First time vintage mustang buyer advise - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

I am currently in the process of looking for a 1960’s Mustang in good condition as a weekend cruises please advise me on the in and out of buying a vintage mustang and what a good price
Here one I kind of have my eyes on but concerned I’d be paying too much
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=243243122
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Garage
If you mean the burgundy convertible for $9500, that may be too much for all the work that will hafta be done. They car needs a lot. If you mean the Sauterne Gold or Ivy Gold 66 with 101 pictures for $16,000 that popped up, that may be in the ballpark. You'll almost always pay less from an individual sale than a dealer, unless there's some emotional attachment for you both. I don't see the stats / text on the car's details, but it looks like all it needs is to re-dye or replace the carpet and enjoy !!
Main thing with a Mustang is RUST. Look EVERYWHERE, under, between, inside, through and through...maybe have it inspected by a knowledgeable VMFr in the area, and talk em down a little ! ! Then smile when people honk and wave at you ! !
Grimbrand likes this.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

Last edited by myfirstcar66; 09-18-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:12 AM

Is it v8 or straight 6? Makes a difference in price. But as mentioned, rust rust rust. Avoid it at all cost since gets expensive to repair if you can't fix it yourself
Israel and Fitch like this.

1967 Mustang Convertible, 289-4v, C4, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Mild Cam.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Welcome to the forum!
A very decent looking daily driver, but in 101 photos, there is not a single shot of the engine compartment or underside of the car. This is a Indianapolis dealer and I think it is safe to say that this is probably a Midwest car. I don't believe it is possible to put a value on a car without knowing more about it. Even a shot of the door tag (assuming it is original to the car) would help to determine the trim level and equipment that came from the factory. I'm a bit suspicious of a dealer that wouldn't want to show the condition of the mechanical and structure aspects of the car!
myfirstcar66 likes this.

'66 GT Fastback, 302, Edelbrock Top End, Sniper EFI/Aeromotive, MSD, JBA Headers & 2.5" Exhaust, T5Z, Currie 3.55 Trac-Loc
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Garage
I will say don't be terrified of a little bit of surface rust as some of the components on the undercarriage were not even painted from the factory BUT BEWARE significant rust on floor pans inside and out, the cowl and under dash area, the rockers (and if it's a convertible the torque boxes), the frame rails and rear leaf spring attaching points, the trunk floors and drop-offs, the wheel lips and the rear quarters, and directly behind the front tires, the bottom corners of the front and rear windshield, the inner bottoms of the doors... I could go on.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 AM

Garage
A big question for me is, are you mechanically handy? These old mustangs need a lot of TLC. I have a friend who bought a 66 convert without knowing anything about them other than he wanted one. He is as far from any mechanically ability as I have ever seen. So if you are not mechanically inclined or don't have a lot of very good friends who are, I hope you have deep pockets.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Garage
First off, inspection, inspection, and inspect it again! Do it personally or have someone knowledgeable about Mustangs do it for you. The shady can hide lots of problems, so it is always buyer beware. Since you are knew to vintage Mustangs, take the time to learn where to look for rust.

Common problems are rust, mismatched VIN tags, poor repairs done in the past, and on and on. Not trying to scare you, but one must be aware that buying a vintage Mustang is not the same as buying a typical used car. Age is not a friend to these cars if they are not cared for properly.

The question of how mechanically inclined are you is a good one. Getting a good running car and improving it over time is a great hobby. Buying a rust bucket is very expensive even if you can do a lot of the work. If you have to farm the car out for restoration, even more money and risk involved.

I somewhat knew what I was getting into when I bought my 70 Mach 1. It was described as being rust free, yet there were hidden rust issues. Not as serious as many have found, but a full cowl repair was needed and not something most owners are willing to repair on their own. Fortunately I can and I am doing the work, so it is only the cost of repair panels and paint.

I hope you find a car that meets your expectations without spending too much. Good luck and let us know if you join the club.

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:06 PM

The seller states the VIN and it is a 6 cylinder T code car. $16K is a lot of money for a 6 cylinder car but it looks nice. I'd be highly suspicious that it is all original Ford metal.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Hello everyone
Thank you for all the helpful information to answer bsolo66 questions no I’m not very mechanically incline but I know people that work on cars as a hobby to be honest with all of you I’m spilt in between buying a 60’s mustang coup automatically no opinion on engine or a 80’s corvette manual transmission no opinion on body style I’m sure you guys don’t want to hear that and I’m sorry I didn’t read the whole description be I didn’t realize it’s a inline six cylinder I agree with you that too much money
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Chris H
Hello everyone
Thank you for all the helpful information to answer bsolo66 questions no I’m not very mechanically incline but I know people that work on cars as a hobby to be honest with all of you I’m spilt in between buying a 60’s mustang coup automatically no opinion on engine size I didn’t read the whole description be I didn’t realize it’s a inline six cylinder I agree with you that too much money
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Hi Chris and welcome aboard. My best advice would be to join a Mustang enthusiast group with a presence in your area, make some acquaintances, and find somebody willing to go along with you to do a pre-purchase inspection.

Values are pretty easy to obtain... Hagerty Insurance has a valuation tool on their website. It's determining condition and what potential repairs might be needed that can make it complicated.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 PM

Interesting that they show the inside of the trunk but not a single picture of the engine compartment or under the car.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:29 PM

I think you should start looking at some cars in your area even if you don't intially intend to buy.

It will be good practice. You'll start to know what to bring with you, ex. flashlight, cardboard. maybe even jack and jackstands if you're seriously interested and the owner will let you put it up.

The more cars you look at, the more you will know the real world market in you area. You'll then be able to recognize a good car when you see it and negotiate a fair deal.

And get a book to familiarize yourself with the different years and options. I like the Illustrated Mustang Buyers Guide. It's been in my library for over 20 years and I still use it for reference.

Good Luck
myfirstcar66 likes this.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Hello guys
How do I close/delete my account?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:29 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
How do I close/delete my account?
You can't.
In fact, you now have just 87 days left to purchase a vintage mustang and return here with pics of it or you'll have to wear a pointy hat and go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.
Trikk, Josep, Woodchuck and 1 others like this.

Last edited by 4ocious; 09-21-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page