Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Holley sniper return spring

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rhutt 
#1 ·
I recently installed sniper on my 68 and added progressive linkage to fix heavy pedal secondaries opening at same time as primaries. Now the gas pedal wants to stick slightly. Does anyone running the sniper use a return spring and bracket . if so which one will work best . Thanks for advise and pictures of your set up if you have any are appreciated

#3 · (Edited)
I run a single spring out of the Holley two spring set and fabricated the bracket that attaches to the manifold. I also addressed the throttle problem by fabricating a lever extension. Both solutions can be seen in the attached image.

Attachments

Reactions: Rowdy
#4 ·
Glad you posted this. I just broke in my motor and have not driven the car but man the pedal is touchy. Just ordered the extension lever and progressive kits. Try breaking in a cam with the Sniper. Really hard to get the RPM to behave with how touchy it is. I managed but it sucked.

#5 ·
Before you install the progressive linkage, try the extended lever without it. I tried the progressive linkage change and never got it to respond like I wanted. I removed it and installed the lever that you see in the picture above and it now feels very similar to the carb setup that I had on the car previously.

Reactions: Tallguy
#6 ·
Much like Rhutt I tried the progressive linkage and could never make it work right. I had a friend laser cut me an extension similar to the one he posted as well.

I have found that the holley return spring (on the throttle shaft) needs an extra turn to help fully close the throttle plates.

#7 ·
I never considered increasing the preload on the factory return spring. Good job! I've never had an issue with the throttle sticking, so I installed the spring just like I would do on a carburetor install. In fact, the spring and bracket are from the Holley Street Avenger installation that was replaced by the Sniper.

Reactions: Rowdy
#8 ·
At the request of ORIGINAL68 in a private message, I am attaching an image to clarify the lever I am referring to and a drawing of the part itself. I could not figure out how to do this in PM. Sorry!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.