Holley sniper return spring - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rhutt
  • 1 Post By rhutt
  • 1 Post By rhutt

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Holley sniper return spring

I recently installed sniper on my 68 and added progressive linkage to fix heavy pedal secondaries opening at same time as primaries. Now the gas pedal wants to stick slightly. Does anyone running the sniper use a return spring and bracket . if so which one will work best . Thanks for advise and pictures of your set up if you have any are appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:08 AM

I just botched together a plate a spring and a couple bolts.. Works well. Had the same issues as yourself.

I may swap to the Lokar cable setup and brackets soon..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 AM

I run a single spring out of the Holley two spring set and fabricated the bracket that attaches to the manifold. I also addressed the throttle problem by fabricating a lever extension. Both solutions can be seen in the attached image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linkage 2.jpg (591.4 KB, 10 views)
Rowdy likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc

Last edited by rhutt; 09-18-2019 at 12:17 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:32 AM

Glad you posted this. I just broke in my motor and have not driven the car but man the pedal is touchy. Just ordered the extension lever and progressive kits. Try breaking in a cam with the Sniper. Really hard to get the RPM to behave with how touchy it is. I managed but it sucked.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:41 AM

Before you install the progressive linkage, try the extended lever without it. I tried the progressive linkage change and never got it to respond like I wanted. I removed it and installed the lever that you see in the picture above and it now feels very similar to the carb setup that I had on the car previously.
Tallguy likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:21 AM

Much like Rhutt I tried the progressive linkage and could never make it work right. I had a friend laser cut me an extension similar to the one he posted as well.

I have found that the holley return spring (on the throttle shaft) needs an extra turn to help fully close the throttle plates.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:13 PM

I never considered increasing the preload on the factory return spring. Good job! I've never had an issue with the throttle sticking, so I installed the spring just like I would do on a carburetor install. In fact, the spring and bracket are from the Holley Street Avenger installation that was replaced by the Sniper.
Rowdy likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM

At the request of ORIGINAL68 in a private message, I am attaching an image to clarify the lever I am referring to and a drawing of the part itself. I could not figure out how to do this in PM. Sorry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Linkage_ex 2t.jpg (620.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg T_extension.jpg (67.2 KB, 3 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page