Will a 67 clutch pedal asm work in a 68? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Will a 67 clutch pedal asm work in a 68?

Hi all,

I'm converting the auto in my 68 FB to a 4 speed and need the pedal assembly. I found this for sale for $150 which seems like a good deal. Put it in the blast cabinet, clean it up, paint it, roller bushings, etc.

I have noticed in pictures that the 68 clutch pedal DOES look different, but does that mean the 67 won't fit in a 68? Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pedal Asm1.jpg (345.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Pedal Asm2.jpg (323.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Pedal Asm3.jpg (321.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Pedal Asm4.jpg (336.8 KB, 4 views)

1968 Fastback J Code. Acquired April 2019. Project build with my two sons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 AM

I've never owned a '67 or '68 but there's something different about the '67 and '68 pedals that is related to the fact that the '68 had the collapsible steering column which is larger in diameter than the '67 column. The pedals on the '68 required a larger bend in them to fit around the collapsible column. So it sounds to me like '68 pedals will work in a '67 but '67 pedals won't work in a '68.
rpm likes this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:22 AM

Put in a diaphragm pressure plate, fully hemi-jointed Z-bar setup (see link), and remove that huge, heavy, ugly "assist" spring on the pedal, and you'll love the feel of the clutch.

https://opentrackerracing.com/produc...ts-all/clutch/

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 AM

Here's a '68 listed on ebay, it will show you the difference between the 67/68.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Ford-M...MAAOSwLfRbMTB2

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Garage
Interesting. The main difference I see is in the pedal arm shape. The 68 is straight with a sharp dog leg at the bottom. The 67 has a Z close to the pivot and a small dog leg. Could the pedal arm be modified with the help of a torch? Probably, but since the OP does not own it, best to look for the right one.

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 AM

It appears that the brake pedal is also different on the '67 vs '68
rpm likes this.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
It appears that the brake pedal is also different on the '67 vs '68
Yep, it's that big curve in the '68 brake pedal that clears the large diameter '68 collapsible column that I referenced earlier.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:16 PM

Garage
Yep, OP needs to find a 68 part

Chris (Sussex, WI)

289 w/AFR 165, T-5z, 3.55T-loc, Granada Discs and 6 bolt Moto-Lita Steering Wheel

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the feedback guys! Sounds like this 67 assembly won't work... bummer. I really liked the price point at $150.

Yes I have seen the 68 assembies for sale on eBay but they're all $400-$500. Yikes. So I was hoping the 67 would work.

Do all the 68's have the 'collapsible' steering column? What is different about this compared to the 67?

Thanks!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFinOC View Post
Do all the 68's have the 'collapsible' steering column? What is different about this compared to the 67?

Yes, the collapsible column was a federal requirement for the '68 year model. So were the side marker reflectors/lights.

The portion of the '68 column under the dash has what appears to be a "bellows". That is the part that collapses when the car is involved in a front end collision and the driver is thrown into the steering wheel.

Considering the huge price difference I'd buy the '67 assembly. Heating and bending the clutch pedal arm (if necessary) wouldn't cost me anything more than the price of a little acetylene and oxygen.
rpm likes this.

Last edited by awhtx; 10-09-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

^ Thanks for schooling me up on my steering column. I didn't know that about the 68 model year.

Yeah, the price difference is huge but only because the one in the pics above is so thrashed. The restored 67 assemblies cost as much as a 68 does.

I have no welding experience, nor do I have the equipment you describe. I guess I'm left with waiting this out till I can find a beat-up 68 assembly that I can restore. Ha.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:08 PM

There's a home made tool that the FFCobra.com guys use to realign their brake and clutch pedals. It's called a "Pedal Bender" It's a small hand held device that attaches to the long part of the pedal and it has a screw that you tighten down and the pedal arm can be re aligned to what ever you need. No heat needed. They are usually on loan and they get passed around. Sign up on their list and it should get to you sooner or later. It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes to align the pedals. After you use it, send it to the next guy on the list.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...al-bender.html

Get in touch with Frank in post #8 in the above link. He is in Inland Empire. He will probably do it for you.

John

F-150 SCab daily driver

Last edited by j persons; 10-09-2019 at 02:19 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Well....
I wanted a '68 collapsible column for my '67. So I got one. Despite being told it wouldn't fit I gave it a try anyway. And it fits. I did note that if you tried real hard you could force the brake pedal over enough to almost touch the "bellows" on the column. A little ding on the bellows sorted that out. Later I put bearings on my clutch/brake pedal shafts which removed enough wear slop that the ding probably is no longer necessary.

There's enough variation in these cars that I can't absolutely swear that you can make the same setup work as well for you but I can say it works great for me.

.... it wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out behind the woodshed and gave them a good thrashing.
I have some cars. With a long list of parts on them that if anyone was interested in, they'd ask.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
There's a home made tool that the FFCobra.com guys use to realign their brake and clutch pedals. It's called a "Pedal Bender" It's a small hand held device that attaches to the long part of the pedal and it has a screw that you tighten down and the pedal arm can be re aligned to what ever you need. No heat needed. They are usually on loan and they get passed around. Sign up on their list and it should get to you sooner or later. It only takes about 10 or 15 minutes to align the pedals. After you use it, send it to the next guy on the list.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...al-bender.html

Get in touch with Frank in post #8 in the above link. He is in Inland Empire. He will probably do it for you.
Hi John - I did a FFR build in 2004. It was a Mark II. Had a great time with that project. Kept the car 10 years before selling it. Always wanted a 67 or 68 Fastback and after a couple years (literally) of looking, finally found one. I know Frank Messina well and have even been to his house. He helped me a ton with the wiring. I did use the pedal bender, so getting on the list would be a good idea. Good to see another FFR guy on here... also see that Dan Baab is here too and building a sweet Fastback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Well....
I wanted a '68 collapsible column for my '67. So I got one. Despite being told it wouldn't fit I gave it a try anyway. And it fits. I did note that if you tried real hard you could force the brake pedal over enough to almost touch the "bellows" on the column. A little ding on the bellows sorted that out. Later I put bearings on my clutch/brake pedal shafts which removed enough wear slop that the ding probably is no longer necessary.

There's enough variation in these cars that I can't absolutely swear that you can make the same setup work as well for you but I can say it works great for me.
So if I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like your saying the 67 assembly might fit. I plan on either Mustang Steve's or Drake's roller kit, plus new bearings, so that might give me the room I need. It's a tough call... hard to spend $150 on the idea that it 'might' fit. Ugh...

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:26 PM
Supporting Member

It's just the brake pedal that's the problem right? If so use the brake pedal out of your automatic car and just cut the lower pad to the same size as the manual one.

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page