Radiator; rebuild or buy new one....? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Radiator; rebuild or buy new one....?

Getting ready to bring my '67 coupe, 6cyl, manual trans car out for the season.
Before putting it up last fall I noticed that the radiator had started to develop a few (small) leaks within the core. Was wondering whether I should bring this one to be re-cored or buy a new one from.....? I've called a local rad shop and the owner professes that a new one would not last as long as getting mine overhauled for which he charges $400. It's not a matter of spending the money but I'd like to get the best bang for my buck. If the opinion is to buy a new one, who should I purchase from? I plan to replace the thermostat and flush the system before putting the rad back in. Greatly appreciate any/all advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:37 PM

Garage
I faced same dilemma 3 years ago and same pricing

I called NPD and went with a new USA made radiator from US radiator for $379

perfect fit, well made and good to go

and when I scrapped the old 1980's Modine I got $35 for it

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Supporting Member

Garage
If you aren't going for original, Champion has a great radiator. I've got a 4 row and itt works perfectly.
Stan

From start to finish:
http://s863.photobucket.com/user/asl...?sort=6&page=1
Bay Area Mustang Association
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:02 PM

I bought mine from Laurel Mountain Mustang. It looks very close to an original, and works great.

68 Fastback.
351Windsor, 4sp, 8" 3.40 TracLok
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Power View Post
I faced same dilemma 3 years ago and same pricing. I called NPD and went with a new USA made radiator from US radiator for $379 perfect fit, well made and good to go and when I scrapped the old 1980's Modine I got $35 for it
I found the rad for my vehicle on NPD site but when I called they told me that it wouldn't be a US Rad; it would be a Ready Rad by Vista-Pro which used to be Proliance/Modine. Any feel for the quality versa a US Rad?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:50 AM

It's just a matter of what you want, OEM, or aftermarket. I went with the rebuild for cost of $500. You can get one a lot cheaper aftermarket if that's what you want, but they will not be made with copper and brass as the OEM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzMe View Post
I found the rad for my vehicle on NPD site but when I called they told me that it wouldn't be a US Rad; it would be a Ready Rad by Vista-Pro which used to be Proliance/Modine. Any feel for the quality versa a US Rad?
those are imports I believe mexican. personally I wouldn't use it.
you can get those at any parts house

as stan mentioned try Champion theyre imports too but are solid

of you can pay the piper and go with griffen which are the very top top of the line

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.

Last edited by Blues Power; 04-30-2015 at 09:38 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

67-70 6-cylinder applications are the only applications for-which we do not offer a U.S. Radiator alternative... I'm guessing that our logic on that is that it's rare that a 200 or 250 6-cylinder owner is having cooling "issues" for which an upmarket radiator is either necessary or in-demand. A new Ready-Rad usually does the trick.

Agreed, you can probably acquire the Ready-Rad locally as well.

Rick
NPD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
67-70 6-cylinder applications are the only applications for-which we do not offer a U.S. Radiator alternative... I'm guessing that our logic on that is that it's rare that a 200 or 250 6-cylinder owner is having cooling "issues" for which an upmarket radiator is either necessary or in-demand. A new Ready-Rad usually does the trick.

Agreed, you can probably acquire the Ready-Rad locally as well.
Rick
NPD
Thanks Rick, et al for the helpful info and suggestions on my radiator question. After extensive research and much "churn" I decided to just go with an AUTOZONE unit which is a Spectra Premium rad with lifetime warranty. I believe they are made in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page