Mach 1 Dyno Run - Vintage Mustang Forums
 21Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Mach 1 Dyno Run

I just got my 1970 Mach 1 running last spring. My Mustang club was doing a Dyno Day, so I brought my car just for fun. We had just over ten cars from the club. This is was a wheel dyno, so the numbers weren't that high.

My Mustang won the "Pony Power" award for the highest horsepower from the carbureted car. The numbers don't appear very impressive, but they were much higher than the other cars. Two of the 289-powered cars didn't break 200 HP and won was at 204 HP. The last carb car to go was a '68 GT with a factory 390 and an Edelbrock top end kit. I expected that car to blow me out of the water. Although the torque numbers were higher than my car, the horsepower was well below. (I think he had some tuning issues.)

Here's a link to a video of the run just for fun.

My engine isn't at all tricked out. Here are some details in case you're curious:

- Factory 351 Cleveland short block
- Australian 2V Cleveland heads (iron)
- Custom solid, flat tappet cam from Bullet Cams
- Edelbrock Performer intake
- Summit Racing 600 CFM carb
- Factory distributor calibrated by Dan at Mustang Barn with Petronix III ignition
- Sanderson shorty headers

I don't know much about dyno numbers. I'm posting a copy of the graph and would appreciate comments.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mach_1_Dyno_Run1.jpg (265.6 KB, 48 views)

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html

Last edited by Klutch; 09-14-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:15 PM

Nice. Assuming a 15% drive train loss, you are about 313HP at the engine. I think they where rated at 300HP from the factory and that was high more like 280HP by today's standard I would think. I see a lot of white smoke after the run? What where the stock 289 putting down? I take it like 180 RWHP?

1967 Mustang Convertible, 289-4v, C4, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Mild Cam.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my289 View Post
Nice. Assuming a 15% drive train loss, you are about 313HP at the engine. I think they where rated at 300HP from the factory and that was high more like 280HP by today's standard I would think. I see a lot of white smoke after the run? What where the stock 289 putting down? I take it like 180 RWHP?
My Cleveland has an issue with blowing smoke under high vacuum situations, like letting off after high RPMs or cruising downhill with no throttle. It's not as bad as it used to be. I don't know what's causing it. I had the block bored and I installed new pistons. The engine has just over 2,000 miles on it. Every car, even the brand new Mustangs, blew some smoke after the dyno run.

None of the 289s were completely stock. The first car had an Edelbrock 4bbl carb and aluminum intake. It was around 140 HP. A similar car was at 160 HP. The third 289 had a pretty stout Crane cam as well and it was at 204 HP.

I suspect having my distributor calibrated made a difference. Nobody else had that done. Seems to me the power curves look pretty nice.
Grimbrand likes this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Check your egr valve on the valve cover, make sure your valve cover has a plate under it so it can’t suck in oil under high vacuum. Otherwise valve seals. Possibly an intake gasket. Make the car smoke as bad as you can then pull over and inspect the plugs. See if its localized to one or more cylinders.
Mustang4SF likes this.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrostang View Post
Check your egr valve on the valve cover, make sure your valve cover has a plate under it so it canít suck in oil under high vacuum. Otherwise valve seals. Possibly an intake gasket. Make the car smoke as bad as you can then pull over and inspect the plugs. See if its localized to one or more cylinders.
- There is no oil in the hose which connects the oil cap to the air cleaner

- There is no oil in the PCV valve hose

- Yeah, could be valve seals. They're new, but they are the lame umbrella seals. I should have installed better valve seals. I suspect that's the culprit

- I installed a new, "turkey pan" intake gasket. That seemed to help, but I'm not certain

- I have inspected all the plugs and, strangely, there's no sign of any plug burning any different from the others
dobrostang likes this.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:34 PM

Nice, car sounds healthy.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:00 PM

If you like how it runs - congrats. If you want more power, up the carb to the 750 area and get some quality long tube headers. Also, that intake is not helping.

