1966 mustang idle issue - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

1966 mustang idle issue

Hello so I have a 1966 mustang that I’m rebuilding an learning as I go. To start off it has a 1969 302 in it. I drained old oil put in new as well as oil filter. New spark plugs, alternator, belts, hoses to radiator, gas
Tank, and fuel filter. I got it to turn over an it stays on for about 5 -10 seconds before dying out it won’t stay idle. What could be stopping it from staying on?? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Lot's of stuff, but the leading possibilities, at least in my humble opinion, would include:

1. Improperly adjust automatic choke.
2. Restriction in the fuel system....usually an internally collapsed rubber fuel line.
3. Defective carburetor, foreign materials inside carburetor float bowl(s) or passages.
4. Defective fuel pump.
Grimbrand likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:04 PM

Garage
Hi, thanks joining in with your problem and Welcome to a great forum.
OK, so it cranks, fires and idles, if only for a very short period?
Based on what you stated.... sounds like a fuel delivery issue. This being the case....
1. Has the carbs been rebuilt, to include a good cleaning internally and externally?
2. Is there a nearby external filter that could be clogged?
3. Have you checked the entrance filter to the carb for being clean?
4. How about the fuel pump? Have you checked that it produces a good fuel stream into a bucket?

Most of the time, when a engine starts, idles then dies shortly thereafter, you should suspect fuel delivery. Fuel delivery begins in the tank with the fuel pickup "sock" or screen, you have a line from the tank to the fuel pump, through the fuel pump to the carb and any filters in-between. Could be the diaphram in the pump is bad and not pumping fuel under minimum pressure to the carb? Could be the fuel bowl has sediment and this sediment has has clogged the idle circuit and others. This is why I ask, if the carb has been rebuilt.
Ponder these comments and get back.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by kenash; 09-19-2019 at 11:07 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

So the carburetor I have no clue An I plan on replacing with a new one so hopefully that will work. I asked a buddy of mine an he said it’s not the fuel pump since the line does drain fully thru when it’s disconnected from the carb as well as the fuel gets to the carb. When pushing down the gas it can some times squirt mists of gas out of it. I replaced the rubber hosing parts when replacing the gas tank so those are fine an I see fuel getting to the filter. The fuel lines are a little risty on outside but it’s definitely getting fuel to it. The carb I’m unsure if it’s working correctly or has been rebuilt it doesn’t look too well so it may be the issue. Also I don’t know how to adjust the timing on the distributor or carb I’m not sure how to do that fully as well as what to set it to, it’s currently on whatever timing it originally had or previous owner had
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:26 PM

Garage
OK, to eliminate the fuel delivery system (tank to the entrance at the carb), remove the fuel connection at the carb and direct into a bucket of some type. Pull the coil lead to the distributor from the coil. Have a helper crank the engine while you hold the line and observe the quality of the fuel stream into the bucket. Is it healthy? Yes, No?
If Yes, this eliminates fuel delivery in simple terms. Next, as you mentioned, suspect a dirty carb and Choke not closing?, as Woodchuck mentioned.

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

So yes I did that as well I didn’t remove the coil tho. I had removed from carb intake line and held over a bucket to see if the gas would pour. It pours when cranking it over an it streams well . I did that when I was trying to empty the old fuel tank some since the original fuel tank plug was stripped. So that’s all good on that end. Unless it’s supposed to stream automatically without turning the engine over? Sorry still learning! Thank you!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojsandoval View Post
So yes I did that as well I didn’t remove the coil tho. I had removed from carb intake line and held over a bucket to see if the gas would pour. It pours when cranking it over an it streams well . I did that when I was trying to empty the old fuel tank some since the original fuel tank plug was stripped. So that’s all good on that end. Unless it’s supposed to stream automatically without turning the engine over? Sorry still learning! Thank you!
Nope, you did good with respect to testing fuel delivery. I would suspect the carb has trash in the bowl. Have you looked in there?

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend that you invest in a Ford shop manual for your car. It'll walk you through repairing things that you're not sure of. The engines are pretty much the same between 66 and 69, 289 vs 302. The carb is probably slightly different between the two model years. Do you have a 2 barrel of 4 barrel carb? The Ford 2100 2 barrel, if that is what you have is easy to rebuild yourself and the rebuild kits are inexpensive. At a minimum you could open it up and inspect the fuel bowl for debris that would restrict the fuel flow.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

It’s a 2 barrel carburetor. I have the for dinner Manuel when I bought the vehicle it came with it so I can check and see if they have the info for rebuilding the carburetor. I was honestly thinking of buying a new one, as well as I didn’t check down it to see if the bowl was dirty I did spray carb cleaner in it! What should I be looking for when I look in it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
It’s a 2 barrel carburetor. I have the for dinner Manuel when I bought the vehicle it came with it so I can check and see if they have the info for rebuilding the carburetor. I was honestly thinking of buying a new one, as well as I didn’t check down it to see if the bowl was dirty I did spray carb cleaner in it! What should I be looking for when I look in it.
You have to remove the (I think six) screws in order to take the top cover off of the carb to inspect the fuel bowl. If you are going to own one of these cars you either have a wad of spare cash to pay someone to fix all the minor issues that will pop up on a 50 y.o. car or you learn to do it yourself. That's where a $30 shop manual comes in handy. They're now on CD. Working on these cars isn't difficult.

What you see looking down the carb while it's on the engine isn't the fuel bowl it's the venture where fuel and air mix and begin to atomize before being sucked into the cylinder prior to compression and detonation.
kenash likes this.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I got new info when lookin at it. My transmission vacuum line that runs to the carb broke off like snapped off. Is there a way to replace rhat or do you have to weld a new on back on? Also will that cause it to not stay on when it starts up? Thank you
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
I got new info when lookin at it. My transmission vacuum line that runs to the carb broke off like snapped off. Is there a way to replace rhat or do you have to weld a new on back on? Also will that cause it to not stay on when it starts up? Thank you
Ok, when ever a vacuum line breaks or is leaking that's not good. You can join the two together with a rubber hose between the two to fix it for the moment. You just don't won't vacuum leaks
Take a pic and let us see what you're are seeing.....

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

okay i was on mobile and couldnt upload pics. im on my pc right now it also wont let me upload pics how do you upload on here? or i can send an email, thank you!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
okay i was on mobile and couldnt upload pics. im on my pc right now it also wont let me upload pics how do you upload on here? or i can send an email, thank you!!
Ok, to upload pics. scroll down to "Go Advanced" and select, then, scroll down to "Manage Attachments".
You will see a "Choose File" select this. Your will then be able to browse your laptop for the appropriate file or "pic" in this case.
TIP: Knowing you will want to upload a pic, I place the pic on my desktop. Much easier than trolling thru files.
Hopefully didn't miss a step.....?

Hope this helps.....

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by kenash; 09-20-2019 at 09:55 PM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

ohhh okay i got it! this is the pictures i have of it up close the hose and the carb where it was plugged in the back. Also could this and a mixture of the timing on carb and distributor be why it wont stay running?? And does any one have a diagram of vacuum hoses are? I want to check if any others are leaking! I have the manual but it doesnt show vacuum lines just electrical wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1147.jpg (529.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1145.jpg (455.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1146.jpg (406.2 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page