Distributor for a Cleveland 351 4V 1970 Mach 1 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Distributor for a Cleveland 351 4V 1970 Mach 1

Almost done. We rewired the car with a kit from American Autowire. We had to add a ballast resistor Car fired right up. we broke the ballast resistor trying to mount it to the frame. Tried a new one but it failed. Thought about getting a new distributor that was HEI to eliminate the ballast resistor This car also has a shaker so I want to keep the original air cleaner. So size does matter. What would you guys recommend? Thanks for any help.

Mustangs are Boss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
DurasparkII distributor for a F-series truck with a 400, triggering a Mopar ignition module.
LSG likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:39 PM
Supporting Member

The same distributor fits a 351C, 351M, 400, 429 and 460 so a DSII distributor from any of those engines will work. You can use it to trigger any of the electronic control modules- the Ford/Motorcraft, Mopar, HEI, MSD 6AL or any of the others. Be sure to use a coil like the mid 80's Ford/Motorcraft e-coil that can run on full 12V.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do I find these used?

Mustangs are Boss
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:13 PM
Supporting Member

Sure, you can find lots of used ones or a new one is not terribly expensive.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...401130&jsn=959
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Sure, you can find lots of used ones or a new one is not terribly expensive.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...401130&jsn=959
Will I need anything else besides the mid 80s e-coil? I can use the original ford box and do away with the ballast resistor? My 1970 did not come with a ignition module right? I am new to cars sorry for being dumb.

Mustangs are Boss

Last edited by Mike Stieve; 09-19-2019 at 06:11 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
I have what I believe is a Duraspark distributor (73 Mach 1 Q-code Cleveland) that the previous owner (who I know) removed many years ago for a Unilite. I would be happy to send it to you for the cost of shipping. PM if interested and I can dig it out and take photos. I am near San Antonio. I need to get rid of a few boxes of stuff...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stieve View Post
Will I need anything else besides the mid 80s e-coil? I can use the original ford box and do away with the ballast resistor? My 1970 did not come with a ignition module right? I am new to cars sorry for being dumb.

Mustangs did not have a ballast resistor from the factory, they had a special high resistance wire between the ignition switch and the firewall which is commonly referred to as the Pink Wire because of the color of it's insulation. You need to bypass it if it's still in the car.
Your '70 came with points and a condenser, no ignition module.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:30 PM

Those Chinese, aftermarket HEI distributors are tempting since they're so cheap. But I can't help but think they look ridiculous on a Ford V8.

Yeah, the Duraspark is a good option. Or, you could get a factory Cleveland distributor and run points or an electronic ignition module.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 AM

@Klutch is right! Don't put one of those crappy GM monstrosities on the front of your engine, where it messes with aircleaners, Monte Carlo bars! Just get a good Ford dizzy. Make sure its ignition curve is right, put in a coil with the right resistance (if you're not sure, just read THIS ARTICLE )

Depending on how much you hop it up, and what cam you've got, you may even want to consider points. They deliver a really long, fat, hot spark up to about 5500 RPMs, so unless you're running a hot cam and a lot of other goodies, they make sense. If you're above that, the shorter, but more intense spark of an electronic ignition system, along with the superior dwell at high RPMs really helps. It is true that you will need to check your points once in a while. Maybe every 5-10 oil changes or so. A lot of cars actually run better with points than with electronic ignition, but of course, electronic ignition is basically 'maintenance free' which is nice.

As for 'which is better', I would say that there's not much difference between an HEI and stock Autolite/Motocraft distributor, except that the Ford one fits better and looks more appropriate. The one other exception would be the crummy 'coil in cap' HEI dizzys that tend to have problems. The regular HEI distributors work just fine, too, even if I do hate them. =)

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Garage
nothing beats a stock ford dizzy when its set up correctly

Call Dan at Glazier Nolan and see what he can do

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page