Laser temp guns - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Laser temp guns

I have several. Wondering how accurate they are for measuring coolant Temp before I pull the sensor and test it in some hot water. Seem to get around 185-190 on the intake manifold and am wondering if that if within a few degrees of actual coolant temp. Everything is new including the New Vintage cluster.

Any thoughts or comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:00 PM

I have a Fluke I got on Amazon, I use it for powder coating. It was about $80, it's within about 5 to 7 degrees at 400ļ. The more you spend on these things, the better the accuracy. I tested it against a $300 gun that my HVAC guy has.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
I have a Fluke I got on Amazon, I use it for powder coating. It was about $80, it's within about 5 to 7 degrees at 400ļ. The more you spend on these things, the better the accuracy. I tested it against a $300 gun that my HVAC guy has.

Thanks, I have a Fluke and a Harbor Freight and they read the same. More wondering if a reading on the intake manifold or thermostat housing would be close to actual coolant temp.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Garage
I know mine is accurate because I used to have it certified to be in calibration every year. Mine is a Blue Point.

Is there a problem that you are trying to fix? If so what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising68 View Post
I have several. Wondering how accurate they are for measuring coolant Temp before I pull the sensor and test it in some hot water. Seem to get around 185-190 on the intake manifold and am wondering if that if within a few degrees of actual coolant temp. Everything is new including the New Vintage cluster.

Any thoughts or comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E W code 427 Auto 3.50 Green / saddle
1968 Cougar XR-7 R code 428CJ Auto 3.91 T Lock Red / black
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

New temp gauge is way off, like 25-30 degrees. I was going to pull the coolant temp sensor and test it in a pot of water but figured if I could at least quickly confirm how much it is off. Laser says 195 gauge says 225. Car runs great. Temp goes up a bit with AC on and slow traffic. Cluster says 235 but I'm guessing more like 200-205.

I see you have a red 68 XR7. My dad had one when I was 5 or 6 years old. I loved that car. I remember he got hit in the rear tail lights multiple times and those replacements were NOT cheap!

Last edited by cruising68; 09-17-2019 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I have a Fluke and a Harbor Freight and they read the same. More wondering if a reading on the intake manifold or thermostat housing would be close to actual coolant temp.
Have you found a need to adjust the emissivity setting on your HF temp gun?

Thanks.

Rusty

1965 Coupe, Caspian blue, A code 4 speed. Started project fall 1993, hopefully back on the road Spring 2019!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:33 PM

Thermometer reliable and accurate. Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp-Ohm readings 2.JPG (221.1 KB, 7 views)

5R09A 4 Speed GT Built 5/29/65
9T02R 4 Speed SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic

Last edited by Brian Conway; 09-17-2019 at 09:36 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty1161 View Post
Have you found a need to adjust the emissivity setting on your HF temp gun?

Thanks.

Rusty

Don't even know what that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conway View Post
Thermometer reliable and accurate. Brian

Yes but after the thermostat. Probably the same if open and flowing. Think I'll just test my temp sensor and add a resistor if necessary.
[email protected] likes this.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Don't even know what that is .
It’s an adjustment that is used when measuring different types of material. Depending on the characteristics of the base material the ir can return a value that isn’t accurate for the material and conditions under test. To answer the question I use a different setting between al and cast iron or cast steel.

Check this out. https://www.thermoworks.com/emissivity-table

After using a thermal imager for a while and a cheap gun I got a good gun off the truck. I find if I measure a hose or the top of the sender. Depending on where I measure the temp on the manifold it can return different readings. The gun measures the surface temp of what it’s pointed at and necessarily the coolant temp. With some poking around taking measurements and comparing you can do ok with just a gun.
rusty1161 likes this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com

Last edited by vegasloki; 09-18-2019 at 01:12 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 AM

I took a class for CEU'S on infrared use. The field on those hand held guns is a cone. The farther away, the bigger the field it's reading and it only reads the hottest slot, not what the little red dot is on. The other is what @vegasloki said. Different materials, colors and textures reflect infrared back differently. Basically for as many different items all at the same temperature, you could get as many different readings.
vegasloki likes this.

Last edited by Huskinhano; 09-18-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:03 AM

And the cheap guns don't have emissivity adjustments. Factory set they will give lousy results on shiny metal like that polished aluminum radiator. Pointed at painted surfaces they give a pretty accurate reading.

I would point it at the manifold right behind the thermostat. Pointing it at one of the air passages in the manifold won't be as accurate. Unless you have a polished manifold or one that has been jet hot coated silver.

Everybody has to start some place
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 AM

I used my Harbor Freight gun for the first time the other day. I started my '66 for the first time in awhile and it was missing. I have dual exhaust and could hear it coming from the driver's side. I shut it down and checked the temperature on each header on that side; #8 was at least 20-30 degrees lower than the others.

I realize things other than ignition could be the culprit, but I suspected the ignition wire for that cylinder, since I had unplugged it and moved it out of the way several times while working on the brake m/c and booster. I measured the resistance of it and several others with my ohmmeter. "Normal" seemed to be around 90 ohms; that one was 140. I've ordered a new wire set.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:07 AM

In training to use a Fluke IR camera, the instructor told us, "if you're looking at a stainless steel panel and in the image screen, you see a guy holding a IR camera, you're not getting an accurate measurement."

Water and various metals will give funky readings, at times.
vegasloki likes this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose62 View Post
In training to use a Fluke IR camera, the instructor told us, "if you're looking at a stainless steel panel and in the image screen, you see a guy holding a IR camera, you're not getting an accurate measurement."
The imagers are handy but come at a cost. For some applications an IR gun is a better solution. For example if Iím annealing, hardening or doing a weld pre heat on a surface and Iím using the proper gun with adjustments itís a better application for a gun than imager. Same with powder coating. The more complex temp signatures require the imager. I sold my imager a while back as I wasnít using it much but there are many things it can read that the gun doesnít do as well or at all. Iíll probably pick up another imager but this time go with something like a phone based Flir than the Snap On I had before. Fluke has a good one around $500 as well but for what I (and most of us) do the $200 camera add on is probably a better value.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reevescajr View Post
I used my Harbor Freight gun for the first time the other day. I started my '66 for the first time in awhile and it was missing. I have dual exhaust and could hear it coming from the driver's side. I shut it down and checked the temperature on each header on that side; #8 was at least 20-30 degrees lower than the others.

I realize things other than ignition could be the culprit, but I suspected the ignition wire for that cylinder, since I had unplugged it and moved it out of the way several times while working on the brake m/c and booster. I measured the resistance of it and several others with my ohmmeter. "Normal" seemed to be around 90 ohms; that one was 140. I've ordered a new wire set.
Nice detective work there !

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page