First Thing You Noticed After You Installed 1" Sway Bar? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 42Likes

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

First Thing You Noticed After You Installed 1" Sway Bar?

I have a '65 2+2 and am trying to get an idea what going to 1" sway bar will be like vs just replacing the bushings and end link rubber.

The bar on there now is 11/16 according to my 1992 Craftsman wrench.

I have a monte carlo bar + export brace installed. The car is a weekend driver and my garage girlfriend .

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0471.jpg (447.6 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:02 PM

I installed it and autocrossed a couple of times before going full gonzo on my front suspension. It makes it feel like you are steering a yacht instead of a ship. A little less lean in the turns and that's a great thing! No downside to the 1" bar. As stated 1,000,000 times, the Shelby-Arning drop is the best thing that can be done to these cars.
Huskinhano, kenash, 2nd 66 and 1 others like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks

Last edited by Nailbender; 10-07-2019 at 08:04 PM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Dimples

Garage
Flatter cornering. As cheap and easy of a swap as it is, try it and find out.
2nd 66 likes this.

The anvil of reality.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:19 PM

Ok. I'll be the Debbie Downer........ a fatter front bar will give you less
lean but it'll still push mightily at the extreme.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Garth66, kenash and gimpystoy like this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 PM

Garage
I did the 1" bar , afterwards I was able to swerve into and out of the passing lane without fear of crashing. Doing the UCA drop and cutting a half loop from my 620's also helped alot

Brad

Last edited by 2nd 66; 10-07-2019 at 09:32 PM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 PM

Garage
To counter the "push", I installed a rear bar. More balanced, now.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:07 AM

Do the Shelby/Arning drop if you haven't done that already. Then you'll definitely notice a difference in how she handles when the entire front end is working together with that 1" bar. And good shocks are a must too! Konis or Bilstiens - I'm running Koni's on mine.
2nd 66 likes this.

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
To counter the "push", I installed a rear bar. More balanced, now.
interesting ,,never tried one on my 66 the majority of what I read says don't it will make the rear get loose at the limit

Brad
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:22 AM

Garage
We have a 65 Fastback that we added 620 coils with Konis, but everything else was factory stock for a C code car. The ride was stiff and handling improved a little with the 620s, but still didn't feel right as the car still leaned through the turns. We added a single piece export brace, monte carlo bar, and subframe connectors, which helped eliminate some flex. We then installed a 1" swaybar alongwith the 1" Shelby drop and it feels like a completely different car with the new geometry. We went on to add a 3/4 rear swaybar and mid eye leaf springs to level the car. It handles much more like a modern car, but still have that vintage feel with the solid rear axle. Each upgrade contributed to improved handling, but I'd say the two single parts that made the most significant and improved changes to the ride would be the Shelby drop and the 1" swaybar. The 620s may be too harsh for some, so cut GT coils (480 I think) could be a nice option. Now I wish we had added torque boxes to strengthen the unibody.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:26 AM

In 2001, I put 600# 1" drop springs on my car, along with a 1" swaybar and some KYB gas-a-just shocks along with the Shelby drop, all at once.

Before, my car drove almost exactly like a powerboat. It leaned far over as it rolled into corners when I pushed things, tires howling as the outer front pitched over onto its sidewall. Long after the car had made the corner, I was still there cranking the wheel, straightening things out. The soft, cushy ride wasn't bad, but the angle of the car in corners left a lot to be desired. It wallowed around like an old sow, if you tried to slalom, and because there was so much weight transfer from side to side, it took forever to finish rocking as you transitioned from one direction to the other.

After the changes, my car's ride was still quite comfortable out on the road or in town. The difference in cornering was nothing short of miraculous. My car doesn't lean appreciably, steering is tighter, and all the marshmallowy wallowing is just gone. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, if I had to choose between the two. No regrets whatsoever, and in every way, it was a vast improvement.

It may be that at the limits of traction, things can happen quickly with the stiffer swaybar. But having daily driven the car for years, in ice, snow, and rain, I never ran into any handling issues that seemed out of place or unpredictable. In fact, I once drove to work 15 miles on solid black ice, when my neighbor's 'new' Camaro literally couldn't even get out of its own parking spot. I did have a wild spinout in rain once doing 75 mph down the freeway, due to a passenger rear tire blowout right after I got the car. But that was BEFORE the changes. I have to say, I think I could've saved things and avoided that heart-racing event with the upgraded front end parts. Thankfully the only damage was minor denting of the rear quarter from the tread hammering my undercarriage.

"No matter what you are, be the best one you can." -Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Grimbrand; 10-08-2019 at 04:30 AM.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 AM

I noticed tighter response to steering inputs at all times, driving easy or driving hard.
ginpunk likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM

One thing to remember, if you cut a coil spring, it actually looses some of its rate. A cut 620 coil spring will be less than 620 in addition to being shorter. Here's a couple of articles on spring rate and how to calculate
https://www.thespringstore.com/sprin...alculator.html
https://www.ridetech.com/info/tech/s...te-calculator/

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
interesting ,,never tried one on my 66 the majority of what I read says don't it will make the rear get loose at the limit
As with everything, it depends on the rest of the combination, namely relative F/R spring stiffness. I ran a small adj. rear bar on my '65, on the softest setting, and it was pretty well balanced. 600# spring / 1" bar front, maybe 165# / 5/8" bar on the rear ?
2nd 66 likes this.

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I've not done the drop yet. Looks like a great mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
Do the Shelby/Arning drop if you haven't done that already. Then you'll definitely notice a difference in how she handles when the entire front end is working together with that 1" bar.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post

I got one I'm not using for my 66. You can have it cheap!
2nd 66 likes this.

66 Convertible, GT clone. 289 4V, C4. Springtime yellow with black top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page