Selling cars to Europe? - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 26Likes

post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

The only reason you're eager to sell overseas is for the money; plain and simple. No different than transhippers of exotic animals who sell most of their catch to Japan and South East Asia rather than the US. It's because they are willing to pay over the stated value.

But to me it's the principal; how about if all the 65-66 Shelby's resided in Germany, the Shelby Super Snake 427 got sold to some businessman in Holland, and the 'Green Hornet' to someone in Sweden.

I'd rather they stay in the US; if they want a Classic they can buy a Dynacorn shell - it's cheaper too.

'65 Mustang Coupe A-code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post

I'd rather they stay in the US; if they want a Classic they can buy a Dynacorn shell - it's cheaper too.
The problem with a Dynacorn shell is that there is no Title with it and impossible to get it on the road the legal way in the Netherlands
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
The only reason you're eager to sell overseas is for the money; plain and simple. No different than transhippers of exotic animals who sell most of their catch to Japan and South East Asia rather than the US. It's because they are willing to pay over the stated value.

But to me it's the principal; how about if all the 65-66 Shelby's resided in Germany, the Shelby Super Snake 427 got sold to some businessman in Holland, and the 'Green Hornet' to someone in Sweden.

Yes, I admit that I want to sell my car for more money even if it goes overseas.

These cars are not sold "over" stated value. It's a worldwide market and the values overseas are part of those values.

post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 06:03 PM

My 67 was on Sacramento Craigslist for over a month before I bought it.
No one in the US wanted to buy a very decent white with saddle trim 67 Sprint coupe that had been in the same family since new,so I did.That was a few years ago when our dollar was worth more than the US dollar so I was happy to pay the money.I couldn't have bought anything interesting over here for $7000 at that time but those days are long gone.
As well as putting money in the seller's pocket I have since spent with several US based parts suppliers and will continue to do so as and when I require.
It's fine to talk about not selling overseas on principal but I wonder if the OP and others with the same view would be happy to back it up if they suddenly found themselves in financial trouble and had to choose between an overseas buyer happy to pay the money or a parasitic flipper offering less.
Stevea likes this.

67 Sports Sprint hardtop
67 Fairlane 500 fastback long term project
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I have nothing against overseas people; it's just I hate to see these rare cars overseas. Imagine all the K-codes no longer resided in N. America and you were looking for a K-code? Now instead of paying market value to ship one back; you're going to pay double to get it back.

'65 Mustang Coupe A-code
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:12 PM

In a world wide market, how are you paying double to get it back? The problem is, people in the US are not willing to spend money on one of these rare cars, so they are sold overseas.

67Sprint makes a good point, if you are hard up for money and you have an overseas person wanting your car for say $20000, but because of your principles you will sell it to a US buyer for $15000? I would rather my family get another 5k into it's budget.
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

You're paying double because in Europe the car you sold for $20K is selling for $30K over there; hence why any deal to them is "steal" even if the car is a POS. So you think he's going to sell you the same car for $20K when he has local people willing to pay $30K and over? Not a chance...

It's not a World market; it's localized based on on supply and demand. Cars in CA and NY sell for higher than cars in other states. Cars in Europe sell for higher than cars in other parts of the World.

'65 Mustang Coupe A-code
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:43 PM

Once the market drops in other countries, they will sell them for less.

I'm confused at how it's not a world market? Cars are shipped all over the world from other countries. I guess I don't understand how it's not a world market for collector cars.

I would agree that it's not a world market for sellers only willing to sell to local people, but for those of us willing to sell overseas, then it becomes a world market. I know people who won't sell to anyone not located in the same city lol You can make the market as small as you want or as large as you want. It's each persons choice.
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Because of supply and demand; there's a lot more Mustangs in the US than in Europe. So assume the market price for a Fastback is $20K in the US on average. The market price for a Fastback might be $30-40K.

Ask the Europeans on this forum; they might chime in.

'65 Mustang Coupe A-code
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 06:54 PM

No insult to us "ferriners".. most of us understand that there are xenophobes everywhere... and its a minority.

I find the similar Ebay types with the same ideas, which they are entitled to, to be funny... sending a part overseas takes filling out a simple form... yet many say its "too hard" (or just don't like us ferriners!)

And I wonder how someone moving overseas from the US plays out in that mindset... if you move overseas, as I did, do you have to leave your car behind (I didn't)?

pprince, aslan, Stevea and 2 others like this.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - CS/GT
8F01X : 65A I 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:07 PM

I'm currently selling a car and have a bidding war going on between a Dalek, Sontaran and a Weeping Angel.

It's a universal market.
Lawnjockey and PonyandTrap like this.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorzof View Post
I find the similar Ebay types with the same ideas, which they are entitled to, to be funny... sending a part overseas takes filling out a simple form... yet many say its "too hard" (or just don't like us ferriners!):
The funny thing is the rest of the world has no difficulty filling out that simple form.

Maybe its the school system?

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:00 PM

No comment, as I am a product of it!

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - CS/GT
8F01X : 65A I 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 repli-bute

post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:29 AM

I have no problem sending parts overseas. I CHOOSE to be part of the world market when it comes to making money and sending cool cars to other people who love old cars.

I don't have a problem with people who don't want to see classic US cars going overseas. I just don't care, because an enthusiast is an enthusiast, not matter where they live.
pprince likes this.
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 05:00 AM

Actually I know of a 65 GT350 and a 68.5KR that went to the UK and then when prices crept up in the USA they came back. Cars follow the money, it's a simple fact
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page