Help: Shifter dimensions (MT) - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GypsyR

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Help: Shifter dimensions (MT)

While I do understand the market in regards to vintage cars and supply/demand,I am absolutely appalled at the prices of some parts on the market.

Particularly, manual transmission shift levers. I can't believe It costs $100-$200 every single time for a chromed-steel stick with threads on the end of it. You would think a Chinese company would've found a way to produce this part for less than $35 by now. It would be incredibly easy to die threads in my own metal rod, heat-bend it, hammer the end flat, drill two holes, and paint it.

So that's what i'm going to do. Problem is, I don't currently own or have access to a 1969 mustang manual shifter lever. After checking many websites and the ford factory manual, I have yet to find the dimensions of a factory ford manual transmission shift lever.

My plan is to install a T-5, but go for a factory-look regarding the shifter.

The question:
Does anybody here know where I could find, or have the dimensions for a factory 1969 toploader ford shifter? The below picture would be an example of what i'm looking for, however this is an aftermarket unit not for a ford. Any help would be appreciated, as always!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg shifter_dimensions.jpeg (12.4 KB, 50 views)

Roadkill and Harbor Freight enthusiast
Rust-bucket 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Build thread link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:03 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Interesting. On my to-do list somewhere is a stick for the T5 in my '67. Currently has Pro 5.0 setup, which is a little short. My plan is/was to recycle an old (LONG) three speed conversion shifter for a pickup I have. As long as I don't bend it too much I should be able to preserve the chrome on it. It will be damaged where it attaches of course, but that will be well covered by the boot. I never once considered what the OEM shifter specs might be, my plan was always to make a shifter that suited and fit ME.
Kwaz likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Interesting. On my to-do list somewhere is a stick for the T5 in my '67. Currently has Pro 5.0 setup, which is a little short. My plan is/was to recycle an old (LONG) three speed conversion shifter for a pickup I have. As long as I don't bend it too much I should be able to preserve the chrome on it. It will be damaged where it attaches of course, but that will be well covered by the boot. I never once considered what the OEM shifter specs might be, my plan was always to make a shifter that suited and fit ME.
Unfortunately I have never had a manual car in the family, so I don't know what exactly would fit me in particular. Of course, there's always the "level with the bottom of the steering wheel" approach. In order to find out, I need a shift lever for my soon-to-be-manual car so I can really "feel" what would be comfortable for me. I figured Ford's factory shifter was good enough for almost every buyer at the time of purchase, therefore it should be good enough for me.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:44 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Actually I recall it was a pretty big thing back then to upgrade to a Hurst.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Well, if you could import this into Sketchup or Gimp and know one dimension, such as the distance between mounting holes to properly scale the image, the rest should be a piece of cake....

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
Well, if you could import this into Sketchup or Gimp and know one dimension, such as the distance between mounting holes to properly scale the image, the rest should be a piece of cake....
Hey this is a great idea! Do you know if the original shifter had any bend in the other axis, or is the only bend the one shown in this profile view?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page