Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Aluminum head for my I6 200

20K views 133 replies 46 participants last post by  Flade 
#1 ·
Well I just ordered a alum head and intake, 264/264 110 lob cam, 1.6 roller tipped rockers and a few other new parts for my I6 200 from Classic Inlines.:pirate: I should have it all in about a month or so. The head with be ported and polished and have larger valves. I will be running a 2100 carb(have ine already) for now and hopefuller get a 4100 down the road. I will post pics when I get it and after install. Between this and the T5 my car should wake up alot.

#2 ·
Sounds nice....wish I could do that kind of upgrading on my I6. How did you like the Weber 32/36 compared to a Autolite 1100? I am trying to figure out what improvements I want to make to my I6 I already have the Clifford split headers but that is about it. I was thinking small cam and Weber carb.

#3 ·
I have already done the DUI distributor and the carter 32/36 carb, Classic Inlines headers with 2" dual exhaust and cold air intake. The Weber was alot smoother and a little more power. The ideal was better also. I think it stills need to be a little leaner. A better cam, distributor and the Weber 32/36 would be nice for alot less money. Give Mike a call at Classic Inlines and can help you out alot.

#4 ·
Hi,
Sounds like a cool setup. So currently you are running the stock head I assume. I'm curious when you put the 2100 on did you feel a big difference over the stock 1100? What size is the 2100 you're running? And lastly What did you do as far as accelerator linkage? Sorry to bombard you with questions but,I got a 2 into 1 spacer recently and I have a shelf full of 2100 cores . I appreciate your feedback.Thanks

#8 ·
Hi,
Sounds like a cool setup. So currently you are running the stock head I assume. I'm curious when you put the 2100 on did you feel a big difference over the stock 1100? What size is the 2100 you're running? And lastly What did you do as far as accelerator linkage? Sorry to bombard you with questions but,I got a 2 into 1 spacer recently and I have a shelf full of 2100 cores . I appreciate your feedback.Thanks
i am goping to use the 2100 on the alum head. I am running a Weber 32/36 carb right now. I just added some round bar to my current linkage. I will post poics of it for you.

#6 ·
Since it's so much easier to gain HP by just dropping in a V8, its a welcome sight to see mods like this. Make sure you post up some photos before, during and after. I guess what you are doing is one of the unusual oddities due to my opening statement?

#7 ·
Since it's so much easier to gain HP by just dropping in a V8, its a welcome sight to see mods like this. Make sure you post up some photos before, during and after. I guess what you are doing is one of the unusual oddities due to my opening statement?
Yeah that is one of the reasons I decieded to keep the I6 instead of switching to a V8. I will spend about the same amount but I think the I6 is cooler. Plus I should still get around 25MPG when I am done. Everyone has a 289, 302 or a stroker engine in there 65-66 Mustang. If I get bored with HP I could always add a turbo or super charger down the road. I will keep everybody posted and pics as a install it.

#10 ·
I have absolutely nothing to add to this post except to say

GO FLYERS!!! :p

So glad hockey is back. Looking forward to Saturday! :)
DO NOT USE THAT LANGUAGE HERE. :cheers:
Glad it is back and I bought my tickets when the Lightning play the Pens in Tampa.

#12 ·
I bought mine straight from DUI but Mike at CLassic Inlines sells them in a package with wires a little cheaper. I did not know he had them until after I bought mine. Very easy to install and made a big diffrence in start up and power.

#13 ·
Post up some before and after pictures, sounds like your before may be about where I am headed. If the budget allows. I have been struggling with the decision to keep the I6 or go V8 right now I want to get the car on the road ASAP and staying with the original motor, transmission and accessories sure will be easier. I would like to have a little more get up and go in my pony though.

#17 ·
This is what I have now DUI, Weber 32/36, Classic Inlines carb hat with cold air intake, and CI headers with a 2" X pipe and exhaust with turbo mufflers.

#15 ·
Cool.

What kind of intake do you plan to run? The reason I ask is that I used to have a hopped up 250 I6 in my 72 Comet GT.

I had the single Holley 4 intake from Clifford, and it was terrible. The number one, and number 6 cyl were always waaaay lean due to the unequal length runners.

I would recommend two, 2bbls or something along that line to even out the fuel distribution, or best yet as fuel injection system with the injectors in each port.

I've always wanted to build a Ford six banger as they can make power, just look what the 4th gen Toyota Supra's make with their little I6.

If I ever do get the time to build one it will be the Ford Aussi version with the aluminum DOHC.

#18 ·
Ugh! You are doing the exact project I was. I ended up having a cracked block. I looked high and low for another good quality block but couldn't find anything. I ended up going the V8 EFI route.

