Has anyone used the generic tilt column on ebay - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodchuck
  • 1 Post By Rusted66

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone used the generic tilt column on ebay

Can someone give me some feedback on the generic steering columns on eBay for $180.

Thanks
Raw 28" Paintable Tilt Steering Column Floor Shift Street Hot Rat Rod GM | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:59 PM

Garage
Judging from the end of it you will have to put some kind of adapter on it to match up to what you are connecting it to, or weld in a 3/4" DD steering shaft. If doing the weld in route that will make your life more fun as you'll have to get the length just right and cutting that rod is a PITA. I should know as mine was like that and I'll never get that kind of column again.

I know you are trying to get it as cheap as possible, but this will not be the best route to take. Have you thought about IDIDIT columns? ididit | Custom Steering Columns

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

I'd like the ididit column. I've scraped together a few dollars and trying to decide what's next. Do you know what length column for 1968?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott00 View Post
I'd like the ididit column. I've scraped together a few dollars and trying to decide what's next. Do you know what length column for 1968?

Just call them up as they are very knowledgeable, and very friendly. You tell them what you are doing and they give you the options. It really all depends on if you are just replacing the stock column with a tilt, and still connecting it to the stock steering box or if you are connecting it to rack & pinion. Also to decide is if you want to reuse your stock Ford steering wheel or go aftermarket.

Since I am using an aftermarket steering wheel I went with a GM column as the turn signal mechanism is stronger than Ford, and it is over $100 cheaper.

Hope that helped.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 06:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Just bear in mind that if you swap to this column you'll need to rewire your horn system to a ground-switched horn relay activated system.
GearHeadPeter likes this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
Just bear in mind that if you swap to this column you'll need to rewire your horn system to a ground-switched horn relay activated system.

It isn't that hard as the instructions show how to put in a relay to make it work correctly as that is what I did when I installed mine.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I have a rod and custom front suspension with power steering. The steering wheel needs to be replaced
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
I have a rod and custom front suspension with power steering. The steering wheel needs to be replaced
I'd go with the GM column then. The wheel adapters are even cheaper than the ones for Ford splined columns.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

The GM ididit column or GM of the generic eBay column
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
The GM ididit column or GM of the generic eBay column
GM IDIDIT column. Call them and they will tell you the part number you need, then search for the best price on it. Sometimes it's them, sometimes not. You have to start with calling them to verify all the part numbers for everything you need.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 06:52 PM

If the Ebay part is made in China, stay away from it. They are cheap but junk, save your money and go with Ididit or Flaming River. Your life depends on it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 07:39 PM

Be careful what you use, some of the stuff out there is crap. Pay the money from the USA made stuff......Here's a link to an investigation
done in New Zealand on some of the no name type and good quality columns.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/in...ng_Columns.pdf
19079 likes this.

Last edited by Rusted66; 02-25-2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: bad link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page