66 Fastback Power Assist Steering, Any good when fresh? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By image98
  • 1 Post By subpar63

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

66 Fastback Power Assist Steering, Any good when fresh?

Hello all,

I'm working on my 66 fastback project which has the original power assist steering pump, control valve, and ram setup.
This system is tired and starting to develop some leaks that need attention.

My options are:
1. Rebuild the system
2. Move to manual steering
3. Install a "real" power steering box (Borgeson or others)
With the goal of keeping this car period correct, options 1 or 2 are most desirable.

My question to the forum members:

Does anyone have good experience with the stock power assist setup when it is fresh and setup properly especially in a period performance oriented car?
Looking for experience from someone with this setup in a in well sorted car (tight ball joints, idler arm, alignment with 3+ degrees of castor, good steering box)
How much slop does the control valve add?

I'm also looking at reducing the pump pressure with a Heidts PS-101 adjustable power steering valve to tune the feel.

Thanks for the help!
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:44 PM

Garage
My Emberglo 66 has Factory power steering and it is extremely easy to drive around even at slow speeds in a parking lot. I have manual 16 to 1 steering in my Tahoe Turquoise 66 and I like the feel of the road but it definitely requires more effort when navigating at low speeds with one hand. I just prefer well maintained original

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:54 PM

I have been through the entire system in my '66 Fastback and it works great. I would recommend taking the components you have and restore them. I couldn't ask for more from my system.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:25 AM

Garage
I have a factory power steering setup on a A code 65 Fastback. We completely rebuilt the power steering (ram, control valve) and the steering effort required is very light even with larger 215 tires up front. I'm told that the factory power steering pumps put out way too much pressure so I like your idea of installing the Heidts pressure regulator if you would like to get a little more road feel. We swapped to a KRC power steering pump. If you would like to keep everything stock, I would recommend upgrading the suspension. We installed the negative wedge kit (Shelby 1" drop), new ball joints, 620 coils, monte carlo bar, single piece export brace, and added a 1" sway-bar. We even swapped out the front drums for stock Kelsey hays disc brakes. The car handles incredibly well and nimble even though everything looks period correct and stock. It feels like a complete different animal on the road. If done right, there should no slop in the steering.
myfirstcar66 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Garage
Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

check out this site. Dan is the man when it comes to factory Ford power steering. I've sent him a setup to be rebuilt and also bought a complete setup from him. Excellent quality and customer service.

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 32 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Although my car is manual, if I had the factory system I wouldn't hesitate to send it to Dan. He did my steering box, talk about quality work
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
+1 - Another happily satisfied Chockostang customer - I sent my factory setup to Dan for a rebuild a few years ago and I can say that having a freshly rebuilt stock system is fantastic. And as a bonus, haven't experienced any leak issues to date.

Keep the factory set-up, send it to Dan for a complete rebuild. You'll be pleasantly surprised. My .02

John
Badbenz94 likes this.

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:52 PM

I own a 1966 GT and just installed the Street or Track suspension minus the coil overs and used the roller idler from Opentracker, along with new inner and outer tie rods and just bought a rebuilt power steering control valve from Chock. While my steering box hasn't been rebuilt yet, the steering is great!! I have about a 1/2" or less of play in my steering wheel. Too Im running 225/45/17 in the front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang.jpg (306.6 KB, 8 views)

1966 Mustang GT A code coup 4 speed Nightmist blue
2001 Jaguar XJR British Racing Green
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's posts. Glad to here this system can yield good results.

Sounds like a rebuild is in order!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:53 PM

Garage
Definitely do the rebuild. I had original power steering in my car and I swapped it out for a Borgeson. It was a bit of a pain. Steering is fine now but if you can keep the original, I would.

Can't believe I'm typing this but when I took my original power steering off, I threw it away. Thought it was no good and no one would have any use for it. One of my many stupid moves before I found this forum and learned a bit.

66 Convertible, GT clone. 289 4V, C4. Springtime yellow with black top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page