Engine swap on a 67 Mustang Coupe I6 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine swap on a 67 Mustang Coupe I6

I have been on the forums with engine trouble on my 67 coupe I6. I debated swapping out for a V8, but that is too big of a project right now for me. From the advice I have gotten, I have two choices, rebuild the engine I have to try to figure out the problems I am having, low compression on cylinder #3 and oil blow back or buy another I6 engine and drop it in.

After some research I found, what I think is a matching engine to drop in. It is only $350 and looks in good shape, form the outside. i know that does not mean much
I have a few questions ?

1. I have a 67 coupe I6 (engine #C6DE). The purchased engine is from a 65 Mustang (engine #C5DE). Will this fit with my 3 speed transmission ?
2. The purchased engine is out the car. The seller says it runs and is in good shape. What can I do to inspect the engine before I buy it ?
3. I read that there are two different bolt patterns for the 60's mustangs. 8.5" and 9". How do I confirm this and does it matter, can a converter be used

Attached are some pics of both engine.
The clean engine on the stand is the one I am looking to purchase
The other one, in the car is my engine with issues

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 8.58.54 AM.png (1.16 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 8.58.40 AM.jpg (435.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.01.05 AM.png (1.30 MB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.01.33 AM.png (1,016.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.01.20 AM.png (1.47 MB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.00.58 AM.png (1.27 MB, 4 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 8.58.34 AM.png (1.14 MB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
You're SOL. From the photo's I can see that you have the 9" spacing (the top bellhousing bolts are near the cylinder head parting line). The block you are thinking of purchasing is an 8.5" spacing. A pix below shows the "dual pattern" block, which you probably have in the car, and the location of the upper bolts. Your existing bellhousing will not fit and, most likely, neither will the flywheel and clutch assembly. While the motor you're looking at is a 7 main bearing block, it's also an early one with a road draught tube for crankcase ventilation instead of a PCV system and if it has never been rebuilt it's most likely full of sludge.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:57 AM

Looking at the pictures, it does look like your block has the dual bolt pattern(try to get a pic of the back of yours) while the other one is the single bolt pattern. From the pictures it looks like your bellhousing uses the later bolt pattern...which means that earlier engine will NOT bolt up to your transmission(notice in the pictures of the 65 engine the bolt holes are several inches from the deck while your bell is bolted up right below the deck)...on a side note...your bellhousing WOULD bolt up to a v8. Too bad you aren't closer, then you could take my dual pattern I6 that came out of my car off my hands. One place you can try is search-tempest.com. Its a craigslist search engine that goes by distance...lets you easily search craigslist over the entire nation or just within x miles. Another thing to consider...you could always upgrade to a 250CI I6...not sure what is involved, but those engines are pretty common, being used in Ford trucks all the way into the 80s

Too bad you couldnt pick this up...its the holy grail for I6 guys:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-1-L-...QAAOSwblVddUKa

Last edited by wicked93gs; 09-12-2019 at 11:04 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Looking at the pictures, it does look like your block has the dual bolt pattern(try to get a pic of the back of yours) while the other one is the single bolt pattern. From the pictures it looks like your bellhousing uses the later bolt pattern...which means that earlier engine will NOT bolt up to your transmission(notice in the pictures of the 65 engine the bolt holes are several inches from the deck while your bell is bolted up right below the deck)...on a side note...your bellhousing WOULD bolt up to a v8. Too bad you aren't closer, then you could take my dual pattern I6 that came out of my car off my hands. One place you can try is search-tempest.com. Its a craigslist search engine that goes by distance...lets you easily search craigslist over the entire nation or just within x miles. Another thing to consider...you could always upgrade to a 250CI I6...not sure what is involved, but those engines are pretty common, being used in Ford trucks all the way into the 80s

Too bad you couldnt pick this up...its the holy grail for I6 guys:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-1-L-...QAAOSwblVddUKa
No, the bellhousing will NOT bolt up to a V8. It is only the very late sixes with the low-mount starter that have "2/3" of a small block bellhousing pattern. Also, 250's in trucks, other than the >'77 Bronco are relatively rare....most came with either the 240 or 300 "big" six.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
No, the bellhousing will NOT bolt up to a V8. It is only the very late sixes with the low-mount starter that have "2/3" of a small block bellhousing pattern. Also, 250's in trucks, other than the >'77 Bronco are relatively rare....most came with either the 240 or 300 "big" six.
Ah, I stand corrected. The 250 did come in a variety of Ford cars into the early 70s at least though correct?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked93gs View Post
Ah, I stand corrected. The 250 did come in a variety of Ford cars into the early 70s at least though correct?
Typically compact and intermediates... Fairlane/Torino, Maverick/Comet, Granada/Monarch and Fox-bodies.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page