'65 clutch pedal spring removal - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

'65 clutch pedal spring removal

The clutch pedal spring on my '65 doesn't have the little plastic isolators on the ends, and so it tends to be pretty creaky.

I've read some horror stories about removing it, but then I saw one guy on-line mention that his clutch pedal "lifted up into a recess in the dash", which he said made the spring removal pretty easy.

What's the best way to get that monster off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 AM

Easy peasy. Remove the retainer clip on the end of the shaft. With your left hand push down on the pedal just enough to get off the bump stop. Now with both hands just wiggle it out enough to slide it past the stop and slowly left the pedal up to take the tension off the spring.

Take the spring off if it hasn't already fallen out, slide the pedal back in, put the retainer back on and throw the spring out. I used a very light one just to take the slack up and keep it from rattling.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Garage
If you're taking the entire pedal out, you might consider replacing the shaft with one of the new ones with the roller bearings in it. Smooth as silk...
Huskinhano likes this.

Working on old cars teaches us patience... and every curse word imaginable!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
If you're taking the entire pedal out, you might consider replacing the shaft with one of the new ones with the roller bearings in it. Smooth as silk...
Absolutely! I did this and it works great. I also made my own clutch linkage using rod end, even on the lower fork end. Very smooth and easy.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Funny you guys mention the roller conversion....I was considering hat too.

I've also read different opinions on how hard it is to get the pedal assembly out. Some say you should take the steering wheel, and column shroud out, and then pull the pedal assembly as a complete unit. Other people say you can pull the pedals, then pull the mount bracket without disturbing the column.

Again, what's the best approach?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny View Post
The clutch pedal spring on my '65 doesn't have the little plastic isolators on the ends, and so it tends to be pretty creaky.

I've read some horror stories about removing it, but then I saw one guy on-line mention that his clutch pedal "lifted up into a recess in the dash", which he said made the spring removal pretty easy.

What's the best way to get that monster off?
Whether it's the hood springs or the clutch pedal springs, the way I've used is to get spring to extend, then stick thick washers between each spring coil, many as you can. Then relax spring from stretching. Spring should now be loose enough to remove.
2+2=GT350 likes this.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM

It is absolutely possible to remove the pedal support assembly with the steering column instead but it is SOOOO much easier with it out. I did it a couple times with it in and now I refuse to, the few extra minutes to pull the column is worth the ease of removal and also prevents any possible damage occurring to the column.

I also agree that making a set of pushrods that have the rod ends are well worth the time and effort or money if you choose to purchase them outright, made my clutch so much more enjoyable than before.

Shawn

Quote:
Funny you guys mention the roller conversion....I was considering hat too.

I've also read different opinions on how hard it is to get the pedal assembly out. Some say you should take the steering wheel, and column shroud out, and then pull the pedal assembly as a complete unit. Other people say you can pull the pedals, then pull the mount bracket without disturbing the column.

Again, what's the best approach?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1032 View Post
It is absolutely possible to remove the pedal support assembly with the steering column instead but it is SOOOO much easier with it out. I did it a couple times with it in and now I refuse to, the few extra minutes to pull the column is worth the ease of removal and also prevents any possible damage occurring to the column.
Great explanation, thanks.

I guess I need to look more closely at what is involved in pulling the column shroud, as it looked a little complicated at first glance.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:10 PM

It's super easy, remove the steering wheel and hub, disconnect the wiring harnesses from underneath and you're almost done. There's two 1/2 nuts securing the column to the pedal support bracket. Once those are off and the bracket is removed as well as the wheel being gone just give it a few giggles and it will pull right now. Doesn't get much easier than that!

Shawn

Quote:
Great explanation, thanks.

I guess I need to look more closely at what is involved in pulling the column shroud, as it looked a little complicated at first glance.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:19 PM

You don't need to slide the pedal out on a 65-66. With the pedal in the down position remove the stop and then raise the pedal. The spring will fall out. The car that you need to slide the pedal to the left to replace the spring is a 67-68. The pedal stop is not removable on those.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
It's super easy, remove the steering wheel and hub, disconnect the wiring harnesses from underneath and you're almost done. There's two 1/2 nuts securing the column to the pedal support bracket. Once those are off and the bracket is removed as well as the wheel being gone just give it a few giggles and it will pull right now. Doesn't get much easier than that!
Thank you, that is very helpful.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Shawn
That's easy? I didn't touch any of that other then the 2 bolts holding the column to the dash. I removed the vent under the dash, 3 screws, slid the brake pedal out, removed the brake pedal and unbolted the support and pulled it out.

Removing the clutch pedal spring the way I did is easy. If you can push the pedal with your hand, you can take the spring out. All you need is a needle nose pliers and less then 2 minutes you'll have the spring out.

Stock linkage is for comparison only

Tom

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
That's easy? I didn't touch any of that other then the 2 bolts holding the column to the dash. I removed the vent under the dash, 3 screws, slid the brake pedal out, removed the brake pedal and unbolted the support and pulled it out.

Removing the clutch pedal spring the way I did is easy. If you can push the pedal with your hand, you can take the spring out. All you need is a needle nose pliers and less then 2 minutes you'll have the spring out.
I answered the questions he asked, he has moved on from just the spring and was asking about removing the pedal support assembly which I explained because he was considering doing the roller bearing modification. I concur that just removing the spring is easy, thanks.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I answered the questions he asked, he has moved on from just the spring and was asking about removing the pedal support assembly which I explained because he was considering doing the roller bearing modification. I concur that just removing the spring is easy, thanks.
Sorry, it wasn't my intent to sound snotty, I apologize for that. I'm just saying I didn't have to remove the steering wheel or disconnect the harness to get the support out. It just seems like extra work.

The important thing is there are several ways to do anything and do it the way a person feel most comfortable with.

Tom

Last edited by Huskinhano; 01-19-2016 at 04:04 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:09 PM

Very true, I personally would just take the column out because I've done it so many times it's quicker and I don't have to worry about damaging anything. That damn e-brake handle gets in the way every time so this way I don't damage my column paint. Plus it gives me easier access to all my ducting and wiring that I seem to love to play with every couple months! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Sorry, it wasn't my intent to sound snotty, I apologize for that. I'm just saying I didn't have to remove the steering wheel or disconnect the harness to get the support out. It just seems like extra work.

The important thing is there are several ways to do anything and do it the way a person feel most comfortable with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page