Lowering/firming a 66 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

66 Coupe front end mavens!
Old posts indicate that 620# springs are too stiff for a daily driver, and that progressive Eibachs or maybe 520#s would be better along w/ dropping the A arm 1” and/or shortening spring length plus a wedge kit. I know this is a beaten subject, but, for this great new forum layout folks ---- What’s the best way to get the front 1”– 2” inches lower, improve handling (I have a big sway bar already), handle bumps, spare my front tires, etc. Suggestions on suppliers/kits would be appreciated. Thanks!

66 Coupe, 351W, C4, 9" Versailles+Auburn

66 Coupe,351W,Al heads/manif,hdrs,C4,9" Versailles,3.25,lim slip,discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:43 PM

I put 620 coils from Mustangs Unlimited on my 65 289 coupe last week and find the the ride is OK. I live in New England and it is my daily driver and the potholes are pretty bad right about now. I already did the shelby mod last year. The front dropped @ 1 1/2 inches.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hottarod
I had already got Shelby coils from Tony Branda so I went the lowering route and cut a full turn off the coils. I also have lowered my upper control arms. A full turn was a bit too much off the coil. I should have maybe only cut 1/2 a coil. I wound up putting the taller poly coil insulators up in there and I'm happy with it now. I also just got 5 leaf mid eye rear springs that I haven't installed yet.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/

Sheila, 1965 289 mustang 2 + 2

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:09 PM
Jay

I've been running them for the last two seasons. My overall impression is that I am not impressed. These springs settle a lot. After a couple months you are down another .75" or so.

I also am not a big fan of progressive rate springs. They have a real wobbly spring feel. They give a lot immediately before they start to dig in and get firm. I have them on my 2000 GT as well but they seem better suited to that car.

I am likely going to switch to the TCP coilover kit. Coilovers rock! Set them where you want... I cancelled my order due to the backlog at TCP but I am reconsidering.

[color:red]VINTAGE MOTORSPORTS[/color]
[color:gray]Backdraft Racing Dealer and Roush Performance Distributor[/color]
Wallingford, CT
www.vintagemotorsports.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:09 AM

I recently emailed eibach and they informed me that the drop springs for old small block fords have been discontinued so unless a local speed shop has some still in stock you might be out of luck.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page