post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

How Accurate is This

Troy Arave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I'm trying to verify the width of the floor in the front and the rear. And would like to know for me and others how accurate this is. I'm second guessing some of my work I guess. I know you cant get these cars "perfect" but curious to what others have found.

Troy Arave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
Other than the A and B dimensions being swapped incorrectly on some drawings, the Liskey copyright diagrams are accurate. If they weren't, a whole bunch of people here would know about it, including me.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 PM

I'm curious as to where you got that drawing. Most Ford drawings had more information on them such as tolerances.
I have heard the dimensions were + or - 1/4 inch.

Modified 68 Mustang convertible, 331,AOD, EPAS, MCA Red Grille Medallion, driven class. 2014 MCA Pinnacle Award
05 Mustang, MCA Grand National Gold (sold)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

The drawing is all over the web. Been looking at it and using it for two years. I seem to be a bit narrow at the rear floor measurement. I can't remember exactly what it was on my car. I'll measure again tonight and see what it is. I've read on here and other forums that some of the measurements were suspect so I figured I'd ask what ya'll have found

Troy Arave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:23 AM

Garage
I have a 65 fastback that had the front-end wrecked in the early 80's before I bought it. I came to realize it had a poorly done restoration, so around '92 I removed the engine bay sheet metal, had the frame straightened at a local shop and new sheet metal welded in. The frame has been in storage and I just recently restarted work on it. I've tried to add several aftermarket products in the engine area and nothing was fitting. All the issues seemed to suggest that the engine bay was too narrow. I found the Liskey drawing and my car measurements were dead-on with the drawing. However, the frame rails still didn't look right - they seemed to have an hourglass shape narrowed at the shock towers. My lower control arm mounting bolt holes were 21.5" center-to-center (Item "G" in the Liskey drawing). I then found another copy of the Liskey drawing with different hand-drawn dimensions added in. In this drawing, the lower control arm hole dimension was 22.25". I took the car to another frame shop in town where the diagnosis was that the rails were still bent. They had the book of Liskey drawings, but said regardless of the specs, the frame rails were not straight. I had the frame straightened and lo and behold, the dimension needed to get the rails straight was indeed 22.25". Now all the equipment fits in the car and the alignment is coming out fine. I can't vouch for the source or accuracy of the hand-drawn dimensions , but I thought I'd share this with you since it worked for me.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George W. Liskey DSCN0769.jpg (87.4 KB, 61 views)

65 Mustang Fastback / Shelby GT350-Themed Restomod
2019 Shelby GT350
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - Carroll Shelby
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrud View Post
My lower control arm mounting bolt holes were 21.5" center-to-center (Item "G" in the Liskey drawing). I then found another copy of the Liskey drawing with different hand-drawn dimensions added in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
Other than the A and B dimensions being swapped incorrectly on some drawings, the Liskey copyright diagrams are accurate.
Are those the only errors? If G is supposed to be 22.5", then I assume A & B are also still incorrect in the OP's photo?

I'm going to put torque boxes in my '65 & want to make sure it is straight (check prior repairs) before they go in.

Current Parts Needs
Wanted: Late 66 or early 1967 Holley LIST 3794 C7OF-9510-B for S code 390 GTA
Wanted: 67 FB Floor console (blue preferred)
Wanted: Holley Metering block 5230
Wanted: 67 Radio Knobs
Wanted: 1968 Standard Black Seatbelts
Wanted: 65-67 K/H passenger caliper bracket & both dust shields

Please PM me with what you're selling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page