c4/c5 Transmission swap questions - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

c4/c5 Transmission swap questions

Years ago when I bought my 66 mustang it had a 3 speed top loader. I bought what i thought was a c4 transmission to put in it. It turns out after actually starting to reassemble my mustang that the transmission is actually a c5.
I appears to be in good condition internally so I'd like to keep and use it.

I know I need the swap the bell housing and torque converter. I also need the input shaft since this c5 is missing it. What else do I need to swap out on the c5 to make it work in my 66?

Also, I know I'll need a 157-tooth flex-plate but do not know if i need a 0 oz or 28 oz. Is there any way I can tell? I still have the old flywheel for the manual transmission mounted to the motor if it'll help.

Last edited by JCarden; 04-10-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Garage
The c5 is not as good a choice as the C4- it was used behind 4 and 6 cyls, so not quite as strong. The C4 will be your easiest and they're cheap to find/build. Maybe sell the 5 and use the $ for a 4. Or, if you're looking for highway gearing or mpg, why not go with an AOD and get the overdrive? I did in a 65 and love it! As far as the flywheel, the weaight is pertaining to the engine, not the trans- so use the one you have on the engine as long as the tooth count is correct. good luck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Little different perspective: I had a C5 behind a 302 with approximately 375 horses at the flywheel for several years. This was my daily driver. I rebuilt it on the back porch with a lot of plastic laid down for cleanliness
I can't recall the specs on the flexplate. I know it was 28oz balance though.

I am putting in an AOD right now. I think I will like it a lot better. I know my 3.89 gears will like it

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
The c5 is not as good a choice as the C4- it was used behind 4 and 6 cyls, so not quite as strong. The C4 will be your easiest and they're cheap to find/build. Maybe sell the 5 and use the $ for a 4. Or, if you're looking for highway gearing or mpg, why not go with an AOD and get the overdrive? I did in a 65 and love it! As far as the flywheel, the weaight is pertaining to the engine, not the trans- so use the one you have on the engine as long as the tooth count is correct. good luck
You must be thinking of the C3. The difference between the C4/C5 is mainly that the C5 has a lockup torque converter function. The case also has some oiling improvements also. Install the valve body, input shaft, and torque converter from a C4 and you will be good to go. Changing those three items does away with the lockup torque converter function.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I found in other post a company called WIT. They list their bellhousing in an manor that im not sure what im getting there are three part number they list with varying sizes based on the torque converter diameter.

Would this be correct for a 66 mustang with a 289?

"Bell Housing, C-4 (302) With 11 3/4" Converter (With Cable Mount Holes) Bolts To Pump"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I don't know. But I do know there's a guy working at WIT who's about the most knowlegeable transmission parts guy I've come across. He works at the Charlotte, NC division. Call and ask. Then you can order what you need from the closest WIT to you. (You have no location at all under your name.)
1-800-940-0197. Either extension 1223 or just ask for "Charlie". During busy times he can be hard to get on the phone, he's a popular guy. Might take a couple of calls to get him.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I gave them a call but unfortunately they didnt have the bell housing i need. I can find them on Ebay, but I think the prices are extraordinarily high.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 10:52 PM

I had a little different ? for you. I have what is supposed to be a 66 C-4 but I am having trouble finding a site to run my#'s and find out what I have. casting #DP7006A and tag # pcw as 289 6e 12b2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 02:55 AM
rpm

Quote:
Bad info on the C5. It is an upgrade over the C4. Main benefit of the C5 is better oiling passages.

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, AOD trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 14" 2015 Brembo 4 piston disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 8 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:01 AM
PetesPonies

Quote:
This isn't really true. First, a C5 can be turned into a C4 rather easily. I have done it twice. Second, for a stockish build, the C5 will operate just fine as is. Some think all C5s have a lock up converter, this is NOT true,but the majority do. So, if you want to run the C5 as is, you could. If you are interested in upgrading it to C4, it can also be done, but you need to spend some money on parts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:39 PM

I had a question about all this c5 shenanigans. I'm installing an 86 302 with a c5. I've read and measured that the c5 is 1" longer than a stock c4
Is this correct and how do I go about finding a trans crossmember and will I have to get a shorter driveshaft, anything helps.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbow View Post
I had a little different ? for you. I have what is supposed to be a 66 C-4 but I am having trouble finding a site to run my#'s and find out what I have. casting #DP7006A and tag # pcw as 289 6e 12b2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1966 C4, 289 V8, May 12, 1966 date, b2 is probably shift/bay number.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in