2 ?s - where to get keys cut, how to adjust C4 bands - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

2 ?s - where to get keys cut, how to adjust C4 bands

Like the title says, I've got a couple OE key blanks for my 66 and Home Depot doesn't have the right cartridge to cut them...does anyone have a recommendation near Austin, TX?

Also, I got my tranny flushed and the mechanic accidentally adjusted a bolt on the driver side of the tranny that I assume is the band adjustment. Does anyone have a diagram or instructions on how to adjust this correctly? My Chilton's manual just plain sucks and the factory service manual CD I purchased doesn't work on my Apple computer. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 PM

If the CD is a .pdf file, open it with Preview.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM

try the yellow pages for the key look for a local locksmith or ma and pa hardware store.

I used a local hardware store to cut mine from ford oem blanks.

they actually fought me a little because they make the money off selling the blanks to cut the key, so i told them to just charge me for an unused blank just so i could get my keys cut and leave.
vtgearhead likes this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:21 PM

Does the bolt has a square head and have a lock nut on it? If so, it is the intermediate band adjusting screw. To adjust you will need the following : a torque wrench that clicks when it reaches a preset torque; A square socket that fits the square head of the bolt and a crows foot that will fit the lock nut and also fit the torque wrench.
To adjust first back the lock nut off until there is a lot of space between it and the transmission case. ( Get a new lock nut if you can) Using the torque wrench tighten the screw until the torque wrench clicks at a 10 foot-pound setting. Then back off the screw exactly 1 3/4 turns. Hold the screw from turning and tighten the lock nut to 30-40 foot pounds. My bigest problem has always been keeping the screw from turning while tightening the lock nut.

Oldster.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstar View Post
To adjust you will need the following : a torque wrench that clicks when it reaches a preset torque.
10 inch-pounds. If you use a foot-pound wrench, you'll be calling a tow truck.

Your oil-change people should be paying for professional adjustment of the band they screwed up.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 PM

There's 2 bands. 1 is backed out 1 3/4 turns the other one is 3 turns (I THINK). I'm on vacation and can't check

Cutting keys: I scanned my worn ones. Then I imported the bitmap image into AutoCAD and scaled it correctly. Then I traced the outline replacing what I estimated it tolook like before it was worn. Then I printed it out 1:1 and glued it onto my NOS blanks with 3M #77 spray. Then I took a thin 1" dia. cutting wheel on my Dremmel, put on my trusty 4x eyeglasses and spent 5 minutes grinding. Then I run themon the wire brush wheel on the bench grinder for a few seconds. IGNITION AND TRUNK WORKED FIRST TIME.

Last edited by bryancobb; 07-20-2010 at 11:03 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM

Scanner... $99.00

AutoCAD program... $400.00

3M Spray... $12.00

Dremmel... $89.00

The look on my face when I realized I could go to hardware store and have them cut for $1.99.... Priceless.
1ofAMillion+ and DrHawkeye like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
10 inch-pounds. If you use a foot-pound wrench, you'll be calling a tow truck.

Your oil-change people should be paying for professional adjustment of the band they screwed up.
bigstar is correct, you're wrong. The proper torque value is 10 foot-pounds, not 10 inch-pounds.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myred65 View Post
Scanner... $99.00

3M Spray... $12.00

Dremmel... $89.00

The look on my face when I realized I could go to hardware store and have them cut for $1.99.... Priceless.

Don't forget the bench grinder! This is probably the funniest post I've read today.

I think it calls for 120 in lbs which is 10 ftlbs, or snug is what i've heard before. and the square side is a 3/8s. You don't have to find a square socket. A 12 pt works fine
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM

Took my Ford key blanks to ACE and they were the place! Seeing as I brought my own,
NO CHARGE! Offered the young girl a tip and she wouldn't take it and she added. that I am a regular customer. Keys fit perfect!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM

Just recently had my OEM ford blanks cut for my 65 at my local Ace Hardware and they did not charge me to cut them. They work great!
Jack
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Cost me an equivalent of $1.50 to cut both keys, I bought my keys online for $10 plus shipping from MU, I got my 2 keys and key chain.

2005 Mustang GT - Performance White
Bought new on: 13/07/05
Engine: Stock

Check out my blog - My 1966 Mustang
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myred65 View Post
Scanner... $99.00

3M Spray... $12.00

Dremmel... $89.00

Right! The omission I made was that I already had everything and incorrectly assumed everybody has the exact same stuff Ido! LOL

Then I get to pat myself on the back too instead of PAYING for someone to jump my hurdles for me.

Last edited by bryancobb; 07-21-2010 at 02:28 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM

Home Depot in Cedar Hill, Tx was able to cut my OE blanks for me. In fact, since they weren't selling me blanks, they didnt charge me for the key cut.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:39 PM

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to add a note since apparently times are changing!

I bought original replica keys on ebay that match my one set of good Mustang keys I currently have and took them to Lowe's and of course they didn't have a cartridge for their magical electronic automatic key cutting machine, so they couldn't cut them.

Took them to Ace and they have a big sign that says they won't cut keys you bring in- only those purchased in store. When asked about that policy the employee told me it is due to liability in case they mess up your replacement key- they can't be responsible for damaging something they can't replace. I pressed them on it and asked them to just charge me for whatever blank they wanted and I'm willing to take the chance of them messing up one of my blanks but they said no. I needed to at least have an extra set so I had them cut two new ones (ign and trunk) with blanks they had, and the only one for the trunk that they said would work was one with a black plastic head on it (talk about not looking that part whatsoever), and low and behold that one won't even fit in the lock cylinder. WTF.

Do I need to contact a local locksmith now? Grrr... everything's harder with an old car, even just getting a basic key cut.

1967 Mustang C-code Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page