Cigarette Lighter Wiring - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Cigarette Lighter Wiring

I had a fellow forum member come over today and help me wire up the main harness on car (Thanks Malarson). Only thing we cant seem to get working is the aftermarket cigarette housing and lighter. Only wire I see going to it is the Blue/White 90 degree Plug.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

"Suzie"
Modifications:
5.0, AOD, 6 to 8 Conversion, Frame connectors, Shelby drop, GT valance, roller perches, Borgeson Steering, 04' Wheels, 07' Mustang seats, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstang View Post
I had a fellow forum member come over today and help me wire up the main harness on car (Thanks Malarson). Only thing we cant seem to get working is the aftermarket cigarette housing and lighter. Only wire I see going to it is the Blue/White 90 degree Plug.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
It only takes 1 wire, which should be hot. Check the cigarette lighter fuse.

If you have a test light or a multimeter, check that blue/white wire for 12v. It should be constant 12v (meaning it's there with the key off). The lighter's housing is meant to ground through the housing into dash, make sure it has a clean connection there.

There's a possibility that your aftermarket cig lighter has an isolated housing and uses a ground spade on the back that you'll need to ground. Depends on the lighter.

You need a 12v wire and a ground some way or another. That's all there is to it.

-Matt

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." - Billy Joel, Only The Good Die Young
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 PM
(actually Slim Jr now)

Yup one wire goes to the center with a 90 degree plug. That single blu/whi wire goes to the 20 amp fuse along with the emergency flasher....always powered. Negative is the dash/chassis.

Slim

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Freshly Painted dash, it was only accessory that was not in it so the whole hole area got painted. U think its that simple? I bet it is!

"Suzie"
Modifications:
5.0, AOD, 6 to 8 Conversion, Frame connectors, Shelby drop, GT valance, roller perches, Borgeson Steering, 04' Wheels, 07' Mustang seats, etc
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM

There might also be a spade tab built in to the housing so that that you can connect a ground directly to the housing instead of grounding the housing to the dash. The spade terminal should be right next to the center terminal at the rear of the housing.

'66 Emberglo Coupe
Modifications:
5.0 EFI conversion
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Supporting Member

Garage
Just quit smoking. LOL
Stan
areallifecowboy likes this.

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Just quit smoking. LOL
Stan
GPS man! Need it for my daily driver and to go to car shows!
myfirstcar66 likes this.

"Suzie"
Modifications:
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

I do have the lead off the back of the housing I will try to ground it tomorrow and see what that leads me to

"Suzie"
Modifications:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I'd grab a test light and probe the 90* plug. If you have juice then you either have a bad ground or bad lighter element. (You can probe the inside of the lighter socket too).

If no power, probe both sides of the 20A fuse to see if you have a bad fuse. If power there you have a break in the wire from the fuse box to the lighter. If no power you have a break in the wire from the fuse box back to the headlamp switch.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Garage
Eric, Yep, we had 12 volts at the wire....it's that spade connection on there that we couldn't figure out what hooked to it, it's the ground....

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 32 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I'd grab a test light and probe the 90* plug. If you have juice then you either have a bad ground or bad lighter element. (You can probe the inside of the lighter socket too).

If no power, probe both sides of the 20A fuse to see if you have a bad fuse. If power there you have a break in the wire from the fuse box to the lighter. If no power you have a break in the wire from the fuse box back to the headlamp switch.
I'm replying to this old thread because, well, these are old cars. I've been doing a lot of electrical/wiring work lately: installed Vintage Air and Speedhut gauges. I also got a Black Widow FM transmitter so I can bluetooth music from my phone through the stereo. The transmitter plugs into the lighter. It worked well for about a week and then died. Test of the lighter revealed no power. The fuse was ok so I pulled the dash. I found that when installing the gauges I had removed the ground wire from the lighter so I figured that was it. I attached a ground but still no power so I consulted the forum and came upon this thread. I went back to the fuse block. There was power on the inlet side but not on the output side (I'm not sure of the proper terminology). I removed the fuse again and noticed quite a bit of rust on the fuse holder contacts. I broke out my Harbor Freight dremel clone and burnished the contacts to a bright shine. Put it all back together and now everything works fine.

2016 GT350
1966 Restomod Coupe

Previous Mustangs:
2013 Boss 302
2009 GT500
2006 GT
1987 GT
1979 Indy Pacecar
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:39 PM

Thank you all. So grateful to be able to come in from out in the garage all morning troubleshooting little stuff like this and find new ideas and solutions. Still not getting the car started, but changed strategy to putting on all the "other" stuff I got for my birthday. The cigar lighter and housing is one. Wiper bag, hoses, nozzles, etc. the second. Back out to make the cigar lighter work. Then back in to search on the wiper washer pump issue. "See yous soon"

Thanks again to all you seasoned Mustang gearheads making our lives better!
Bob in Fallston, MD
2015 GT Vert
66 Rustang (for now), but getting nicer each day...

2015 GT 5.0 Vert
66 Project coupe, 289 2bbl, PS, A/C, Pony int, drum/drum, lots of rust underneath , extra wires leading nowhere, all tied together with zip ties! and knockoff thin fenders from early 90s.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:17 PM

Since this thread has already been revived, does anyone know the color of the wire to the cig lighter in a 66 ? My lighter is not connected and I cant find a loose wire anywhere. Thanks

Cliff
1966 Blue Hardtop. 200 CID with 3 Speed Trans
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
Since this thread has already been revived, does anyone know the color of the wire to the cig lighter in a 66 ? My lighter is not connected and I cant find a loose wire anywhere. Thanks
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...5&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Fitch likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezstang View Post
GPS man! Need it for my daily driver and to go to car shows!
Yep, and the phone charger.

My 1st car...
'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •Quick Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories

Older son's 1st car...
'66 Emberglo / Parchment deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Dealer A/C • Console
•Dual Exhaust • Power Steering

Younger son's 1st car...
'66 Nightmist / Blue & white deluxe coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto
•Factory A/C •Console
WAITING FOR RESTORATION

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page