Again, your car looks and sounds fine to me, but you are leaving 50HP on the table with that intake, carb & header combo - assuming your cam is up to the challenge.
cheapbastard likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I just got my 1970 Mach 1 running last spring. My Mustang club was doing a Dyno Day, so I brought my car just for fun. We had just over ten cars from the club. This is was a wheel dyno, so the numbers weren't that high.

My Mustang won the "Pony Power" award for the highest horsepower from the carbureted car. The numbers don't appear very impressive, but they were much higher than the other cars. Two of the 289-powered cars didn't break 200 HP and won was at 204 HP. The last carb car to go was a '68 GT with a factory 390 and an Edelbrock top end kit. I expected that car to blow me out of the water. Although the torque numbers were higher than my car, the horsepower was well below. (I think he had some tuning issues.)

Here's a link to a video of the run just for fun.

https://youtu.be/5GGozueVAU8

My engine isn't at all tricked out. Here are some details in case you're curious:

- Factory 351 Cleveland short block
- Australian 2V Cleveland heads (iron)
- Custom solid, flat tappet cam from Bullet Cams
- Edelbrock Performer intake
- Summit Racing 600 CFM carb
- Factory distributor calibrated by Dan at Mustang Barn with Petronix III ignition
- Sanderson shorty headers

I don't know much about dyno numbers. I'm posting a copy of the graph and would appreciate comments.

Thanks.
What transmission is in your Mach? I think it was a 4 spd manual?

You're probably pretty solidly in the 300-325 hp range at the flywheel.
My decently built fuel injected 289 did about 210 RWHP on a similar dyno. Or about 260 at the flywheel (C6 auto).

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 09-14-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66kcar View Post
If you like how it runs - congrats. If you want more power, up the carb to the 750 area and get some quality long tube headers. Also, that intake is not helping.

Again, your car looks and sounds fine to me, but you are leaving 50HP on the table with that intake, carb & header combo - assuming your cam is up to the challenge.
I am happy with the way it runs. I thought about a bigger carb, but I live at 6,700 feet above sea level and I think my low-end would suffer.

I am very skeptical swapping the shorties for long tube headers would make any difference.

Yeah, the intake isn't the best, but I have a shaker and if the intake is any higher, the shaker top would stick out way too far above the hood.

The cam is amazing! Those guys at Bullet know their stuff.

Thanks.
kenash and dobrostang like this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
What transmission is in your Mach?
It's a TKO-600.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I am happy with the way it runs.
I wish they would hook up heart monitors to dynos...

You had to be hitting 150 bpm...

Allen
Klutch likes this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:36 PM

Garage
Reading this takes me back to my Dyno moment...never been near a Dyno, yet, I had to determine my engine build. Not too far from my hood is a "go fast" garage with a chassis Dyno, I was very nervous as this engine was one of my handcrafted builds. The tech(s) get the car setup, hookup and stabilized. I stated they should go for 6000 RPM WOT. They get it set up and "punch it" it approximately 2000 Rs. The engine is screaming up to 4K and onto 6K, I'm waiting for the engine to explode! They do this 3 times, each time I'm having a mini stroke, thinking the engine is going explode. Well it didn't, and I was so gratified, my handi-work held together......

How many of you have "been there done that"?
j persons likes this.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I thought about a bigger carb, but I live at 6,700 feet above sea level and I think my low-end would suffer.
I saw this and thought to myself "where the heck does this guy live that he's 400 feet higher up than me?" and then I saw your location and it all made sense Your Mach 1 is beautiful from what I saw in the video--enjoy!

65 Mustang Coupe--363 Stroker, Performer RPM dual quad with two 600 cfm Edelbrock carbs, Astro A5 and 3.89 geared Currie 9".

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 AM

Good looking car. I had a 351C way back that would smoke on decel. I ended up pulling the heads, getting bronze wall valve guides installed, machined for Viton seals, another valve job, and no more smoking. Just a suggestion for the smoking, especially if you have used heads without replacing the valve guides.
Klutch likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:55 AM

Garage
Isn't some smoke on the cycle down normal particularly on carberated engines with a wheel dyno?

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page