1970 Wiring Diagram - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Im now (finally) putting my wiring in and getting very confused because its not working... :: :: :chainsaw: so I was wondering if anyone reading this has bought a wiring diagram(s) and would like to do me a huge favor and recommend a good Wiring Diagram.. (which company sells a easy to read one for cheap) Thanks A Ton!

Sean K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:00 AM

I found the Osborn electrical assembly manual invaluable when re-installing my wiring. Decent assembly pictures up front and wiring schematics in the back. Costs something like $15 from the usual vendors.

Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral 428 CJ Mach 1 Mustang
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS
2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:30 PM

I also suggest the Osborn Electrical Assembly manuals. Just about all of the Repo places have them (NPD, Dallas Mustang, Virginia Classic, etc.).

"If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no one can !"

1969 Mustang LE600 Sportsroof - Groovy Green
1969 Mustang LE600 Coupe - Flower Power Red
1969 Mustang Sportsroof - Dark Jade
1969 Firebird 350 Conv - Mayfair Maze
1968 Cougar Hertz XR7-G (project)
1959 Oldsmobile Super 88
1963 Jaguar XKE Coupe (project)

[url=http://www.relicrecyclery.com/groovygreen/groovygreen.htm]
[url=http://www.relicrecyclery.com/]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 AM

Hey - if anyone wants a REALLY GOOD and very accurate, color / partially illustrated electrical schematic for the 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, I have one. I got tired of all the [email protected] ones (like Osborn and even the Ford factory ones) that I spent about 15 hours redrawing one out for my own use. However - the rest of you '70 Mach owners might as well benefit from it. It blows everything else available away! It is particular to the 1970 351C, factory tach shaker car (San Diego, CA) but it also includes the wiring for the seat belt and parking brake warnings and the radio connections. Try finding all that for the 1970 Mustang anywhere in this universe.

Unfortunately I've run out of picture posting space on this forum so to get it I'll have to email you a copy of it .... for free! Email me at:[email protected]

Last edited by 70Machboy; 01-21-2013 at 01:02 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
There are some on the internet. Just do a BING search for 1970 Mustang Wiring and select IMAGE.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
There are some on the internet. Just do a BING search for 1970 Mustang Wiring and select IMAGE.
I did the search ... and still: ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON to my AutoCAD schematic. Not even in the same league!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM

Awesome PM sent

70 Mach 1 - 351w/T-56
70 SportsRoof - 302/C4
05 F150 FX4
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 AM

I sure will. I’ll send it to your email, although I have to email a slightly lower resolution because of its size. Keep in mind that my schematic is specific to the 1970 Mach having the 351C with factory tach.

GENERAL COMMENTARY: After much research and the dissecting of my own harness I found that there is a lot a differences even within the same year wiring depending on engine, transmission, a myriad of options (warnings lights like BELTS & BRAKES, factory tach, radio options, etc), manufacturing plant and even what time of the 1970 year the harness was assembled. There is a large variance as to exactly how the circuit board connector is hooked up. Mine actually had two wires reversed on this board from what it was supposed to be according to the diagram for my year Mach and options. But since the input and outputs to the board were also reversed they matched up to the correct circuits – it was just easier for the assembler to do it the way it was because of the way the wires all crossed in front of the board. Thus - some boards may be wired indifferent to Ford’s schematic simply out of assembler convince! Who would ever know – right? …..except someone rebuilding the entire electrical system 42 years later.
I also found several wires that were tucked neatly into my factory harness wrapping but were dead on both ends – connecting to nothing! They might have been for A/C connections that my car didn’t have, being a heater only car.
Some wires like the AM radio power and BELTS warning light were powered through additional “extension wires” tied to the exterior of the harness that feed from the main fuse box and had 3-plug outlets at their ends. The “BELTS” and “BRAKE” feed wires simply plugged into one of these 3-plug outlets via spear connectors. On the ’70 Cougar harnesses these wire feeds are built into the main harness.

There are also at least two special resistance value wires (actually 3) incorporated into the main harness for the ’70 Stang: One is the ignition wire from the tach/ignition switch junction, the other is between the circuit board and another key powered junction that also leads to the ignition switch (refer to my schematic). Many people have cut or spliced into these and really made a mess of things because they are hard tungsten wires that can not be soldered to. That’s why it says on their sheath: “DO NOT CUT”. Mine were butchered by the PO!

Just as a note for those that are planning on restoring their factory harness: If you buy one of those “one assembly fits all aps for that year” harnesses (ie: Painless Wire Harnesses), you will not find it to be just a “plug & play” replacement. Almost every harness may be a bit unique to its own application even within the same year. You really need to trace out every circuit and match them up wire for wire with any aftermarket replacement harness purchase.

P.S. – If you want the actual photo references (A,B, C ..) of the junctions I can email them too.

Last edited by 70Machboy; 02-20-2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: 3 Resistance wires correction
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 AM

70MachBoy, PM sent and also through Hotmail.

'70 Mach 1 351C 4V FMX Dark Ivy Green Metallic w/ white stripe
'67 Mustang convertible 390 4V 4spd Nightmist Blue w/ white top
'65 F100 2wd Marlin Blue Styleside shortbox originally 240 3 spd, currently 390 4V C6
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:06 AM

Hi, I'm putting a 70 Mach 1 together and would like to see your schematic, Thanks
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:47 AM

Got one off ebay years ago. Came laminated and good color printing. Served me well.

1970 mach1.393C stroker, FMX, 3.50 Tru Trak.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...ps49e6c20e.mp4
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Machboy View Post
Hey - if anyone wants a REALLY GOOD and very accurate, color / partially illustrated electrical schematic for the 1970 Mach 1 Mustang, I have one. I got tired of all the [email protected] ones (like Osborn and even the Ford factory ones) that I spent about 15 hours redrawing one out for my own use. However - the rest of you '70 Mach owners might as well benefit from it. It blows everything else available away! It is particular to the 1970 351C, factory tach shaker car (San Diego, CA) but it also includes the wiring for the seat belt and parking brake warnings and the radio connections. Try finding all that for the 1970 Mustang anywhere in this universe.

Unfortunately I've run out of picture posting space on this forum so to get it I'll have to email you a copy of it .... for free! Email me at:[email protected]

Hi I would like see how the wiring lays along the side of the engine both sides and how the horn and sport lights are hung
my name is Darrell brown email address is
[email protected]
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:18 AM

stableboy - send him a PM. Never put your email on a forum post like this, the scammers will be all over that address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page