Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1969 Mach 1 Introductory Show Unit

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  9F02R100011 
#1 ·
Greetings: I just obtained the Marti Report for a 1969 Mach 1 that I recently purchased. It shows that this vehicle had a scheduled build date during July of 1968. What is interesting or somewhat confusing is the reason why Ford would have the car tagged as a Mach 1 (63C) and under the options, show that the first of many options is the GT Equipment Group. The report also shows that this car was an Introductory Show Unit. Not too sure what that is all about, other than it might have been ordered by the dealer as a display model. If anyone knows about these "Show Units" and the reason why Ford would show my car as a Mach 1 and a GT, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Seeing that the car was built very early in 69 production, it appears it saw duty as an "Introductory Show Unit". What that entailed exactly I can only guess, perhaps it made the rounds on the show circuit before the car was actually available to the public. As far as the GT Equipment Group option, it's my belief that all Mach 1's had this option, typically it is listed only on the buck tag as mine is. What is unusual is that in your instance it is listed as an option on the Marti. It sounds like a cool find, I also would enjoy pics of the car, and the Marti.

#4 ·
I believe a lot of the Marti reports for early Mach 1s show the GT equipment group.

What color and what size engine does your Mach 1 have? Most of the show units tend to be loaded with options and red.

#5 ·
I read somewhere that the word "Mach I" was not on the trunk lid stripe on the very early Mach I's

#6 ·
manyc said:
I read somewhere that the word "Mach I" was not on the trunk lid stripe on the very early Mach I's
That's correct. You can see that in the factory photo below.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/69-70/69/Mach1-2.jpg

#7 ·
I've seen that factory photo before and man, every time I see it, it looks better and better.

#9 ·
Jeff - Dave Bickler on the CJ registry states he is the original owner and his car did not have the Mach 1 on the decklid stripes. In fact he had the stripe company make one with out the cutouts when he restored his car.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/518000-518999/518573_19_full.jpg

#10 ·
Thanks to all for responding to my question(s) about the car. I'll try to post some pictures when it gets out of the interior shop next week. Not too sure how to add pictures to the listings, but I'll figure it out.
This is an "R" code car, complete with its original shaker assembly,radio, motor, C-6 tranny, rear & body panels. Yes, it is a "red" T5 (blackout hood) car with the 3A black interior. The data plate & Marti Report also shows that it is a Mach 1 (63C) with the 3.50 Traction-Lok.
The Order Type shows it as an INTRODUCTORY SHOW UNIT DSO: 0460 and the Dealer being 58H538 for UNIVERSAL FORD SALES, INC in Rochester, Mn.
The report shows the car with the following options:
GT Equipment Group
C-6 Cruise-O-Matic
Option Axle Ratio
Traction-Lok Diff.
Visability Group
FR70x14 Wide Oval Radial Tires
Sport Deck Rear Seat
Power Steering
Tilt-Away Steering Wheel
Power Ventilation
AM/FM Stereo Radio
Tinted Glass Complete
Deluxe Belts / Warning Light
Chrome Styled Steel Wheels
Front Bumper Guards
** When I took possession of this car, it still had the original 14 inch chrome style wheels, but with the "GT" emblems /centers. The flip gas cap was the running horse type & not the GT style. I figured that a previous owner changed them... But I could be wrong after seeing the picture of the Mach 1 with the GT wheels.
I just received my faxed copy of the Marti report yesterday. When the original arrives next week, I'll send off for the window sticker / invoice and pay them (Marti) to research the car if it seems worthwhile.
Thanks again for all the help.

#11 ·
Does the Vin# on your car end in 17?

The Mach 1 gas cap is correct for your car, not the GT. The GT center caps would be incorrect as well, even though the factory photos shows them.

#13 ·
I used to work at the Chrysler Pre-delivery center in Chicago from 1971 to 1975. From the Mopar perspective, they had what was known as "show car paint job". all that meant was a little more quality prep work, but the cars where not that over and above quality wise. The cars with that code where always going into the Chicago auto show in January.

And, from SAACs records on my 67 GT 350, it is known as "an original showing car". What that meant was it was at the car dealer (Jack Loftus in Hinsdale Il)of the day the 67 Shelbys were introduced to the public.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.