Have fun!

Jason

#21 ·
Yes Classic Inlines makes an adapter for it. The carb hat can come in black powder coat or unfinished. Just go to there site classicinlines.com

#20 ·
My first car was a 65 coupe with the 200 6 cylinder. I wish I would have kept that car.

#24 ·
With the headers it sounds really close to a stock V8. When I drive up most people think I have a V8. I like the cold air intake between looks and I think it helps a little with power.

#25 ·
They have the DUI and they also sale the Duraspark II which are smaller. With the Duraspark you have to have a coil and a box. The DUI is all in one.

#26 ·
Here are a couple more pics of my engine one is after I added the Weber carb. The second is the first way I did the cold air intake. But switching it to the battery side gave it a little better power and smoother.

#27 ·
For what it's worth, I think the cold air intake looks hideous. Not trying to hate, I just want to... "inform" that it's not for everyone. I think cone filters and carbs don't mix.

I do think this would look like a sweet alternative:
Ram Air Box

Not sure if it will physically work with that carb.

Another option would be to make some kind of a shaker!

#29 ·
For what it's worth, I think the cold air intake looks hideous. Not trying to hate, I just want to... "inform" that it's not for everyone. I think cone filters and carbs don't mix.

I do think this would look like a sweet alternative:
Ram Air Box

Not sure if it will physically work with that carb.

Another option would be to make some kind of a shaker!
To each his own but the cars does run better with it over the other filter. It does look out of place i agree. :D Once I have the alum head and intake on it will look a little better with the cold air intake. I may run back to the other side then. It is something I will play with later. I just wanted a way to get the air intake away from some of the heat.

Thanks Brian

#28 ·
This is the first thread I have ever subscribed to- REALLY looking forward to your install experience!

I have the ugly A/C bracket on the passenger side (which needs to be modified to run headers) or I'd already have headers installed.

I've been waiting to see someone who actually has the aluminum headers installed before "taking the plunge" myself. Please, please, please post as many details of the install as you can! :)

Did you actually measure your combustion chambers as recommended by CI? If I order the intake, I was planning on just using the stock values (I have a rebuilt 200 +0.40 ob, but otherwise stock).

Best of luck!

PS- I'm from Harrisburg, PA originally and have brothers who are Flyer and Penguin fans... I fruitlessly pull for my local team- the Stars (hey, at least they're less frustrating than the Cowboys)!

#30 ·
This is the first thread I have ever subscribed to- REALLY looking forward to your install experience!

I have the ugly A/C bracket on the passenger side (which needs to be modified to run headers) or I'd already have headers installed.

I've been waiting to see someone who actually has the aluminum headers installed before "taking the plunge" myself. Please, please, please post as many details of the install as you can! :)

Did you actually measure your combustion chambers as recommended by CI? If I order the intake, I was planning on just using the stock values (I have a rebuilt 200 +0.40 ob, but otherwise stock).

Best of luck!

PS- I'm from Harrisburg, PA originally and have brothers who are Flyer and Penguin fans... I fruitlessly pull for my local team- the Stars (hey, at least they're less frustrating than the Cowboys)!
I will try on keep this up to date as I move forward. I should have all the parts in sometime near the end of Feb. I am having CI do the perfomance head porting and other head work for me. I should be just over 9.1 CR or a little higher when done. I will not be doing anything to the block right now that will be another time. I will need more money.:p I plan on boring it .30 over and fordged pistons. But with the new head ect. and the T5 It should be alot of fun to drive. I am following what another guy did and he got just about 211 HP and about 230 torq to the rear wheels. He did have a 4100 carb not a 2100.

PS I play for my Fire Departments team.

#31 ·
I also have a T-5 installed (and a mild cam), and I can imagine the aluminum head will really wake up the straight six (which really just needs to breathe better)!

289 power from an engine that gets I6 mpg (and is nearly indestructible)! PLUS, you'll have something "different" under the hood!

#32 ·
That is a very cool project. I had a 200 six with a 4 speed in my 65 fastback when I first bought it. The little sixes do get phenomenal gas mileage and are very torquey motors. I can't imagine how the alluminum head,headers, cam,carb and good exhaust would wake one up!

Keep us posted ,I love this project ( I am a sucker for unique motor/trans setups):thumbsup:

Dave

#33 ·
Just an update, I will dyno my car tomorrow:pirate: by a magazine that will be doing a tech article on my install. I will post my results this week. I can't wait to see how much increase in HP and torq I have now with what I have already done. They will also dyno the car after the install of everything. I am still waiting on all my parts and should have them in a few more weeks. I will keep you posted on my progress.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.