going to be different
She is on the ground along with pictures taken from ground, which is why I'm worried something is wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieThe69Kid View Post
IMO, your springs look unusually compressed... Are you certain that your car is stock? Wondering if a previous owner may have done the arning drop where the springs would have to have been shorter.
I noticed that too... I bought the Eaton GT coils new along with correct upper and lower control arms (Open tracker upper, MOOG lower, correct perches). As far as I know the front end of body is all stock without an arning drop. I haven't seen evidence of the upper control arm bolts being drilled.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Is there an easy way for checking to see if an arning drop has been performed in the past without evidence of holes being re-drilled?

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:57 AM

I would remove the global west spring spacer. I am not a fan of the those as they do not allow the coil spring to sit in the tabs on the shock tower. That 1/2" thick spacer will raise the car 1" in ride height. Use the thin style insulator and if you need more height you would be better off shimming the spring perch using a couple of quality washers and some longer grade eight bolts. You can shim the perch up to 3/8". Keep in mind a quarter inch shim will raise the car 1/2".
green1965 likes this.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I understand the 1/2" Global West spacers give a 1" lift which is why I installed them, to get a 1" lift and front stance I need. The Eaton GT springs with just standard insulators leaves my front end too low unfortunately.

No interest in shimming the perches here.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenFlow View Post
I understand the 1/2" Global West spacers give a 1" lift which is why I installed them, to get a 1" lift and front stance I need. The Eaton GT springs with just standard insulators leaves my front end too low unfortunately.

No interest in shimming the perches here.
Are the Eaton GT springs a 1" lower spring or stock height? Get a coil spring that is the proper height you want without using that spacer. Shimming the perch is a safer/better way to raise the front over that spacer.

Last edited by cmefly; 09-11-2019 at 05:19 PM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Front coils are:

NPD Item # 5310-12 (COIL SPRING SET, Front, Reproductions by Eaton Detroit Spring, rated at 291 lbs per inch @ 9.00 inch, 1661 lbs load, exact match using Ford blueprints, US-made using SAE 5160 US-made steel, correct rates and loads set the car to the factory spec ride height, There is no better spring available to replace your originals, C5ZZ-5310-E, BROWN STRIPE)

---

Bottom tab on my perches are towards inboard/inside of the vehicle, which I believe is correct.

---

The coil springs were purchased 07/17/2012 and the front end is just way to low (sagged over time not even driving) which is why I tried giving these spacers a shot.

Last edited by EvenFlow; 09-11-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Then simply get a stock height coil spring and no spacer needed.
Huskinhano likes this.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I need GT spring rate that do not horribly sag after 5 years. I might give the Global West 540 springs a shot.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I need GT spring rate that do not horribly sag after 5 years. I might give the Global West 540 springs a shot.
PM sent.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Global West said the spacers are designed for coil springs that sit flat on the top, which Detroit Eatons do not. Additionaly they said they dont like angle of my upper control arms... I see no evidence of a Shelby drop mod on body.

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Global West said the spacers are designed for coil springs that sit flat on the top, which Detroit Eatons do not. Additionaly they said they dont like angle of my upper control arms... I see no evidence of a Shelby drop mod on body.
I have no dog in this fight. Just trying to help. Not familiar with what Detroit "Eaton" does,
I just know they weren't the OE supplier on Mustang. I have an original set of GT front springs
but can't recall if the top were closed end ground flat / open end bottom or what.
(I'm not home, otherwise I'd look at them)

As for the Global West S-23 springs I don't think they were ground flat at the top......
It's interesting that the spring spacer they recommend works best with a flat top spring.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

* I verified I have a large hole in the center of the upper control arm bolt holes, on the unibody, so its safe to say I do NOT have an arning/Shelby drop causing the front-end to ride low.

* I verified the spindles are C5DA-3108B/3107B and correct, just so I'm not chasing another problem.
*Upper control arms are 65/66 OpenTracker (reworked Scott Drake).
*Perches have coil locator on the inside and are stock 65/66 replacements.
*Lower control arms are MOOG-K8035 correct for a 65/66.

Rear leaf springs are Eaton Detroit ML-1025 (Special, GT, Competition correct for 65/66 GT convertible) and I'm running ~25.98" diameter tires (215/65R15) giving me a rear ride height of approx 26" (measured from center of rear wheel well directly over center of wheel). That 26" is reasonable comparing to proper HiPo ride height charts with a 26" diameter tire.

Front was riding approx 24" without spacers and as mentioned the Eaton Detroit springs sagged at least 1-1/2" over 5 years.

I just pulled the Eaton MC1252 (NPD part #5310-12) and they are not flat on the top side, but nothing extreme with the rounded end sticking that much higher. They measure about 15" O.A.L. unsprung.

A set of Scott Drake "GT" (C5ZZ-5310-E) coil springs measures slightly under 14-1/2" O.A.L. unsprung for comparison to the Eaton Detroit MC1252's... Brand new Scott Drake springs ride even lower than the used Eaton Detroit "GT" springs out of the box so they're out as a fix. For me they were a waste of time and money as a solution.

I want a set of front coil springs that will get me in the range of the original GT ride height when adding the additional height of my tires, without sagging 2"+ in 5 years and 4k miles.

Original front HiPo ride height with 6.95 tires (25.1 diameter)
Min: 25-7/64"
Normal: 25-19/32"
Max: 26-19/64"

Consider I'm 26" diameter tires (1/2" higher off the ground than original 6.95) even getting to the above range would be much better than where I'm presently at (24" without spacer).

Last edited by EvenFlow; 09-12-2019 at 12:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in