Oil pressure gauge works intermittently. - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Oil pressure gauge works intermittently.

65 GT style gauges. I accidentally shorted the IVR a few weeks ago. Decided to try my hand at making one. Gauges worked fine at first but the oil pressure gauge started working intermittently and eventually quit working. Went back to a repop Ford style IVR, replaced the gauge and sending unit. The new gauge worked for about 10 minutes and quit. The other gauges seem to be working but the temp gauge seems to be moving around quite a bit and I dont trust it at this point. The ground for the instruments seems fine. I'm out of ideas.

1965 Mustang Coupe
5.0/4v, T-5z 5 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock
Web Site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievaL View Post
65 GT style gauges. I accidentally shorted the IVR a few weeks ago. Decided to try my hand at making one. Gauges worked fine at first but the oil pressure gauge started working intermittently and eventually quit working. Went back to a repop Ford style IVR, replaced the gauge and sending unit. The new gauge worked for about 10 minutes and quit. The other gauges seem to be working but the temp gauge seems to be moving around quite a bit and I dont trust it at this point. The ground for the instruments seems fine. I'm out of ideas.
Few yr. back I chased a similar problem with the oil press gauge. All tests said the gauge was fine. Went to a solid state IVR from Ebay and still no better gauge action. As a last ditch effort I bought a new gauge and all has been fine ever since. YMMV.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Racing View Post
Few yr. back I chased a similar problem with the oil press gauge. All tests said the gauge was fine. Went to a solid state IVR from Ebay and still no better gauge action. As a last ditch effort I bought a new gauge and all has been fine ever since. YMMV.
I replaced the gauge, sending unit, and IVR.

1965 Mustang Coupe
5.0/4v, T-5z 5 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock
Web Site

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedievaL View Post
I replaced the gauge, sending unit, and IVR.
You still could have a bad component in there. Ans since you had a short you could have damaged a wire which can cause all kinds of intermittent issues.

Ford gauge circuits were not not rocket science. The gauges operate on ~5VDC produced by the stock IVR 'pulsing' between 0 and battery voltage. The oil, temp, and fuel senders basically are all are variable resistors that go from 10 ohms (High OP/Temp/Fuel) to 73 ohms (Low OP/Temp/Fuel). The guages are fed 5V from the IVR on one side and are connected to their variable resistance senders on the other. The gauges are not -and should not be- grounded but the IVR must be well grounded to operate. If the IVR is bad then ALL gauges will have problems. If only one gauge is having issues (or, conversely, only one gauge is operating normally) the problem is NOT the IVR.

Paul

Okay. Engine Stop. ACA out of Detent. Mode Control, both Auto. Descent Engine Command Override, Off. Engine Arm, Off. 413 is in.
-Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 LMP
Actual first words from the surface of the moon

Early Fox: 5.0L HO SEFI conversion, 5-speed, 8.8 w/3.27:1 TL, full dual exhaust

1968 coupe - Ordered 12.15.67 Delivered 2.1.68: 8T01T, 65C, 289 conversion, hanger queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page