Help me go back to points... - Vintage Mustang Forums
 14Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Help me go back to points...

My 66 289 GT came to me three years ago with a Pertronix v1 ignition installed and I'd like to go back to points. Temporarily, just to see how it's done. The previous owner left me with some parts. I've attached a pic, will one of these two work? Is it as simple as removing the electronic one and installing the old one? Is there a resistance wire or some 6 volts somewhere I should look for? I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190919_235408_1569011204937.jpg (335.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190919_235544_1569011227173.jpg (384.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190919_235611_1569011242990.jpg (255.9 KB, 17 views)

1966 GT FB
Emberglo
Pony Interior
Factory Air
Rally Pac
6R09A107XXX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Administrator
Supporting Member

Garage
I put on the Petronix almost 20 years ago with NEVER a problem.
Stan
66conv6, Sed6 and myfirstcar66 like this.

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:11 PM

Garage
I only had one Ignitor fail in 27 years and I replaced it with another one about 21 and a half years ago.
If there's an instruction manual, follow it in reverse. Google an image of the assembled stuff. Otherwise, remove the rotor and the magnetic sleeve, the screws holding down the pickup module will hold down your points. The condenser has one screw that holds it down. Manually turn the engine til the points block rests squarely on a high spot on the hex, set the gap between the points at about .017" (seventeen thousandths). Yes, there is a copper lead about 3 inches long that is screwed from the plate to the body of the distributor.
Sed6 likes this.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:31 PM

The pertronix 1 used the resistance wire, your coil is for use with the resistance wire.
I'd swap points in, just so that you know how to do it ... workshop manual is your friend. Then put the pertronix back in, and the points in the glovebox, so that if the pertronix dies, you can still be mobile.
The pertronix 1 can die if you leave the ignition on.
I'm gunna remove a Mallory Unilite to go back to a factory distributor and points ... a little bit of maintenance, and points will work just as well as the pertronix.
Sed6, Sed6 and myfirstcar66 like this.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:10 PM

Looks like you might be missing the screw for the condenser? I've run Pertronix on everything for the last 30 years with no issues but your a smart man to learn how the points go in and keep them in a bag in the glovebox. When the great magnetic storm hits you can go back to points!
Sed6 likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Yes I want to learn how to install them and then throw them back in the glove box for a rainy (or EMP) day! A couple more questions for everyone.

Sounds like that copper resistance wire is inside my distributor already just waiting for me to look?

So the red 12v from my ignition stays right where it is on the positive coil post?

I've got two sets of points, which is better the one with the hex screw or the one with the felt pad thing on it? Are both complete?

Is one of those condensers going to be better than the other?

Thanks all!

1966 GT FB
Emberglo
Pony Interior
Factory Air
Rally Pac
6R09A107XXX

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:54 PM

I bought a couple of breaker plates from RockAuto so I can swap my tach tester over to different systems on the fly. Two screws and the vac advance and I'm done. Don't even need to set the gap when going to points.

Bob

Contact and business info removed to comply with new management ad rules.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sed6 View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Yes I want to learn how to install them and then throw them back in the glove box for a rainy (or EMP) day! A couple more questions for everyone.

Sounds like that copper resistance wire is inside my distributor already just waiting for me to look?

So the red 12v from my ignition stays right where it is on the positive coil post?

I've got two sets of points, which is better the one with the hex screw or the one with the felt pad thing on it? Are both complete?

Is one of those condensers going to be better than the other?

Thanks all!
The resistance wire is pink and under your dash. Either set of points and condenser will most likely be fine. Yes the pos stays pos.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Success! Thanks everyone! The silver one, a Motorcraft part, fired right up! I set the timing to 6 degrees and took her for a spin. I couldn't tell any difference, just as I hoped! Well she might have gotten a little hotter a little quicker than usual or maybe not. I broke out my shop manual and will study up on dwell and breaker point alignment to fine tune it.

Question, my breaker plate wiggles. I've tightened down all the screws I can find but it seems to pivot several degrees on some off center point on the underside. That's not normal is it?

1966 GT FB
Emberglo
Pony Interior
Factory Air
Rally Pac
6R09A107XXX

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:14 PM

Here's an interesting article that discusses resistors in ignition systems. Why the Resistor in 12V Conversions ? Ferguson Enthusiasts of North America

Basically, it says that in the early days the electric starters sucked up so much current that the engineers wanted to use a 6v coil in the 12v system to ensure there would be a strong enough spark to fire off the engine when starting. Because of this 6v coil, a resistor was needed to cut the voltage back down to 6v after the engine started to prevent the coil from over heating.

If you don't have the pink resistor wire, you can wire in an external ignition resistor to your 12v wire. Use a multi-meter to find out how many volts are actually going to your coil. Also, if you have a 12v coil installed, you will not want to cut the voltage to it.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
... I set the timing to 6 degrees and took her for a spin. I couldn't tell any difference, just as I hoped! Well she might have gotten a little hotter a little quicker than usual or maybe not.
I suggest you advance the timing another 9 degrees. When I ran at 6 degrees (per the shop manual), my exhaust smelled like unburned gasoline and ran a little hot especially at idle. Advancing to 15 degrees did away with the gas smell and it runs cooler.
Blues Power likes this.

Bill

6F07C
Color: Y
Trim: 22
Axle: 6
Trans: 6
Build Date: July 18, 1966

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Success! Thanks everyone! The silver one, a Motorcraft part, fired right up! I set the timing to 6 degrees and took her for a spin. I couldn't tell any difference, just as I hoped! Well she might have gotten a little hotter a little quicker than usual or maybe not. I broke out my shop manual and will study up on dwell and breaker point alignment to fine tune it.

Question, my breaker plate wiggles. I've tightened down all the screws I can find but it seems to pivot several degrees on some off center point on the underside. That's not normal is it?
Generally speaking, a little wobble (vertically) is not a problem. It's usually play in "separators" that facilitate the movement of the plate. As long as the points hold their setting and Dwell (length of time the points are closed) doesn't change.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by kenash; 09-20-2019 at 10:57 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
Generally speaking, a little wobble (vertically) is not a problem. It's usually play in "separators" that facilitate the movement of the plate. As long as the points hold their setting and Dwell (length of time the points are closed) doesn't change.
Mine is lateral wobble, it moves enough to open and close the gap significantly.

1966 GT FB
Emberglo
Pony Interior
Factory Air
Rally Pac
6R09A107XXX

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Mine is lateral wobble, it moves enough to open and close the gap significantly.
Are you sure that's not just the movement of the vaccum and mechanical advance?

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 PM

I literally uninstalled my points and condenser and installed the pertronix and flamethrower on my 66 GT today, saw a definite performance improvement today when i took it out for a test drive
myfirstcar66 likes this.

1966 GT coupe, A code, 289, T5

Last edited by gatsby121; 09-21-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page