351 Windsor in 1965 Fastback - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

351 Windsor in 1965 Fastback

I have a 1965 K code fastback with no engine. My car has the mounting brackets from the original K code engine. I am 20 y/o and would love to just get the car on the road. My dad offered to give me his '69 4v windsor that is rebuilt that he had for his '69 Fastback. The engine does not have mounting brackets and it does not have an intake or carb. What am i looking at having to get to correctly put this engine in my car? Right now, i am confused about motor mounts because of a couple things. The mounting brackets to my shock towers are original HIPO mounting brackets. That are different than any typical 289 brackets i have laying around. But i have been looking online and saw that a lot of parts specifically say pre 11/65 or after 11/65. So does that mean that my car (July 1965) needs special mounting brackets AND motor mounts? What am i looking for? Do i need to remove my HIPO mounting brackets, and purchase regular mounting brackets and mount those to my car for $100.00? And will that be all if its a 65 289 to windsor engine? Or can i order normal motor mounts and put those on my HIPO Brackets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
You could go either-or as long as everything from the frame mounts up is all early or all late. However, I'd probably look into Ron Morris adjustable mounts that will allow you to shift the motor around to optimize shock tower clearance. ronmorrisperformance.com RMP Adjustable Motor Mounts

You'll also need 351W swap headers and probably a modification to your clutch equalizer ("Z") bar for clearance, and you'll need 351W accessory brackets for your alternator to accommodate the extra deck height of the 351W block. Lastly, if your 351W already has a flywheel & clutch set-up and it's a 164-tooth unit, you'll probably need a new bellhousing or a change back to a 157-tooth package. If a new bellhousing is in order, pay attention to the bolt pattern on the transmission as early ones (Toploader) are narrow-spaced (as are, IIRC, the T-10's) and will need a matching bell. Some of the Toploaders are drilled for both patterns, but not all.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 09:29 PM

I would do a search on here. There are members that have a 351w in the 65-66 cars, it is a very tight fit and will not be easy/cheap. I'm not sure on the motor mount issue.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...65-1966-a.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-66-coupe.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-66-coupe.html

-Brett
1968 fastback 351w
1986 Iroc-Z

Last edited by Boom; 12-26-2015 at 09:31 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:43 PM

I've got a 351w in my 65 fastback. I'm using the original 289 mounts, but they are not K code mounts. You will need accessory mounts for a 351. Hood clearance will limit your choice of intake manifolds, but not too seriously. Custom hoods can also help with this issue. Your choices of headers are also limited, but there are still some good options.

I have way more questions for you at this point than answers. What kind of transmission do you have or are planning to run? What about the rear differential? Is it the original? Do you plan on upgrading the gears, axles, or upgrading to posi? What are your plans for the cars usage (cruising, street/strip. drag, autocross)? How much are you willing to modify and/or spend?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:51 PM

OK, if you ever expect to put a K engine in there, you are going to buy a bunch of 351 based stuff that will not be used on the K engine. Remember that. Headers, radiator, clutch linkage, intake manifold just to start with.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 11:10 PM

A lot of good information here, I put a 351w in a 1965 about 3 years ago.

-If you have a clutch, then you will need to modify the Z-Bar or swap it for a 1969 Z-bar.
-The adjustable engine mounts are the way to go.
-Stay away from the Headman swap headers.
-If you only run an alternator (no PS or AC) then picking up an new bracket for that is not very expensive. If you start buying PSU and AC brackets the cost can add up. I would check out
CVF Racing if you go for a full set.
- I have a 1967 Shelby style scoop, which gives me about 3 extra inches. I'm running a Wiend Stealth intake with an Edelbrock carb. I have no spacer and a 3" filter touches the scoop.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 11:11 PM

