Installing water shields - Are they really necessary? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

First is it really necessary to install new watershields? Do they really help? If so, what is the best method of adhearing them? I don't anticipate having to get into the rear quarter windows for some time for everything works perfectly so I can go ahead and seal them up.

But I foresee myself tweaking the door innards for quite some time and hope that I could find a way to apply the shields in a manner that I could remove them periodically.

My new shields are black plastic coated on one side and the typical brown paper finish on the other side. Brown paper side faces inwards?

'50 Chevy 1/2......'65 coupe/302/AOD......'68 fb/351c/T5Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:48 AM

Brown paper toward the inner door panels. Moisture gets in the doors, and the paper protects the cardboard panels from warping from the moisture. If you antisipate removing them often, it wouldn't hurt to run without them for a while. A very thick grease would hold them in place temporarily. :winkgrin: Top

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

What's used to hold them in place on a permanent basis?

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:37 AM

Lots of different names for it, i call it monkey sh*t (for lack of knowing the real name). you can pick up a roll of it at a local auto parts store. just unroll and apply it on the door at the perimiter of the water shield. its not a permanent adhesive so removal of the water shield can be done anytime.

Scott
mexicruiser and arbys like this.

=http://mywebpage.netscape.com/ponyexp65/index.html

65VERT, 289, Holley Street Avenger 570, Pertronix, JBA Shortys, Flomaster delta 50's, BW T-10

You learn something new every day. When you think you know everything you probably know nothing.

No Problems Only Solutions
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:41 AM

Craig, I still have the original ones that I took off in my car. The original stuff is a very sticky black goo that you can take off and on and as long as you do it slowly, would come off without a problem. The hardest part is not ripping the paper. I took mine off being careful not to pull in a concentrated area and use my palm instead of my fingers. I would say that after 40 years, the black stuff is still usable.

By the way, nice meeting you yesterday! :highfive:

Oh yeah, I would put them back on... Wash your car and you will get water in the back area without them in place.

The only things I stay true to are my family, my friends and my never ending desire to change my mind. I know alot of people that would love to have that choice and that chain. I am fortunate to have both.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:43 AM

I use Mastic and it is like a roll of sticky rope you can buy at any hardware store it is normally used for roofing joints.

My 68 289 c code coupe 65 Fastback A code 4 speed pony interior with dealer added gt options in the works
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Peter,
Nice meeting you yesterday as well. Like your Benz. When I painted the inner door panels I scraped off all that stuff so I'll probably go out and find new stuff. Thanks for the tips.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 11:47 AM

Strip caulk also works well, it's available at most auto paint stores.
Joe likes this.

'67 Fastback 351c, T-5, 3.70 Trac-lok
'69 Mach 1 project
'71 Boss 351
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I'm not too fond of "tar paper" so I took a cue from about every new car out there and used plastic sheet, trimmed to size. Some new cars use some slick stuff pre formed to fit the openings in the doors that's very flexible. I have seen many that use what seems to be the equivalent of plain old "visqueen" plastic sheet. That's what I use. I stick it on with strip caulk. This makes it removable. You never know when something might break or need adjustment inside the doors. Using strip caulk means you can peel the plastic off and stick it right back when you're done.
I also have Dynamat in my Mustang doors but have it trimmed away from the access/adjustment holes so it will be permanently installed no matter what I need to do inside the door later on.
arbys likes this.

.... it wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out behind the woodshed and gave them a good thrashing.
I have some cars. With a long list of parts on them that if anyone was interested in, they'd ask.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:04 PM

Painting the backside of the new panels should suffice. Some of them now have a masonite backing and lend themselves well to this. Taking a black plastic trash bag and spraying the panel with trim adhesive, etc. and attaching that to the door panel permanently is also good.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:34 PM

An almost exact duplicate of the stuff that Ford used on the water shields is the same compound that is used for early Mustang windshield installation, 3M #08509 "Bedding and Glazing Compound". It never really hardens, just like the original stuff.
myfirstcar66 likes this.

66 Fastback Restomod (342 stroker, T5 12.8 @ 112 mph)
85 GT Hatchback
2008 Bullitt
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

I did find today at my favorite auto store 3M's Strip-Calk# 08578. It's the same stuff you get when you buy a new gas tank installion kit. That black stringy stuff on wax paper. It worked perfectly. Installed the rear quarter window watershields, rear quarter interior panels and the back seat back rest. Just doing that helped toned down the exhaust a lot.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Gone but never forgetten

I agree with yelostang ... they're not that necessary with today's repro panels. I don't have the water shields in my '66, and it's driven daily, rain or shine, and you KNOW how much rain we get in the winter months here.

I did replace the door panels about 2 years ago, though, but only because I was having problems with keeping the vinyl glued to the backs. I attribute that problem, though, to the extreme heat of summer in Sacramento, not the plethera of rain we get in the winter.

VMF Jedi Knight who's spirit will be with us forever.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:13 PM

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Just pulled my door panel off because I have new door handles I want to install. Any new thoughts on this, don’t need a water shield? Paper or plastic? Any new products on the market?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AA39C827-F177-454E-BBBD-7DD03934ADD4_1563495232183.jpg (291.0 KB, 15 views)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Waxed Kraft paper and 3M Bedding/Glazing Compound.
Asm109 and myfirstcar66 like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page