Vintage Mustang Forums banner

65 mustang bluetooth radio

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  tmadden 
#1 · (Edited)
i am looking for suggestions on a updated radio that has bluetooth and all that jazz. i have found people saying retrosound is tha best and others saying audiosound and even more saying get oem upgraded. i am thinking about getting a Antique Automobile Radio Inc. radio (http://www.vintageautoradio.com/ind...roduct_id=473&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=67) but can not find many reviews. i do not have a oem radio and am hoping to get input on best sounding, reliability and correct appearance. please let me know what i should get.

#2 · (Edited)
Chishola1, the slickest setup I've seen is simply to upgrade a factory AM (or whatever radio your car came with!) to more modern internals. There are tons of local shops that can do this. After it's done, your actual stock radio, which looks like a boring AM-jammer, can actually play AM, FM, Bluetooth, or, if you hook up the connectors, even MP3s off a thumb drive. Something like 45W per channel, too, with pre-amp outs as well. To change modes, you click the volume knob to 'off' and snap it right back on. So, *click-click* you're in FM. *click-click* you're now in Bluetooth. *click click* you're in MP3 mode. Etc.

The coolest thing is, everything works exactly the way it did when it was original. All of the settings for fader, balance, and even switching tracks can be handled with the original knobs, and no external modifications. All of it's pretty easy once you see how to do it. If you didn't tell someone about the upgrades, aside from it playing in stereo and having more volume, they'd probably never know you did anything.

The only drawback is cost, as the upgrade is about $600 or so, not including new speakers. Just google Aurora Designs and find someone near you that can do the upgrade, as they only sell to authorized dealers. Even at that cost, you're still comparable to any modern head unit with the same features, and even then you wouldn't have one that looked stock. Sound quality on the Aurora Designs upgraded units is phenomenal. Much better than their 'new' competitor units.

I know you don't have a factory radio, but you can usually find a cosmetically sound one that doesn't work for pretty cheap!

#3 ·
I have that particular radio and it's running a DVC 4x10 up front and the same single DVC 6x9 in the rear. It looks good. The bluetooth works well for music.. although it probably needs a mic mounted elsewhere for better phone calls. Plus it looks like the original Am/FM setup. The FM in it sounds great too. Haven't tried AM. Worked well on Power Tour and the 2100 mile drive home.

It is a good option! Especially if the original AM radio is missing.

If thats not the case, I like the option Grimbrand mentioned. Quite a few shops that are doing those conversions. I've even seen a handful pop up on eBay!

#4 ·
I just installed this radio in a 65.

It sounds really good. It isn’t quite as original looking as the one you listed, but the internals are better. The instructions could have been better, but the install was easy enough.

#5 ·
I have a Custom Autosound USA-66 with an auxiliary input connected to a BT receiver in one of my cars, it is out of production I hear, but the new slide bar radios that look like it and have a digital display hidden behind the OE type analog dial are the $h!+. I love the look of the original AM and AM/FM radio.

#6 ·
i am looking for suggestions on a updated radio that has bluetooth and all that jazz.

i do not have a oem radio and am hoping to get input on best sounding, reliability and correct appearance.
Can you be more specific on "all that jazz"? I wanted only a bluetooth receiver (no radio, no CD) to stream music from my phone. I bought a bluetooth receiver that has a class D amp on the board. It is less than $50 (as low at $15) and can be concealed dang near anywhere. Get a non-working OEM to fill the dash hole. It sounds very good, has worked since I installed it 6 months ago, and except for my trunk where I have the receiver and amp some 6x9s and a sub, looks pure stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.