Hagerty Insurance Or Another? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 25Likes

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Hagerty Insurance Or Another?

Just got my 1968 Mustang back on the road. Only have it in primer so I can still drive it while doing the body work. Got a quick quote through Hagerty at my insurance office and they quoted me $162 a year for a value of $10,000. Was wondering if anyone has dealt with them before and how they are? Are there any better companies out there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:42 PM

Search function.
Many threads on this topic.....

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...-2x-price.html

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...ce-review.html

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...insurance.html

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Garage
Ok, In the summer of 2011, myself and members of my car club were getting our Mustangs prepped for the upcoming Grand National being held in Waldorf, Md. and was sponsored by the National Capital Region Mustang Club. A few weeks before, a fellow member experienced a fire in his Mustang's engine compartment. This member contacted his insurance company who happened to be Hagerty. He was given a go ahead to do what he felt was necessary to return his mustang to its former glory. Basically, was told to submit his invoices and he would be reimbursed.
The bottom line, he received a 1st in his class, I happened to receive a 2nd in the same class. I have since chosen Hagerty for my other classic rides too. This is an actual real life experience.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Garage
I had better luck with State Farm classic car insurance.
roogie and Jym5146 like this.

'67 coupe, 390, 4spd.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 11:05 PM

I would not hesitate to use Hagerty, Iíve heard nothing but good things. However I used State Farm, as they insure my other cars and were considerably less expensive. Probably multi policy discount.
1966Stangman and Fitch like this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 AM

Garage
I like the Hagerty Cherished Salvage option, for an additional fee you have the option in case the car is totaled of keeping the car or having it taken away.
1966Stangman likes this.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:24 AM

If you search you will find a long post about my experience with Hagerty after I had my first claim. Bottom line was they were more than fair.

I will continue to use them....currently have both my mustangs with them.

Phil
1966Stangman likes this.

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:53 AM

I have State Farm now, and have for the past 15 years, but will probably be switching when my car is done. The rate is cheaper, but they are very, very strict on how much and where I can drive the car. I would rather pay a little more and not have to stress about whether I'm covered or not if I'm out on a pleasure cruise and hit a deer. My State Farm agent was pretty adamant that the car can only be driven to/from cruises, shows, or parades and that's it. If it got hit or stolen from somewhere like a restaurant or grocery store, they wouldn't cover me.

1965 C-code Coupe - 289 w/ C4. 9" w/ 3.25 LSD, 4 wheel Street or Track discs, GT350 coils w/ Arning drop, 4.5" mideyes, Cal-Tracs.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Supporting Member

20 + years with Hagerty.

1) allowed numerous cross-country trips, no hard milage limit.

2) Paid claims: I had two claims over the years. One collision, my fault. With very little back and forth, they authorized using the highest quality & most accurate replacement parts I wanted, not the "less quality" parts the adjustor was wanting me to use. Also had one engine fire. Hagerty again came thru with the $$$ to restore the engine compartment 100% using the parts "I" wanted, not generic parts which would've lowered the cars value.

3) good to great customer service, they were always glad to help me with policy questions.

Other companies might offer the same level of care, but so far Hagerty has given me zero incentive to switch to someone else.

If I was in the OP's shoes, shopping for the best deal, I'd certainly want to hear from people that had insurance claims settled. How a company treats claims is the true test of their worth as an insurance company.

Z.
JSHarvey, Garth66, tmadden and 1 others like this.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Garage
If you are new to collector car insurance be sure to read and understand the differences between "Agreed Value", "Stated Value" and "Actual Cash Value". Not all insurance is the same.
JSHarvey and vegasloki like this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 01:21 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
I would not hesitate to use Hagerty, Iíve heard nothing but good things. However I used State Farm, as they insure my other cars and were considerably less expensive. Probably multi policy discount.
i used state farm for 34 years. had agreed value coverage for my mustangs and 49 ford.
happened to peruse the rider that came in the mail and could not find the agreed values. (i was thinking about increasing them)

called - was told that SF no longer offered that and had not offered it for some time. my cars would be valued at market rates.

I flipped out. how DARE they drop a piece of coverage like that w/o so much as a note.

they lost me forever. With Haggerty now and quite satisfied.

http://www.nenny.com/allthree-take2.jpg
oops

-jer
(Certified Lunatic - Ask Wife)
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:27 PM

Thumbs up for Hagerty here as well. Two windshield replacements, no questions asked.
One of their requirements when I signed up was "no moving violations for 5 years". I had one speeding ticket (two years prior to buying my Mustang) so I was rejected. My wife told me to write them a letter... so I did. I explained how I could have gone to court and have the penalty reduced, but being self-employed, my time would be better spent working, and I'd be financially better off to pay the fine.
They opened the door and said, "Come on in".
Great company, and the owners are especially fond of Mustangs.
665spd and 1966Stangman like this.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagilto View Post
i used state farm for 34 years. had agreed value coverage for my mustangs and 49 ford.
happened to peruse the rider that came in the mail and could not find the agreed values. (i was thinking about increasing them)

called - was told that SF no longer offered that and had not offered it for some time. my cars would be valued at market rates.

I flipped out. how DARE they drop a piece of coverage like that w/o so much as a note.

they lost me forever. With Haggerty now and quite satisfied.
That sucks. Iíll have to keep and eye out for that. I have a pretty good agent, so I would hope he would give me a heads up. Thanks for letting me know.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Have been with Hagerty for over twenty five years (before that with J.C. Taylor). For me Hagerty is the least restrictive while super on taking care of a claim as well as other services. Met Mr. Hagerty on an elevator in a host hotel at a car meet in Chicago. He is a true car guy. They have all of my collector cars(even a 2002 retro T-Bird and 2019 Mustang GT!) plus two trailers.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 09:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladezo View Post
I had better luck with State Farm classic car insurance.
Have you had a total loss claim yet?

Dave
'68 GTCS
8R01J
C4/PS/PB/AC
2/8/1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page