yea, another rack and pinion question! - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

yea, another rack and pinion question!

hi. i have a 68 coup. 302. automatic. with power steering. and as far as i can tell, original column. after months of reading on here & other sites ive decided to go with tcp manual rack....please spare me the lecture on how comfortable manual steering is. im aware its harder to turn....anyway. im waiting to hear back from mustang depot. so ill ask you guys the same question: what linkage needs to be changed as well along with the power to manual rack? idler? pitman? tie rods ect. also what special tools am i going to need? pullers n such. im trying to get a better idea of total cost. id appreciate any responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 AM

Garage
Hi,
First, I'm running a TC manual rack in my 65. All of the steering linkage, including the steering box, by what ever means. Since you have the steering coupler, the removal should be easier. (had I not gone with a F/R adjustable column, I would have had to cut my OEM could column, but, shouldn't have this issue.)
I like my choice, it's a well built unit.
My advice, choose an alignment shop familiar with our old style suspensions (shims and camber adjusters). The degree of caster will affect steering effort. Wider style tires, will affect steering effort. Use the opportunity, to check all of your other suspension components.
Good luck!....Is Santa delivery this gift? Merry Christmas!

Ken ..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Maryland
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM

The kit should could with everything you need, including new inner and outer tie rods. You will need a pitman arm puller, and some tie rod separators. You can rent a suspension toolkit from any parts store that will have both. Once you break the tie rods loose, and pull the pitman free,it will be just a few bolts to drop the whole system out. I have a follow along here:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ml#post3743176

You will probably have to cut your steering column, and you might have to supply a bearing for the bottom of the column, although my unisteer kit came with a bearing, so I imagine the TCP will as well. While you have everything apart, change your upper and lower controls arms, all of the ball joints, and all of the bushings.

Last edited by ajzride; 12-20-2011 at 10:37 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

thanx 4 the response. great link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page