FI Tech EFI - Page 8 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 11Likes

post #106 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 11:53 PM

Alright, I have been researching and reading a NUMBER of threads regarding the FiTech EFI conversion.

I see that a few replace their gas tank. My question - is it a MUST to replace the gas tank? And - is it a MUST to replace fuel lines?

FiTech advertises the EFI units and combine with either the command center or external fuel pump. Can a conversion be completed with just these two purchases? (and some labor)

The external fuel pump includes fuel hose, so I assume it is required for use. The command center does not so I assume it uses the original fuel lines.

1966 Mustang Coupe in Pepper Gray w/Black Racing Stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GRAYPONY View Post
Alright, I have been researching and reading a NUMBER of threads regarding the FiTech EFI conversion.

I see that a few replace their gas tank. My question - is it a MUST to replace the gas tank? And - is it a MUST to replace fuel lines?

FiTech advertises the EFI units and combine with either the command center or external fuel pump. Can a conversion be completed with just these two purchases? (and some labor)

The external fuel pump includes fuel hose, so I assume it is required for use. The command center does not so I assume it uses the original fuel lines.
No, you don't have to replace your fuel tank if you use the Command Center. If you have a stock fuel line 5/16 ID then I would replace it with a 3/8" ID, but that is just my opinion. I just replaced my old stock line with a new 3/8" ID line as I'm doing EFI.

The Command Center uses the stock fuel line, and your stock fuel pump to get the gas into the Command Center, and in the Command Center is a high pressure fuel pump to get it to the EFI system.

So to answer your last question, Yes with two purchases you can have EFI. I would still replace the old stock line as it is probably rusty inside.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #108 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:35 AM

Garage
I just bought the FiTech EFI model #30004 Power adder. It is on back order until May 6, 2016.

I at least get the time to put in the new Tanks Inc. tank and run all the SS braided PTFE hose.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #109 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 08:15 AM

I have the 30004 unit on my 408C in a 1970 mach 1..
Running the fuel commander with stock tank and lines with a pro-comp 150gph pump..
1500mi..so far......Not a problem..(with fuel flow) When I put NOS on it down the road I MY have to make a change??
post #110 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 PM

Has anyone with the FI Tech EFI had stalling issues on hard decal/braking, and if so were they able to fix it? I am having this issue with the MSD Atomic and wonder if going to Fi Tech would work better.
post #111 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 PM
fej

There are two pretty serious Autox guys that were sponsored cars I believe that run the FItech setup in SoCal without issues from what I know. Pretty sure they may be doing Optima USCA as well.

Fej

1966 GT Coupe
Not much left original
Trying to do things once
MMI CO / Panhard ~ JRI / Penske ~ Astro A5 ~ FiTech ~ MGW ~ AAW
post #112 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlink96 View Post
Has anyone with the FI Tech EFI had stalling issues on hard decal/braking, and if so were they able to fix it? I am having this issue with the MSD Atomic and wonder if going to Fi Tech would work better.
Is your EFI unit also controlling your timing? I have an MSD distributor and 6AL controlling my timing instead of the FiTech unit, no issues so far with stalling.

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z
post #113 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Is your EFI unit also controlling your timing? I have an MSD distributor and 6AL controlling my timing instead of the FiTech unit, no issues so far with stalling.
The car ran worse when the EFI was controlling timing so we went back to the MSD distributor and 6AL. I haven't read any posts where stalling is a problem with FiTech. MSDs forum is full of issues that don't ever seem to get resolved, including stalling.
post #114 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottlink96 View Post

I'm curious what is your fuel pressure doing when this happens? Is your tank baffled?
post #115 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Using a modified MSD ready to run dis. with the 6AL and the Fitech timing control..
Runs just as good but maybe no better than the old way....ADJ the timing from inside the car is nice..
I have swapped back and forth at least 4 times with the timing control trying to fix different issues...timing control was not the problem..
Car has never stalled going down the road unless I screwed something up....AND I HAVE..
post #116 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
I'm curious what is your fuel pressure doing when this happens? Is your tank baffled?
The fuel pressure is steady throughout at 47. The tank isn't baffled, has an in-tank Aeromotive Phantom 200 electric fuel pump. The stalling happens even with a full tank of gas.
post #117 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:11 PM

Dear friends,
I'm thinking about to buy this EFI system for my '65 with 289. Will opt for the fuel sump thing too.
What about the timing option in the system.
At the moment I'm running the stock distributor with a pertronix and vacuum advance.
Can you give me some advices for new distributors and needed parts (brands and part#'s), that make the swap easy and almost a bolt on.
I live in Switzerland and do not have the option to buy these parts around the corner. so I have to have them ready to play.

Any suggestions are welcome.
I use my Mustang only occasional, but want to have the EFI thing. I don't need the latest state-of-the-art parts. So please give me some ideas for a nearly cheap buy (like Summit oder JEGS, or if needed MSD).

Many thanks in advance
Phil
post #118 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Straight from FiTech that if your happy with your dist controlling timing there is no real advantage in having Fitech unit control timing. That being said if you needs are less than 400 HP I would buy the GoStreet unit and the Command center. This unit doesn't control timing but it's $795 and if you can catch the rebate for $75 That's $720. You just need the Command Center for $395.

Summit, Jegs or Pace

Larry

Larry
post #119 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 06:53 PM

You can install the EFI system first and use your existing distributor and then upgrade to timing control later. Some people get into trouble when they do both at the same time and then can't figure out whether it is the EFI or timing causing the problem. I hope to install a similar system soon and get it running well before going to timing control.
post #120 of 218 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Well I'm having issues now, I have the power adder version. My unit keeps shutting off while I'm driving. It just does a quick flicker, nothing else in the car is losing power. I've tried running the power wires for the unit straight to the battery. I've welded a ground to the rear trunk frame. My battery is new and fully charged and is mounted in the trunk. I'm not running any timing control, or fans (disconnected those to eliminate everything) I wanna pull my hair out lol..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page