I put a 351W in my '65 Fastback and the actual mounting of the motor was made easy with the Ron Morris adjustable mounts. They bolted up to the original holes in the frame and to the mount location on the 351. I had some clearance problems with my pan but that was due to my installing a rack and pinion steering. The 351W sounds attractive, but there will be quite a lot of headaches involved in doing it. If your are just going for a driver etc., you would be better served to go with a good 5.0 motor and use a lot parts you already have. The 69 351W is a good motor to sell to someone. The 4V heads are very desirable. A good head guy and make them flow as good as a lot of aftermarket heads. I had hood clearance issues, header clearance issues, radiator size issues and a lot of little "grimblems". I know I created a lot of the problems by my modifying the motor etc., but I got caught up in the project. The rabbit hole kept growing. Good luck Jerry
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
OK, if you ever expect to put a K engine in there, you are going to buy a bunch of 351 based stuff that will not be used on the K engine.
I was wondering if you wouldn't be better off in the long run finding another properly date coded 289 and keeping it a K code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzride View Post
-Stay away from the Headman swap headers.
I used Hedman 1 5/8" swap headers for about 15 years. They gave me no issues except one tube I had to massage for clearance due to a passenger side UCA bolt, and that was only for installation and removal. If I got more creative, I probably could have worked around it. I'm swapping in a 393 and have Hooker 1 3/4" headers now, but haven't installed them yet.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 05:24 AM
Supporting Member

i have put 351W engines in my 65 mustangs. you can used the 65 hipo mounts or the 66 mounts. use the Hooker engine swap headers. use 65-69 289-351 harmonic balancer, water pump , pulleys, brackets. you will need the head adaptor bracket for the alternator tops bolt. use the clutch Z-Bar for a 69 mustang with a 351W and NPD sells it. use a 66 clutch pedal to Z-bar top rod. before you put it in get the heavy duty export brace and monte carlo bar from Scott Drake. you will need stiffer front springs. its an easy easy swap to do and very popular swap. i built a 392W for the 65 i have now and mine is also a K code. a 65 K GT Fastback. i bought it in 1974 after the original owner blode the hipo engine up real good. he didnt want the mustang anymore cause he had a 67 GT500 he put a 427 medium riser in.

supershifter2 < !
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 05:26 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
OK, if you ever expect to put a K engine in there, you are going to buy a bunch of 351 based stuff that will not be used on the K engine. Remember that. Headers, radiator, clutch linkage, intake manifold just to start with.
the only thing that will be different is the harmonic balancer and alternator pulley,. good luck finding a K code engine.

supershifter2 < !
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 AM

I'm assuming from the OP's first post he is wanting the easiest and cheapest path to getting his car running. The 69 351w is that path. He already has the engine and there is less parts needed to make the swap then there is to drop a late model 5.0 engine in. The Z-bar from my 66 worked when I done this swap, all that was NEEDED was the headers and alt. mounting bracket at the head. You don't NEED to upgrade springs, radiator, ect. That may be items you want to upgrade down the road but are not necessary. The limited space is a pain sometimes. My tip is to remove the valve covers and leave the motor bolts out when when working on bolting up the headers, Z-bar and changing spark plugs. You can raise the engine and gain a little extra room when doing this. Good luck.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 10:02 AM

I have a 351W in my 68. The motor mounts are the same as a 302. I would think the same as a 289 as well.

68 Fastback.
351Windsor, 4sp, 8" 3.40 TracLok
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...ld-thread.html
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PairOf66's View Post
I'm assuming from the OP's first post he is wanting the easiest and cheapest path to getting his car running. The 69 351w is that path. He already has the engine and there is less parts needed to make the swap then there is to drop a late model 5.0 engine in. The Z-bar from my 66 worked when I done this swap, all that was NEEDED was the headers and alt. mounting bracket at the head. You don't NEED to upgrade springs, radiator, ect. That may be items you want to upgrade down the road but are not necessary. The limited space is a pain sometimes. My tip is to remove the valve covers and leave the motor bolts out when when working on bolting up the headers, Z-bar and changing spark plugs. You can raise the engine and gain a little extra room when doing this. Good luck.
EXACTLY. I am not worried about parts related to the K code or purchasing 351 parts. Because i know they will never go to waste. If i do ever want to go K code, i will have a use for the parts i have purchased. The engine is already done.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I guess right now what my real question is, is there a difference on the shock towers for motor mount brackets pre 11/65 vs. after 11/65? Or are the brackets just improved after 11/65? And will the motor mounts (What sits on the bracket) sit on pre or post? Or will pre 11/65 brackets only use pre 11/65 motor mounts?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llammanipples View Post
I guess right now what my real question is, is there a difference on the shock towers for motor mount brackets pre 11/65 vs. after 11/65? Or are the brackets just improved after 11/65? And will the motor mounts (What sits on the bracket) sit on pre or post? Or will pre 11/65 brackets only use pre 11/65 motor mounts?
Shock towers did not change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page